C02 tank groaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fighthouse

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking for a few months on these forums, and had an issue arise yesterday that I would appreciate input on.

First off, I am new to kegging, I pretty much just finished setting up two taps on my eventual four tap keezer. Last night after I got everything hooked up, I turned on my C02 to feed a my two kegs and the C02 tank made a groaning sound. I left it on and came back 20 minutes later, and my C02 tank had a coat of frost covering it. I shut it off, and looked around the house for a spray bottle (to put soap and water in), but was unable to locate one.

Was this groaning sound a leak, or could I have a bad regulator?

They groan when they push pressure, it should stop after the CO2 gets in to the beer and equalizes with your reg pressure. Check for leaks just to be sure with that spray bottle you mentioned, you're most likely fine.

The tank froze b/c of adiabatic process which happens b/c the liquid CO2 is transitioning to a vapor.

I would be concerned that you have a leak somewhere b/c it usually does not take that much CO2 to maintain a seal and headspace pressure.

I forgot to mention the groaning was continuous. When i came back to shut off the C02, the tank was still groaning at the same volume it had been when I first turned it on.

This was a brand new regulator I received from the LHBS. I was using another one from them, but they gave me a single gauge regulator instead of the standard dual gauge they give with new kits. I used the single gauge one for about two weeks without issue. I made sure that the regulator was screwed onto the tank tightly. Maybe tonight I will unscrew it, and screw it back on just to make sure the connection is tight.

If it's continuous then it's probably the reg leaking, check that main seal to the CO2 tank the little rubber oring can give you problems sometimes.

I found a few leaks last night, all of them were on the manifold with the screw connections. I tried making the connections as tight as I could without breaking anything, but all that did was dimish the leaks instead of getting rid of them. I am going to pick up some teflon tape at the hardware store today and hopefully that will complete the seals.

After this, hopefully I will be able to drink my kegged beer.:mug:

:off:Psycho stick is coming to my city saturday night, I'll raise the few homebrews I have before the show to all you forum members:rockin:

Good idea, my reg came with teflon tape on all threads. Also, if any thread is loosened for some reason (adjustment or something), I tend to completely unscrew it and reapply the tape to ensure a good seal.

teflon tape has fixed several leaky areas for me too, including where my cobra taps connect with a compression fitting.

long ago I thought I had a nearly empty tank and cracked it open outside to vent it off so I could safely run errands with it in a hot car before filling it and driving home.

Thing had 1/4" of ice on it due to the rapid emptying and high nebraska humidity. It was probably 20 minutes before it was safe to touch it again (frost bite)

So I grabbed some teflon tape last night, and put it on all my connection to my 6 way manifold. It fixed most of the connections, except for one checkvalve. I even moved that valve to another port on the manifold, reapplied teflon tape to it about 5 times, but it still has a minor leak. I will probably try to swap it out for another one at the LHBS where I purchased all the valves.

Well I tried another valve, and there is still a leak on the manifold I purchased. I wrapped the check valve about 1.5 times around, should that be enough to ensure a tight seal, or do I need to wrap it more?

Latest posts

Back