Buying Used HomeBrew Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZJ0SH

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start buying my brewing supplies and I was considering going used since there is a ton of stuff on my local Craigslist.

For example: http://prescott.craigslist.org/for/4142726564.html

All that would cost upwards of $200 on Northern Brewer, so it seems like a great deal for a beginner like me.

What should I look for when buying used? Anything I should be aware of? I figure if I clean and sanitize everything a few times it should be good to go?

Looks like a good deal for all that stuff.
The big thing to look at is especially in the buckets and carboys is to make sure they are clean and intact. No scratches (or minimal) and certainly no cracks.
Obviously you're not going to be doing full boils in that pot - IMO you're not even able to do half boil, but it still can be useful.
I started out with the 16qt Graniteware pot as my kettle, and I still find uses for it in my brewery, though I'm at all-grain, full (5gal batches, 6.5 - 7 gal to start) boils.

That pot looks really small, I can't imagine he was able to use it for brewing? I planned on buying a pot anyway, maybe I can offer him $75 without the brew pot.

A 3 gallon pot is large enough to do a partial boil and many beer kits from internet suppliers are designed for 2.5 gallon boils, which are diluted with cool water just before fermenting. As to cleaning and sanitizing the gear: clean first, then sanitize. Cleaning removes gunk, sanitizing kills bacteria, but the sanitizing chemicals are not cleaning agents.

That pot looks really small, I can't imagine he was able to use it for brewing? I planned on buying a pot anyway, maybe I can offer him $75 without the brew pot.

Offer $75 for everything. If he is tight on his asking price then let him know you don't need the pot, as you will be buying one larger. That is a fair offer. Good luck.

Yeah,that 3G pot is big enough for heating sparge water anyway. I use the same 5 gallon (20qt) SS kettle I started with. So minus the kettle here too. Looks like aluminum anyway.

I was planning on getting a 7-10 gallon kettle, I have a 3 gallon already but realized it was too small to use for brewing.

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to see if I can find anything closer to where I live before I call this guy since he's about 2 hours away.

I might have a setup to get you started. I'm going to TRY and get all or some of my HB stuff organized this weekend(possible Vegas trip might get in the way). I'll try and stay in contact and see if we can figure something out.

Thanks for the info, and I got your PM Hackwood I will let you know about your offer, thanks!

I will make sure to look for scratches, I don't want anything getting stuck in there and it seems like it would make it really hard to clean properly.

Back