Cal Ale 001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
Made a starter last night, 2 pints water/ cup of LDME. There is a tiny krausen, the weakest I've seen in my starters and it looks like the yeast dropped out rather quick. Is this typical for Cal Ale? Never used it before.

I had the same thing happen to me on the last batch I brewed. First time with 001, and was worried it wasn't any good. 1/2 cup DME. 900 ml of water, not much activity during the first 12 hours - a few small bubbles rising, and that was it. No krausen, and it flocked out really fast. 24 hours later, still had nothing but yeast on the bottom and not much activity. I freaked out cause it was Sunday and the brew shop was closed, so it was either this yeast starter or not brewing until the next weekend.

Used it anyway. 15 hours into my IPA, not much going on. Woke up the next day, (24 hours after pitch) and BAM, it was a fermenting beast! Fermented super strong, and got through the OG of 1.068 down to 1.014 in 7 days.

Cool, sounds like the same thing. Brewing tomorrow. I'm pitching it regardless, but I have some harvested 1056 and some packets of dry in the fridge for emergencies. Thanks!

FWIW, if you read posts from old-timers here you'll find that it's not unusual for your starter to have little to no krausen. I've been doing starters only about 4-5 months (last Oct) and have had several where I feared the yeast was dead b/c there was no visible activity... but they've turned out fine.

I think you're in good shape :) Brew strong!

FWIW, if you read posts from old-timers here you'll find that it's not unusual for your starter to have little to no krausen. I've been doing starters only about 4-5 months (last Oct) and have had several where I feared the yeast was dead b/c there was no visible activity... but they've turned out fine.

I think you're in good shape :) Brew strong!

right on. guys, if you have yeast building up on the bottom of the flask, your starter is doing fine. starters aren't really that active in the first place. if you use a stir plate, you may not see a krausen. and if you're shaking your starter, most the time you'll only see foaming right after swirling.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
right on. guys, if you have yeast building up on the bottom of the flask, your starter is doing fine. starters aren't really that active in the first place. if you use a stir plate, you may not see a krausen. and if you're shaking your starter, most the time you'll only see foaming right after swirling.

It took off..

image-563114582.jpg

I'm doing my first starter ever tomorrow and it will be with this yeast + stir plate, will have to see how it goes.

H-ost said:
I'm doing my first starter ever tomorrow and it will be with this yeast + stir plate, will have to see how it goes.

I know that no big activity means anything, but looks like you should be fine!

Yeah... starters are bada$$... all I can say after doing one. I do 10 gallons 5 gallons got a starter from the stir plate the other 5 got just a vial of liquid yeast. The krausen is already falling from the one with a starter and the one without hasn't even reached high krausen yet.

When pitching starters I have had some fermentations start in just a couple of hours, others have taken about 24.

It is also nice to know that you are pitching viable yeast.

kh54s10 said:
When pitching starters I have had some fermentations start in just a couple of hours, others have taken about 24.

The sooner fermentation starts, less chance of infection. Rehydrated packets of yeast and starters have been going after a few hours for me lately. Good stuff!

I've noticed the same thing. pitch the right sized starter into well aerated wort and i've had a krausen in as little as ~2 hrs from pitch, it's generally more like 5-8 hrs, but i've seen 'em kick off real fast before, too. :mug:

Back