BYO "motorize your mill" questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
I'm motorzing my mill using the instructions from: http://***********/component/resource/article/1171-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects

I have bought all the sheaves and have the motor, however when I went to mount the sheaves, the ID (Which is 1/2) is slightly smaller than the shaft. Are these supposed to be hammered on or should I drill it out?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting. The spindle size is 1/2" and the sheave I'm trying to place on it, which was sold as 1/2" is a 32nd off. My next possibly size up is 5/8". I'm having a hard time believing it'll be more unbalanced if I used a drill press to take off the bare amount of material, vs going another 1/8" up, or am I missing something completely?

Hamering them in worked just fine. I shouldn't have second guessed myself and just used the hydraulic press at work, would have been much quiter.

yikes, try doing a direct drive, there are several builds on this site that have done the same - including mine. No big sheaves to worry about pinching points, loose belts and replacing them, etc.

I would rather have done that. The motor was free, got the rest of the accessories were 30 dollars, and, most of the builds that reference a motor for a price comparable to that are no longer sold.

Nice build btw. I also mounted the mill as far back into my support cabinet as possible, with the mill actually mounted underneath, reason being I want to be able to remove the hopper and have usable workspace, as I'm in tight quarters in the garage space I've allocated myself.

Back