Buying BIAB equipement, need some help about grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it will be. I think the one I barely got by on was like 24x24 or something like that. If you double up the bags I think you would need to split the batch into separate kettles to really get the grain at the water. I'm sure its doable, but you might be risking ease and efficiency. Wilserbrewer on here makes some great bags or you can make your own from the Voile material at fabric stores... oh I just looked...just search biab on the AIH website...there will be a bigger back there...

No, you don't want those for a full grain bill. They are fine for steeping a pound or two, but you really need a bigger bag for BIAB. Ideally, you're bag should be large enough the your entire brew kettle will fit inside the bag. This will ensure that the grains have full freedom of movement in the mash. Some people use 5 gallon paint strainer bags that you can find at a home improvement/hardware store, but those really are not big enough either unless you are brewing smaller batches.

HBT member Wilserbrewer makes custom bags for BIAB. They are a bit more expensive than the ones you are looking at, but they are the right size and will last a lot longer. It'll be money well spent.

http://biabbags.webs.com/

I don't think it will be. I think the one I barely got by on was like 24x24 or something like that. If you double up the bags I think you would need to split the batch into separate kettles to really get the grain at the water. I'm sure its doable, but you might be risking ease and efficiency. Wilserbrewer on here makes some great bags or you can make your own from the Voile material at fabric stores... oh I just looked...just search biab on the AIH website...there will be a bigger back there...

Gah, I can't seem to find a 24x24 bag at non-ridiculous prices shipped in Canada. What are the DIY alternatives that give just-as-good results?

No, you don't want those for a full grain bill. They are fine for steeping a pound or two, but you really need a bigger bag for BIAB. Ideally, you're bag should be large enough the your entire brew kettle will fit inside the bag. This will ensure that the grains have full freedom of movement in the mash. Some people use 5 gallon paint strainer bags that you can find at a home improvement/hardware store, but those really are not big enough either unless you are brewing smaller batches.

HBT member Wilserbrewer makes custom bags for BIAB. They are a bit more expensive than the ones you are looking at, but they are the right size and will last a lot longer. It'll be money well spent.

http://biabbags.webs.com/

Sweet, will look at his website. Thanks!

It should fit a 5G pot, but will vary with the dimensions. Is it tall, or short? Do you have a measuring tape or ruler? Measure the interior diameter please.

If it is too small, I would recommend NOT using two bags. It makes things more difficult, and you really want one bag for the freedom of movement and mixing.

If you're anywhere near an IKEA, I use these curtains. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90111980/ It's super cheap, and has two massive curtains. Fold it over a few times, clip it on with some binder clips during grain pour and stirring the mash thoroughly. Remove clips, put lid on, cover with insulation/blankets. Wait 60 minutes. Take temp and record temp loss. ( I lose 2 degrees with a covering of some blankets/sleepingbags).

I've used a WilserBrewer bag for about a year now. Great quality.

+1 to WilserBrewer...he's a very active member of HBT and the quality is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found 2 BIAB bags that would end at similar prices for me shipping included.

The ones at http://www.brewinabag.com/
and the ones from WilserBrewer http://biabbags.webs.com/

Can anyone comment on them and tell me which route I should go considering they end up at almost the same price?

Thanks!

Not the same price at all!!!!
I wish haha.

Here at wilserbrewer a custom bag is $26 shipped vs $35 for standard size and around $40 for a custom fit bag from brewing bag.com

Be sure to compare with shipping as some don't even mention it till your checking out. We are very up front about our reasonable $4 flat rate domestic shipping.

For the cost of a bag at other vendors, $36 will get you a 4 piece grand slam package at wilserbrewer including a BIAB bag, ratchet pulley, and a hop boil bag and a dry hop sock.

Sorry if this came off as self promotion, but I try hard to provide value and keep prices reasonable.

Thanks
Wilser

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Very happy with my wilser bag purchased a couple months ago. Perfect fit and top notch quality. Brewing our 5th batch with it right now.

My next bag will likely be a Wilser bag. However, if you are looking for a cheap way to get started, find your local fabric store and ask them for a yard of Polyester Voile fabric. This is typically used as a curtain liner. It is dirt cheap. The best thing to do is to fold it in half and then sew up 2 sides to make a big open bag. This will fit pretty much any pot you could have though it is actually too big. (I know because this is what I have) However, it works like a champ. If you do not have access to someone who can sew, you can always just drape the fabric over the pot and dump your grain in. Just make sure the edges of the fabric are outside the pot. Many have started this way and it works too.

I personally would go with Wilser for a bag. I have read nothing but good about him for as long as I can remember, and I strongly believe in supporting the independent businesses.
Just my $0.02

I made my own bag, sewing really is not hard to learn, particularly for something like this where it just has to be strong, looks are secondary. That said, if I ever buy one, Wilser will be getting my business.

Latest posts

Back