Cactus soil mix for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestem4

Reaction score
Hi there. I have seen a few posts online stating good soil to use for growing hops. I have my hop in just some regular potting soil (It didn't do so well with that).

I was wondering if those pre-packaged Cactus Soil mixes might be better fitting for hops? It is more loamy than others that I could find. I'm just trying to find an easy to grab soil mix for my hops.

Thanks!

Did you use any compost/manure with that potting soil? Or did you just throw them in potting soil and added water? What I've read, 50/50 mixture of potting soil/compost will give you good results.

I didn't, it was just Potting soil. So any kind of compost would be useful?

Three years ago I built my hops beds using loam, sand, and well-rotted horse manure, and each spring I fork in more horse manure. The hops have produced very well indeed, even the first year...

Cheers!

Yeah man, Hops are nutrient sucking machines. Add a mixture of 1/3 to 1/2 of a Dry Manure or Compost that won't burn your roots. Potting soil alone is not going to cut it. That's like a human trying to live off of just water, sure you might make it for awhile, but don't expect to actually grow. Hops arn't too picky, any kind of compost is better than no compost.

This may be a stupid question but google doesn't seem to be jiving with me today. Where can I get compost? I don't mind buying a bag in stores but I was just at Do-it-center and they didnt have anything referring to compost or mulch.

Home Depot or Lowe's gardening center should have it, that's where I picked up everything. Or just google for commercial greenhouses in your area.

Back