C02 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnpaddler

Reaction score
hi, i have a question regarding the c02 tank. my refigerator is only large enough to fit one cornelious keg but i do have room for the co2 tank. i know that refridgerator temperature has a great deal to do with getting proper co2 into the cornelious keg......

#1. does it matter if the co2 tank is in the fridge or not??? I see some kegerators that do not have the co2 tank in the cooler!

#2. does it help to keep the co2 tank at the same temp as the cornelious keg by keeping it in the fridge?

i don't want to sound stupid, but i am just trying to do things right to get the best tasting beer...smile, thanks for any response-scotty :mug:

As far as dissolving the CO2 into the beer it doesn't matter whether the gas bottle is cold or room temp. It really comes down to aesthetics and space constraints.

Keeping the gas bottle cold wil condense the gas inside and alter the PSI reading on the guage. Since this guage is a poor indicator of how much gas is available in the bottle it doesn't matter but, when you are unfamiliar with the phenomenon it can be confusing to have a 900psi reading on the guage when you hook it up and then a 300psi reading 2 days later.

My sole reasoning for opting to keep my bottle outside was due to the bottle being steel. Over time condensation has rusted the bottom of the bottle and that in itself, I am sure, has reduced the lifespan of the bottle.

Back