C02 Tank Outside Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I want to setup my kegerator such that the CO2 tank sits outside and runs to the regulator that would be mounted inside. Is this possible? Would I need two regulators, one for outside attached to the tank and one for the inside of the kegerator?

What parts would I need?

Yes, it's often done that way. You'd need one or more secondary regulators. This allows you to carb/serve off the same tank at at different pressures. Looks like this:

2010-11-24_14-39-54_924.jpg

The blue hose runs outside the kegerator to the primary regulator attached to the CO2 tank.

Do you need multiple pressures on the kegs? If not I would just run a low pressure hose from the regulator to a manifold on the inside of the fridge. If you do need multiple pressures you could do one of two things:

1) Use a high pressure hose and have the regulators inside the fridge.
2) Keep the regulators attached to the bottle outside the fridge and have a low pressure hose for each pressure you want to supply going either directly to the kegs to to a manifold inside the fridge.

Jason

I actually already have two regulators. One dual gauge and one single gauge. I currently hagve the tank inside the kegerator and run two different pressures using the dual regulator.

I guess my plan will be to move the tank outside the kegerator with the single gauge regulator on it. The run gas hose from that into the dual gauge inside the kegerator that would then connect to a keg and a distributor:

OUTSIDE=========================INSIDE
CO2 tank (single gauge) --> Dual Gauge --> distributor -> kegs

The only thing I'm not sure of now is what fitting to use to connect the hose to the input of the dual regulator.

I actually already have two regulators. One dual gauge and one single gauge. I currently hagve the tank inside the kegerator and run two different pressures using the dual regulator.

I guess my plan will be to move the tank outside the kegerator with the single gauge regulator on it. The run gas hose from that into the dual gauge inside the kegerator that would then connect to a keg and a distributor:

OUTSIDE=========================INSIDE
CO2 tank (single gauge) --> Dual Gauge --> distributor -> kegs

The only thing I'm not sure of now is what fitting to use to connect the hose to the input of the dual regulator.

Simply a 1/4" or appropriate size gas fitting. Something like this:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_131_575&products_id=1272

actually i need to clarify. i do not have a secondary regulator. I have two primary regulators. One is dual gauge and one is single. I need a barbed fitting that will allow me to connect a 5/16" ID gas hose to the input of a primary regulator. Where a tank would normally directly connect.

Can you post a picture of your regulator set-up? I'm not quite understanding what you want to do.

Below are pictures of my regulators. My goal was to move the tank out of the kegerator with only a single gas line going in while still having dual pressures inside. I was hoping I could make use of one of my primary regulators for this purpose, but it sounds like I should just spring for a secondary regulator.

2010-12-29_20-28-28_2.jpg

2010-12-29_20-28-44_575.jpg

Why not just use a HP hose and that dual reg? Would be much simpler IMHO.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/component/8406_high_pressure_hose.shtml

The other option is to get a barbed nipple to put on the "secondary" reg you put inside the fridge and run a LP hose from the primary outside to the secondary inside. Just makes for a lot of valving. You would/could also take the HP gauge off the secondary and plug it as it will have inaccurate readings as it will only be receiving LP gas.

Jason

yeah, I guess I could go that route. That's a $60 hose though and I was hoping to be able to use the equipment I already have to do this. Thanks

Here another option:

Attachment 18676

$ 8.88 plus $12.29 Shipping , but still around $20.

Here is the link

Look around the paint

That first link doesnt work. And the second one takes me to a shopping cart on some seemingly unrelated site.

IMHO there is no point in buying a $60 high pressure hose when you can simply buy a single gauge regulator to attach to the tank and a short length of 5/16" gas line to go into the keezer.

Back