Cacao Nib Tincture: Anybody Done This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've gotten OK results soaking nibs in vodka for ~2 days and then dumping the whole thing into primary 12 days in.

This time I'm doing some research first, and it seems like absolutely everyone has their own completely different way. One method that looks especially appealing is from this link. TL; DR (and some additional details added in):
  • 8 oz cacao nibs, toasted at 250 F for 20 minutes
  • 16 oz spirits (I'm going to use bourbon, because bourbon)
  • Place in sealed jar, shake daily, sit for 4 days
  • Strain out nibs and discard (I'm going to eat them, straight or over ice cream or something. Because bourbon.)
  • Put tincture in freezer overnight, scrape fat layer off top
  • Add to primary after fermentation is mostly done
Anyone tried something similar enough to this that can share their experience? Or do you have an alternate method that just works perfectly?

I keep a chocolate imperial stout on tap always. I marinade 8 ounces of roasted nibs plus a couple of scraped, chopped and smashed vanilla beans in enough dark rum to cover, and give the T'ware a good shake a few times a day, for about a week. Then I dump the whole thing in the beer and let that sit for a few days before kegging, with some nylon mesh rubber-banded to the tip of my racking cane to keep the nibs out of the keg (they wreak havoc on a nitro stout faucet)...

Cheers!

Put tincture in freezer overnight, scrape fat layer off top
Love this! I pretty much followed your protocol with this exception. I added nibs to a cherry wine and the oil residue took a long while to dissipate.

I keep a chocolate imperial stout on tap always. I marinade 8 ounces of roasted nibs plus a couple of scraped, chopped and smashed vanilla beans in enough dark rum to cover, and give the T'ware a good shake a few times a day, for about a week. Then I dump the whole thing in the beer and let that sit for a few days before kegging, with some nylon mesh rubber-banded to the tip of my racking cane to keep the nibs out of the keg (they wreak havoc on a nitro stout faucet)...

Cheers!
I do the same but strain out the solids before adding to my keg.

I just did my first chocolate milk stout last week. I toasted the nibs and soaked them in vodka for 3 days. poured the whole thing into Secondary for a week, then transferred into a keg.
It's the first time I used a secondary because I wasn't sure if the nibs would just fall down into the yeast cake and get lost without imparting flavor.

I’ve never used them before. So I froze mine in an effort to sanitize them, and I’m planning on adding them directly to the secondary. Anyone ever do this? Is there a reason why people soak them in vodka other than sanitation purposes?

I've had okay success with a cacao powder syrup in a couple of porters. Taste was nicely chocolatey for a couple of weeks, but it fades to almost undetectable from say week 6 thru week 12. How long does your chocolate imperial stay "chocolatey"? (I bottle everything)
Have tried adding the syrup at bottling time and at end-of-boil, no appreciable difference on flavor fade.

Last edited:
I tried pouring some bourbon into a Baltic Porter I have already, and got a nice (admittedly strong) taste at around 5% by weight. So roughly I’m looking at 30 ounces of bourbon for a 5-gallon batch. This seems like a lot; never mind the nibs. Am I way off base, and going to regret things later?

You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already: Brewing with Chocolate and Cocoa — Chocolate Alchemy

I soak nibs in vodka and after a few days actually just use a pipette to put a few drops into my glass before I pour my beer. I can play with the amount, play with what it's soaked in, and have some glasses with none added at all. Maybe something to consider.

How long does your chocolate imperial stay "chocolatey"?

Well...a long time.

I managed to screw up my back on Memorial Day 2021 which eventually resulted in a three unit/2 level spinal fusion (L4-L5-S1) that November. I was only given clearance to do anything remotely like "brewing" just a few months ago, and as I rebuild my pipeline with neipas I've been milking the heck out of the last keg of the last batch of my 11-12% chocolate stout which was kegged June 27 2021.

I have about 1/5th of the keg left and it still has a ton of chocolate character. The roasty character has attenuated somewhat, but the chocolate and vanilla are still leading the way. So, almost two years?

I have a batch of my Fantastic Haze clone just days from kegging and I've gathered everything together for another batch of that stout. Should get to brewing it by next weekend...

Cheers!

I managed to screw up my back on Memorial Day 2021 which eventually resulted in a three unit/2 level spinal fusion (L4-L5-S1) that November. I was only given clearance to do anything remotely like "brewing" just a few months ago, and as I rebuild my pipeline with neipas I've been milking the heck out of the last keg of the last batch of my 11-12% chocolate stout which was kegged June 27 2021.
Damn, sounds like a pretty horrific injury!

I have about 1/5th of the keg left and it still has a ton of chocolate character. The roasty character has attenuated somewhat, but the chocolate and vanilla are still leading the way. So, almost two years?
That's awesome, I'm gonna give it another try, thanks!

It wasn't a picnic. The whole pandemic thing didn't help, either.

fwiw, I've oft mentioned that I've kept this stout continuously on tap for well over a decade now as a short pour is my nightcap.
It's going to be close but I think I can keep milking what's left until the next batch is ready :)

This is a half-batch for me at five gallons but I've found it's better to list 5 gallon recipes than 10...

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible! If so, only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes lest the pours turn into a chocolate foam fiasco...

Cheers!

Thanks for the recipe, day_trippr!

1679281271610.png

I have found that a high quality chocolate extract is much easier and provides a nice chocolate flavor. I tried toasted and soaked nibs in vodka once and hated the way it tasted (I hate vodka to begin with, and I could taste it in the beer). I was also told by the head brewer at Boulder Beer Co., when they were still in business as an independent brewery, that that’s what they used in their Skake Chocolate Porter.

I have found that a high quality chocolate extract is much easier and provides a nice chocolate flavor. I tried toasted and soaked nibs in vodka once and hated the way it tasted (I hate vodka to begin with, and I could taste it in the beer). I was also told by the head brewer at Boulder Beer Co., when they were still in business as an independent brewery, that that’s what they used in their Skake Chocolate Porter.
Do you have a brand name for this high-quality-chocolate extract? And a ounces-per-gallon ratio that you recommend?

Most extracts are made with Vodka. My mom makes vanilla extract often. It takes weeks to months . Try making some a couple months before your going to need it. You shouldn't be getting any vodka taste . You can't soak for a week or two and expect to get that full flavor extracted is what I've found .

It wasn't a picnic. The whole pandemic thing didn't help, either.

fwiw, I've oft mentioned that I've kept this stout continuously on tap for well over a decade now as a short pour is my nightcap.
It's going to be close but I think I can keep milking what's left until the next batch is ready :)

This is a half-batch for me at five gallons but I've found it's better to list 5 gallon recipes than 10...

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible! If so, only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes lest the pours turn into a chocolate foam fiasco...

Cheers!
5 gallon batch with 20 lbs of grain plus 2 lbs of honey added post boil. Wow. What is that coming in at - 1.125 - 1.130? Thats a real monster.

I’ve also experimented with chocolate syrups in the secondary along with cocoa powder late in the boil. I’m a big fan of Hershey’s special dark candy and I was able to find they sell special dark chocolate syrup too. They make a sugar free version which I think would be better to use in the secondary as it won’t ferment out. I haven’t seen the sugar free version on shelves for awhile though. It seems to be hard to find now.

Agree. I have been on a binge the last few years to try and get the chocolate taste of a Samuel Smiths Chocolate Stout. I've tried every combination of nibs, powders, syrups, etc. The closest I have come, and IMHO the best chocolatey taste so far, was in a recent chocolate coconut porter, I added 40ml (about 1.3 oz) of Apex Silver Cloud Chocolate extract. Added it directly into empty keg and transferred finished beer on top.

I tried pouring some bourbon into a Baltic Porter I have already, and got a nice (admittedly strong) taste at around 5% by weight. So roughly I’m looking at 30 ounces of bourbon for a 5-gallon batch. This seems like a lot; never mind the nibs. Am I way off base, and going to regret things later?
6 ounces bourbon per gallon of beer sounds kind of crazy to me, but if you tasted it and liked it like that (and double-checked your math!), I say go for it!

Wow. What is that coming in at - 1.125 - 1.130? Thats a real monster.

The 10 gallon batch takes the expected efficiency hit with such a huge grain bill while keeping the pre-boil at only 14 gallons, so it usually comes in between 1.110~1.115, and finishes between 1.025~1.028. Figure somewhere between 11.4 and 11.8% ABV.

If I wanted to spend more time boiling I could get that up maybe 10 points with extra sparging for an ABV between 12~12.5%, but that would in turn challenge the S-04 yeast which starts to struggle above 12-ish% even with a doubled pitch (2 packs per carboy). I'm happy I can reliably get it in the upper 11s and am not looking for much more as a 6 ounce pour already kicks my @ss into bed in short order...

Cheers! 😴

Agree. I have been on a binge the last few years to try and get the chocolate taste of a Samuel Smiths Chocolate Stout.

If you really want to torture yourself find some establishment that has Young's Double Chocolate Stout on tap.

Their widget-canned version is pretty good but their kegged version is sublime. The first time I had it (at the Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen restaurant out on Bahstan Hahbah) I ran home to work up a recipe without having a clue how they did theirs. Got pretty darned close by just throwing a crapton of chocolate stuff at it at every step, plus some vanilla at packaging :)

Cheers!

If you really want to torture yourself find some establishment that has Young's Double Chocolate Stout on tap.

Their widget-canned version is pretty good but their kegged version is sublime. The first time I had it (at the Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen restaurant out on Bahstan Hahbah) I ran home to work up a recipe without having a clue how they did theirs. Got pretty darned close by just throwing a crapton of chocolate stuff at it at every step, plus some vanilla at packaging :)

Cheers!
I live in Mississippi so I am used to a good torture. I have heard really good things about Young's Double Chocolate.

I had a run in with the whiskey fairy last night...... he was not a gentleman!😄

I did the below tincture recipe and then dosed my 5 gallon batch in the keg through the CO2 in post. I figured how many drops in 50 ml for flavor I wanted and then multiplied for 5 gallon. Easy and worked well. I can’t remember how much tincture I used. Actual website address at the bottom.

For about 6 oz of extract (usually enough for 10 gallons)

• 6 oz Vodka (something decent, but not too expensive - avoid yer "Popov" vodka!)
  • 3 oz Cacao Nibs (I prefer roasted)
  1. Mix the vodka and cacao nibs in a tight sealing jar like a jelly jar or mason jar. Shake every day, several times, for 4 days.
  2. Strain the nibs out of the dark extract. Discard
  3. Place the extract in the freezer overnight.
  4. In the morning, carefully scrape out the fat cap of cocoa butter and discard. Remove any floaty bits and then store the extract on the shelf for approximately a year.
https://www.maltosefalcons.com/blogs/brewing-techniques-tips/cacao-nib-extract-drew-way

Most extracts are made with Vodka. My mom makes vanilla extract often. It takes weeks to months . Try making some a couple months before your going to need it. You shouldn't be getting any vodka taste . You can't soak for a week or two and expect to get that full flavor extracted is what I've found .
Totally agree. I often make extracts to add to liqueurs I make and it takes at least a month, in my experience to fully extract flavors from nuts or coffee, spices or fruit zest. How are folk here able to fully extract flavors in two or three days? Are you using some method of maceration other than simply using the alcohol as a solvent?

Love this! I pretty much followed your protocol with this exception. I added nibs to a cherry wine and the oil residue took a long while to dissipate.
I just took my bourbon-nib-extract out of the freezer, and there was no fat/oil/cocoa butter to speak of. I mean, a tiny oil-slick-like bit if the light was just right. I'll see whether there are negative effects on foam in a couple of weeks when I try the beer.

Latest posts

Back