Buying starter kit. What else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
Picking up a starter brew kit at my local shop tomorrow. I bought a 5 gallong stock pot tonight. Can you guys recommend anything else I will need?

Here's what I will be buying

http://jwdover.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=153

Product Description
This True Micro Home brewing kit has everything but Bottles. This is a great kit for the starter. We have put together a kit full of equipment and all the ingredients to start you brewing at home. Just start saving any pry off beverage bottles to use later with your beer kit. We even added the sanitizer for the cleaning of them. You Get: 7.5 Gallon Fermentation Tank / With Pre-Drilled Lid, Lid Gasket, 5 Gallon Glass Carboy, # 7 Drilled Rubber Stopper, Air Lock, Hand Bottle Capper & 60 Caps, Thermometer, Hydrometer, 10” Plastic Test Jar, Bottle Brush, Carboy Brush, Bottle Filler, Syphon Hose, Racking Cain, Bucket Clip, 18” Plastic Mixing Spoon, Sanitizer and Cleaner ( Sparkle Brite ), Priming Sugar, 3 Pound Dry Malt Extract, Liquid Malt Extract, Yeast, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Book, Brewing Instructions SAVE $20 IF YOU PURCHASE A KIT vs. PURCHASING INGREDIENTS SEPARATE.

With the 5 gallon stock pot and bottles you should be good for partial boils for making extract brews... you can make some great beer that way!

If you are going to brew much I would suggest a bigger pot 7.5 would be a min for full boils in 5 gallon batches. What I have found in this hobby is that it is best to buy the largest equipment you can afford because you will want to upgrade again anyway.

Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of valuable information on here!

This looks like a pretty solid starter kit!!!! I think I spent about $160 with Northern Brewer when I started, W/O Papazian's book!!!

Welcome to the Forum HP, that looks like a pretty complete kit. As stated above bottles and a brewpot and you should be good to go.

If you have the opportunity I would suggest checking out some of your local LHBS, here is one in Akron. I travel 5 states for my job and this one of the best homebrewing shop I have come across and this place is better than most. I live in Columbus and we have nothing even close to either of these places.

I use a 5 gallon SS stock pot myself. It's good for partial boils,steeping grains,& is also plenty big enough for partial mash. So it should last you awhile. And the stainless steel is def better than aluminum to me. You don't have to boil it to make that coating on it so it doesn't leach metal into the beer. Stainless illuminates this.
JW Dover doesn't seem to have a lot of grains,but they do have specialty grains,spices,DME & LME,hops some yeast. Also a good collection of bits-n-pieces. I think I only paid them $3 for a 12'r of used empties. I go up there when I can get a ride. Hopefully by turkey day my car will be out of the body shop. Then I'll be up there more often.
Maybe see you there some day!:mug:

Back