Côte des Blancs for Chokecherry Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
I've been getting very good results with Montrachet for my chokecherry wine, and so has my dad; so, naturally, instead of just using that for my next batch, I have to consider messing around with a good thing, and run the risk of making it not-so-good.

Are there any thoughts on using Côte des Blancs instead of Montrachet? Here is the description:

Cote Des Blancs is a relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam. This yeast requires nutrient addition for most chardonnay fermentations. Côte des Blancs produces fine, fruity aromas and may be controlled by lowering temperature to finish with some residual sugar.

It is recommended for reds, whites, sparkling cuvées and non-grape fruit wines (especially apple, it is reported). Ferments best between 17°-30°C (64°-86°F). We have found this yeast to produce wonderfully aromatic meads, as well as wines. 5 gram pack for 5 gallons.
Pros/cons? Should I try it, or just save it for my apple wines and stick with Montrachet?

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I use CDB for all my fruit wines. Always a winner, in my opinion. Ingredients have waaaaay more bearing on how a wine turns out than yeast choice (unless it's like bread yeast...)!

I've done lots of yeast trials with cider, some OK, some not so good; if you have limited amounts of the chokecherry juice, I'd say run a 2.5 gallon batch with the Cote Des Blancs and another batch with your old yeast and then compare.

I've done lots of yeast trials with cider, some OK, some not so good; if you have limited amounts of the chokecherry juice, I'd say run a 2.5 gallon batch with the Cote Des Blancs and another batch with your old yeast and then compare.

Yup, this is the only way to know for sure. I love CdB but if there was any question I'd just try both then compare side by side.

g'Morning, everyone - and thanks for some good, solid advice. Considering that I only have enough for one 1-gallon batch, I'll stick with Montrachet this time, as it is a proven and good performer. I'll reserve the experimentation for a time when I have more chokecherries.

I've used Redstar Cote de Blancs yeast for Dandelion, Peach(twice), Maple, and starting yesterday, Cranberry wine. So far, it's worked fine.

Latest posts

Back