Buying Hop Seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can get seeds because if you plant males it could be problems for commercial growers. I would look for rhizomes.

You have to buy root cuttings(rhizomes) and they can pretty much only be bought in the spring. Go to freshops.com, they may have some but it's really late in the year for planting them.

You have to buy root cuttings(rhizomes) and they can pretty much only be bought in the spring. Go to freshops.com, they may have some but it's really late in the year for planting them.

Correct, seeds you may get a male plants. Also check with supplier most hops require a true winter, I believe that Cascade as well as Liberty, can take the heat down here in Florida. Aphids and spidery mildew are greatest threats.

I bought my rhizoms at Hops Direct . They will have them for sale in March/April. This is when you plant them. Here is what they look like now:

2011-07-31_12-18-29_374.jpg

You might want to do a little reading up on hops before you buy. Hops vines can grow about 20ft tall. Scooby's results are pretty typical.

Unless you have a window that gets 8 hours of sunshine, have room for a rootball that will exceed 5' in diameter in just a few years and a 25" ceiling to hang it from growing indoors doesn't work. Also as already mentioned you have to have "X" number of subfreezing days per winter for them to flower. I've read of people trying to grow them hydroponically but for the most part it doesn't work.

You have to have a certain number of hours of sunshine per day to trigger the development of hop cones. Unfortunately, from what I have read, Southern Florida does not reach achieve this. I would suggest reading up on the latitudes where hops can grow. I think it is between 30-50 degrees latitude.

You have to have a certain number of hours of sunshine per day to trigger the development of hop cones. Unfortunately, from what I have read, Southern Florida does not reach achieve this. I would suggest reading up on the latitudes where hops can grow. I think it is between 30-50 degrees latitude.

Hours of sunshine a problem in Florida? Too many? :confused:

The farther north you are the more hours of sunshine you get per day in the summer. You know how the North Pole never gets dark? The sun sets earlier in Florida than it does in Wisconsin.

LOL way to kill my hopes and dreams guys. thanx for the information, all this is really good to know. I cook alot so I grow all my herbs in a little home made hydroponic style set-up so i just assume i can do the same to the hops. oh well, it was worth a try and many thanx for the info guys.

LOL way to kill my hopes and dreams guys. thanx for the information, all this is really good to know. I cook alot so I grow all my herbs in a little home made hydroponic style set-up so i just assume i can do the same to the hops. oh well, it was worth a try and many thanx for the info guys.
I know for a fact that the hops I mentioned will take the heat and will produce flowers they need to be outdoors and in partial shade 12-3 hottest part of the day. Just not hops I use enough of to commit the space and time to.

You can grow hops in Florida. I live 20 miles from the border in south Georgia and my 3 hop plants are doing great. You just have to make sure they get plenty of water and rich soil.

The farther north you are the more hours of sunshine you get per day in the summer. You know how the North Pole never gets dark? The sun sets earlier in Florida than it does in Wisconsin.

I see, but isn't the sun stronger in Florida? I found a site that gives the sunrise/sunset for areas in the US. I compared central NJ to Orlando Florida and there was only an hour difference. Still have about 14hrs in Florida.

NJ=Jul 4, 2011 5:35 AM 8:32 PM 14h 57m 20s
FL=Jul 4, 2011 6:33 AM 8:27 PM 13h 54m 24s

I see, but isn't the sun stronger in Florida? I found a site that gives the sunrise/sunset for areas in the US. I compared central NJ to Orlando Florida and there was only an hour difference. Still have about 14hrs in Florida.

NJ=Jul 4, 2011 5:35 AM 8:32 PM 14h 57m 20s
FL=Jul 4, 2011 6:33 AM 8:27 PM 13h 54m 24s

Also, I would guess that in early June and end of August, you would actually have longer days in FL than further north.

Back