Calculating Abv with fruit additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
Hi. I know how using OG and FG gets you an ABV value. What is confusing me is when you add fruit part way through the process, and how that would affect the SG since it is not taken into account on the OG.

I have a batch with wildflower honey that is 1.75 gal. It had an OG of 1.000 on June 29th, so not very high for mead.

On July 12, the SG is 1.020 giving me a currect ABV of about 10.7% with fermentation still going on slowly. I have added 1.625 lbs of black cherries. I waited about 1/2 hr and did a second gravity reading - it did not change from 1.020. However, I know I just added some sugars and more fuel for the yeast to munch on and make more alcohol.

Without the cherries 1.100 to 1.000 would be 13.3% Abv. Shouldn't it be higher once it reaches 1.000 with the additional sugars (assuming the same 1.000 end) from the cherries and if so how much higher?

Also: used Montrechet yeast - reviews have it good to about 14% abv.

Thanks for feedback and I hope this makes sense.

Back