Calculated my beer intake, what's yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I decided one night while enjoying a glass of wine and watching a show about beer that said that the Czech Republic drinks like 35 gallons of beer per person annually. I decided, what the heck, let's calculate how much beer, wine and booze I drink in a year. Not a good idea. Figured out that the quantity imbibed annually at my house is shamefully excessive.

Now don't argue with me on these numbers.

I figure that I drink at least a beer a day. That makes for 15.2 cases of beer in a year or 34.2 gallons.

I drink at least two bottles of wine a week. That makes for 8.6 cases of wine a year or 20.6 gallons.

I go through at least two bottles of booze a month. That makes for 24 bottles a year or 4.75 gallons.

That all being said I made 40 gallons of beer in 2008, beginning in August and it is all gone. Of course I didn't do it by myself, but that isn't much the point. The real point is that annually I think the US is at like 3 gallons of wine a year per person and so apparently I am drinking for 7 people at least.

I have already made 15 gallons of beer for this year and am about to start another batch of fruit beer for my lady. I bottled 60 gallons of wine last year and am making over 100 gallons in 2008 to be bottled in 2009.

Where the hell does it all go?

Really what this post means, other than me getting of my chest some numbers, is that don't calculate your beer intake! You will find out that you have more beer in your veins than blood.

EDIT: Just edited the title to ask the question...if you like to answer

Of course your are drinking for more than one. Think of all those wimpy children who take maybe a sip or two per year for their first 16 years. We good Americans have to carry the load for them.

In Europe children contribute much more to the per capita consumption, though. At least in wine. Beer tends to skew older.

Yesterday I was horrified to realize after counting up my empties that I drank 5 beers yesterday. If I was to keep that up for a year it would be a lot.

I put back about three or four a day everyday. Let's face it, I love drinking.

A guy I work with, who binge drinks every weekend, thinks I'm an alcoholic because I drink everyday. I might over do it twice or three times a year, but that's it.

The only depressing part is the money that I blew before home brewing. I could have bought my place with cash.

I figure I probably average about three beers a day (some days less, some days more). Which turns out to be just over 100 gallons annually.

That's depressing.... I think I'll have a beer.

I figure I probably average about three beers a day (some days less, some days more). Which turns out to be just over 100 gallons annually.

That's about the boat I'm in.....a friend says I'm an alcholic....I inform him...I'm a 'Functional Alcholic"...I go to work everyday...(early....) and I pay my bills, and spend time with the family. One of the scary things about this hobby is saving the bottles. As stated above...the counting of the empties is a little sobering...(how ironic..)

That's about the boat I'm in.....a friend says I'm an alcholic....I inform him...I'm a 'Functional Alcholic"...I go to work everyday...(early....) and I pay my bills, and spend time with the family. One of the scary things about this hobby is saving the bottles. As stated above...the counting of the empties is a little sobering...(how ironic..)

Just another reason to keg instead of bottling!
I probably average 2 pints a day, half a dozen bottles of wine a year and 3 bottles of the hard stuff at the most per anum.
There are days that I don't (gasp!) even get to drink a pint.

Two pints a day whether I want it or not. Dammit, I work hard to make that wonderful beer, the least I can do is enjoy it and tell myself how much I appreciate my hard work.

Weekends can be more or none. Mostly more.

Maybe you should compare to the consumption on this board, Im sure it would make you feel better.

Yeah, I'm a fairly petite person and I can put them away. I drink each and every day, and never just one. I probably drink way too much, and can outdrink many of the big guys around here. Scary when you think about it. So I don't think about it.

At 135 pounds, I probably should consume less than a 200 pound guy, though. But I don't.

I don't drink any hard liquor at all (don't like it) and very little wine, although I make more wine than beer. I drink 1/2 glass of wine with dinner each night I'm home. I can drink a keg in 10-14 days if I'm working, 5 days if I'm on vacation. That's alot of beer. However, a keg is only 40 pints. That seems much more managable!

Been averaging about 3 bottles a day, but am planning to cut back just a little to allow my homebrew stores to replenish and to help with dropping a few pounds. Shooting to keep it below 18 12-oz bottles/week now, which is going to be much easier now that the college football season is over.
These days, I rarely drink wine, and I only very occasionally spike my beers or tea with small amounts of rum or gin to accentuate the flavors.

God knows how much I average. I would like to guess about 12 bottles a week, but it really depends on the time of year and if I get together with my buddies. I definitely drink less volume then i did in my "20's", but I tend to drink stronger beer now a-days. Jesus! I shudder at the thought of even thinking about this! <slaps the original poster for bringing this subject up>

I don't need a calculator to figure out that I drink ALOT!!!

I probably average 3 pints of homebrew a day and a fifth of Canadian whiskey a week.

My mom is 74 years old and puts away a half gallon of gin a week, so I figure we're pretty much even.

When I posted the first time I realized that I figured it as a bottle of beer and not a pint. When I pull from the keg it goes down in pints, when I buy commercial it goes down in bottles.

I don't drink in excess often. In fact, I get home from work around five and in bed by nine. If I drink four beers I am never actually getting toasted, or a glass or two of wine. You know what it really got me noticing? Just the shear volume. We drink small amounts many times and apparently it adds up. I have planned at least 60 gallons of beer this year and will more than likely go to about 80 minimum. At least I didn't figure out the caloric intake :D

My mom is 74 years old and puts away a half gallon of gin a week, so I figure we're pretty much even.

I have a great aunt that drinks four oz of whiskey every night before bed to help her sleep. She's 90. I figure that if she does that I can have my glass of wine :mug:

I usually pull a pint most days of the week, but maybe not every day. On Friday and Saturday I'll drink 2-4 depending on if I have company over or not. I'm going to be cutting back here and getting my commuter bike back on the road. I need to drop a few pounds and see if I can take care of this christmas tummy! :cross:

I suppose when counting a ramped up drinking schedule on the weekend I average about 2 pints a day. Some I have none, some I have 6.

I would say that 35 gallons is a very conservative amount of intake for me per year. I brewed at home last year about 150 gallons..............mostly drank by me neighbor and myself.

Then there is the 5 gallons or wort I grab from the brewery that I ferment at home too...........................its a wonder my liver results were normal when I had a physical last month:drunk:

Edit: I suppose about 25% of my beers made are milds and thats like drinking half a beer due to alcohol content.

In my house there are 4 people my self included. We drink atleast 2-3 cases of beer a week. 3 Bottles of wine. We get our hard stuff at the bars which is every weekend. We are not in college anymore. But we just got Rockband 2 and Guitar Hero World tour. We drink ALOT when we play which is every day.

Now that I started brewing at home. Well the first case is gone by the end of the night and I make damn sure the second case is spoken for. So now I have to brew once if not twice a week. Not a bad problem to be have. Exspecially since the roomies pitch in with the cost.

I also am a chef at the Exel Energy Center. They seat over 18 thousand people every home hockey game. Every night I see at least 60 if not more 16.5 gal kegs roll out of that place. Not to mention the 200 gallon garbage cans on wheels full of empty bottles of the hard stuff.

I cant remember who has it as their signature sorry I would love to give you credit but it sums it all up.

"The liver is evil, It must be punished" Very well said.

I use Imperial Pint (20oz) glasses.

Two pints a day, average. 40oz x 365 = 14,600oz / 128 = 114 gallons.

Burp.

:drunk:

I made 190 gallons last year. 5 were for someone else and I have 40 still in stock. That means I went through 145 gallons. I shared some, but it was mostly me. Let's say 130 gallons.

Hey! Does this mean I'm a victim? :D

I drink a beer or two a day and maybe a few more than that when friends come over.
No wine or hard liquor really.
Well ok, some wine once in a while.

You know, I just figured that if I drank 3 pints a day average I would be over 150 gallons a year. I might well be on that schedule...

For example I am off today and in another three or four hours, I will start digging into a growler that will be gone by bedtime. That is a mear 67oz (2L). Course it is a mild so less calories on my holiday belly. :drunk:

I think I am the only one on HBT that does not drink every day ha ha. I am lucky if I drink once every two or three days. I just dont feel right when i drink that often. I do drink about 3 - 5 per day on Friday and maybe saturday..but not every weekend.

I am lucky if I drink once every two or three days. I just dont feel right when i drink that often.

I just don't feel right if I drink that infrequently!

I have tried to avoid this thread. I don't really know my cunsumption rate but I am sure it is quite high. I have felt a little concerned about it lately. Just a bit.

Especially since I cannot seem to brew enough! :drunk:

I drink 2 bottles of beer a day about 6 days a week, well usually 7, but if I'm not feeling well with a headache or something I don't drink. Anytime my wife sees me drinking something non-alcoholic with dinner, she asks if I'm feeling OK...and she's serious!!

When I have home brew to drink I'm drinking about 4 or 5 pints a night or more until the keg kicks. That's why I start drinking closer to bed time so I wont drink as much.

I also went out and got a few more carboys so now I have 8 weeks worth of storage. That's about when home brew taste the best. This way I will always have home brew on hand and I wont be drinking green home brew. I will actually wait till its done aging, lol.

on par with the rest. About 3 a night, and an extra 3 on each weekend night. I never drank this much commercial stuff. Homebrew is just so much better. Some nights 0 (not many), and some nights 7(not many).

Did not have a beer at all last night. Went to basketball game to watch my daughter play in the pep band, and then back home and played guitar for an hour. Then to bed. Thinking back, I guess I could have had a glass of beer with the guitar playing, but never crossed my mind.

Usually I drink one or two glasses each night, but they are not always full. Sometimes it's a half-glass of IPA at a time.

College+Engineering+Keg of HomeBrew in fridge=Daily group meetings at my house and painful mornings.

Though I have tried to limit my self to one nice commercial 22oz a week

Ok i feel like an alcoholic.usualy between 4-8 on weekdays 15-25 on sat/sun.I can't help it i love beer!Oddly enough i don't get drunk too often though.On those Sat/Sun i start on beer right after coffee:D.By the way.Same boat yopper i'm about 180,Drink my Bigger friends under the table then end up driving them home.

I'm about the same with most people. I drink 1-4 every night. Sometimes more, sometimes none. Now that I have graduated college, I have only gotten drunk once. I just can't help that beer is so tasty and there is so much that I haven't tried! Since I've been moving, my supply is down to 3 22 oz bottles of cider. I move into my new apt Saturday. Hoping I can get my supply back up so I don't have to spend all this $ on commercial stuff.

Back