Buying beer online, ever done it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I'm dying to try one of the Westvleteren Trappist beers and I'm looking online. Has anyone ever ordered a beer online? Any recommendations?

I'm dying to try one of the Westvleteren Trappist beers and I'm looking online. Has anyone ever ordered a beer online? Any recommendations?

Seems as though the only place to buy Westvleteren is eBay. If they ship you an empty bottle, you have no recourse since you aren't allowed to sell alcohol on eBay.

They seem legit, but man, $40 for a bottle of beer? You are pretty much guaranteed to be let down. Just buy a few 4pks of St. Bernardus Abt 12 and call it a day. They are supposedly very similar.

I agree it's crazy expensive. It's more of a novelty thing, something to bring out at a party and share type of deal.

Seems as though the only place to buy Westvleteren is eBay. If they ship you an empty bottle, you have no recourse since you aren't allowed to sell alcohol on eBay.

Actually, this is incorrect. If the description says it is unopened and it ends up being empty, then there was false information in the description, which is a falsely described and thus protected via eBay/PayPal. Yes, they are selling the bottle, not the beer, but if they lie about the condition of the bottle then you are protected.

I got some Westy12 online. Only reason I paid that much is because some I got in Belgium was killed by United and I sued them for replacement cost. I did the eBay thing. Worked out fine.

That's a little excessive given that the beer costs a couple Euros a bottle.
The Struise shop carries it from time to time for a much lower cost, I would wait until they have it and buy it there.

To answer the title question, I buy beer online frequently.

That's a little excessive given that the beer costs a couple Euros a bottle.
The Struise shop carries it from time to time for a much lower cost, I would wait until they have it and buy it there.

To answer the title question, I buy beer online frequently.

Where do you buy it bro? I'm dying to get a case of Mcmenamins Ruby Ales for my folks. I just finished my clone recipe, but I'd like a few bottles to compare it to. :mug:

Correct the Strusie shop does carry it from time to time.

I have a bottle of 8 and 12 now. I am lucky as well my local bottle shop gets some and sells them to me even though your not suppose to. He charges 24 which is pretty good

Try 12 percent imports (http://www.12percentimports.com) they import beer (mostly from belgium) and they distribute to bars and restaurants in several cities across the country. might be a good resource specially if you want a full case. Or ask your local Liquor store owner... my guy will find me anything I want... cant hurt asking!

The only place I find is this online store, but the are in Europe and I'm a little woried about that...http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/Trappist_beers.html

I've dealt with Belgian Shop a few times. I haven't had any trouble with them. I shouldn't mention this but the shipping invoice came through customs as "Soda Samples not to be resold". That being said I'm glad I tried these several years ago when prices were more reasonable.:ban:

They seem legit, but man, $40 for a bottle of beer? You are pretty much guaranteed to be let down. Just buy a few 4pks of St. Bernardus Abt 12 and call it a day. They are supposedly very similar.

I cant imagine it being any better than St Bernardus Abt 12.
St Bernardus is my all time favorite beer!

I've bought beer online to send to someone else. I've bought a bunch of wine online (wine woot) and haven't really been totally let down. Usually I want to buy some stuff I can't get locally online but the shipping is ridiculous.

I did once a long time ago the only problem is shipping usually kills you.

Back