Cacao-Bana Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna make another banana beer this spring. This time its gonna be a chocolate banana stout.

Pale Malt - 72.73%
Biscuit Malt - 18.18%
Black Malt - 4.55%
Roast Barley - 4.55%

Golding - 1oz first wort
Golding - 1oz at 20 minutes

8 lbs of ripe banana at 5 minutes (meat and peel)

Pitch S-33

I'm on the fence about using Cacao Nibs. If so how much?

This is Randy Mosher's recipe for a Christmas Chocolate Mint Stout. He does this same thing but subbed the banana with one wintergreen lifesaver.

What's your thoughts on the cacao nibs? If you're for it, how much?

Wondering if I should try it first without the nibs. I've done a Fat Tire banana beer. The banana flavor is phenomenal.

Screenshot_2018-04-28-14-07-15.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-04-28-14-07-09.jpeg

Typically I use 4-8oz of nibs directly into the secondary for about 5 days at 70deg. I've done that many times. The last time I did nibs I racked my stout to a keg and used 4oz of nibs for 4 days at 36deg. Hanging the bag from the lid. This worked out easy and avoided an additional transfer. I'll probably do it that way from now on.

Typically I use 4-8oz of nibs directly into the secondary for about 5 days at 70deg. I've done that many times. The last time I did nibs I racked my stout to a keg and used 4oz of nibs for 4 days at 36deg. Hanging the bag from the lid. This worked out easy and avoided an additional transfer. I'll probably do it that way from now on.

Sounds like a good idea. I could tie a light test fishing line to my Stainless Steel Hop Ball. Clamp it closed with the line running through the large o-ring seal. After 4 days pull that sucker out and connect a gas line.

Is there a down side of having Cacao nibs too long on your beer?

Edit: I found that they can be astringent if left in beer too long.

Last edited:
Back