Buying Beer As A Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let's not forget "Bitter Beer Face"

I get a kick out of it today... how many IBU's can you cram into a WC IPA?

1648654062307.png

It’s still around, along with Rainer, Hamm’s, Schlitz and a few others. The trademarks are owned by Pabst; the beer is contract brewed by Miller.

Olympia was my beer of choice in the early 70s. At that time Coors wasn’t distro’d in MT and only the old guys drank Bud or Miller. The most popular brews were all from Washington; Oly, Lucky Lager and Rainer. Schmidt, brewed in MN, was popular with the college crowd (99 cent 6 packs of 16s). This was about 10 years before the Light Beer Era began.

And lets not forget about the mascots and celebrities. From Spuds Macenzie to the Bud Weis Er Bullfrogs, Kairs Bear, Bob Euker & Rodney Dangerfield doing Lite Beer ads. John Madden smashing threw the screen for the same ad, i think it was Miller Lite. The WHATS UUUP guys, and Mark Hamill of NCIS fame starting out as the adman for Coors. Their pitch was Coors, is the one. All grabbing a piece of the action.

I brew a decent amount of beer and I buy some, I like having different things on hand and sometimes I get done working on something and want something I can slam. Sure I've brewed kolsch and cream ales, but I dont always have one on tap so having a cheap can of a light beer around is convenient. I currently have a neipa at 7.5% and a british golden at 4.5% on tap, so I have variety in that sense but also I brew 15 gallon batches so buy craft beer for other variety and also to help me decide what I want to brew next. I do like supporting my local breweries ( @Brew_Dude41 if you get near mechanicsburg I reccomend evergrain) I can be stingy with my homebrew also, yes it's cheaper to brew then it is to buy but I put so much love and energy into it Haha, and as with plenty of others, I work 55 or more hours a week and have 2 middle school age girls, heat with firewood, maintain 15 acres 6 of which are mowed, the honey do list doesn't end, oh then hey, I think I'll brew this weekend... if I could brew as often as I wanted, I still would buy some craft beer, I like to try different things, but it would be far less. Oh, plus if I only drank what I brewed I would surpass the legal amount allowed for a homebrewer to produce in a year, granted I'm not the only one drinking it.... I swear.. :cask:

I went to the city the other day and picked up several four packs, and left a C-note behind.
St Bernardus Abt 12
Trois Pistoles
Celebrator
Gluden Drak - White bottle
Gluden Drak - Black bottle

I have a Belgian Quad on tap, as well as numerous bottles from over the years of my Quads, but just wanted something a bit different and as for the Celebrator, I have yet to brew a Dopplebock, but need to soon.

I want to drink beer at your house!

I'm in a "growler club" at a local brewery. I get 2 growlers worth a week. I have to pay for the whole year in advance, but it comes out to super cheap compared to paying retail prices ($24 for a 4 pack, no thanks). They release 2-3 new beers a week, so I have access to somewhat of a variety (they do tend to brew what's trendy, but will throw classic styles on occasion). Other than the club, I almost never buy beer because I have a hard time drinking the club beer.

I typically brew styles that I like that aren't as easy to come by like regular American stout. I only brew a handful of batches a year due to time constraints.

How about Shultz and Dooley "it's hard to argue over a ______, because they put too much love into it"
For beer advertising duos, I'm partial to Bert and Harry Piels for Piels Brothers beer. I've never actually had the beer as it's long gone, but I'm a huge Bob & Ray fan (you youngsters can look them up), and they did the advertising.
1648735905085.png
1648735945394.png

About 30 years ago there was a beer called Red Wolf. It became my favorite. As with most beers that don’t sell large quantities they fade away. I liked it so much I decided to try to brew it myself. That was the path to a hobby that has grew to a passion that led the way to years of enjoyment.

I try different beers, mostly when my homebrew runs low. What I have found is I like my beer better than what I can find on the shelf. I have about a dozen recipes that I have tweaked to my liking and a brew process that is always evolving.

Brewing is a great gift to have and share.

There is a local BJ’s that is a convenient, close to home happy hour stop on my way home from work. Their Piranha Pale Ale is a good beer that I enjoy. Last summer I joined their Beer Club, and every other month they give me a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans of something and a bomber of some big beer. I can fill a 64 ounce growler of any of their BJ’s beers for $5. As a Beer Club member, I get 20 ounce pours for pint prices. Along with the beer perks, there are food perks too. For this, I pay dues of $30 every other month.
The lhbs where I get my brewing supplies (Windsor) has craft on tap. With at least 12 taps, they always have something good to sip. They also offer a great variety of craft beer, cider and wine in bottles and cans, from local, national and international craft brewers.
There are some good local breweries that I like to patronize. It is nice to be able to enjoy a pint on tap, then take a 4 pack of cans home to enjoy at my leisure.
When I want to brew something outside my normal IPA and pale ale routine, I will search for craft beer examples. Recently, there was a thread on BF about brewing oyster stout. To this point in life, stout was not really a consideration for me, so I set out to try a few, and even found an oyster stout, among a few others. In the end, the oyster stout wasn’t very interesting to me, but I did enjoy an American stout and an oatmeal stout. This led me to brew my first stout this week, an oatmeal stout.

And lets not forget about the mascots and celebrities. From Spuds Macenzie to the Bud Weis Er Bullfrogs, Kairs Bear, Bob Euker & Rodney Dangerfield doing Lite Beer ads. John Madden smashing threw the screen for the same ad, i think it was Miller Lite. The WHATS UUUP guys, and Mark Hamill of NCIS fame starting out as the adman for Coors. Their pitch was Coors, is the one. All grabbing a piece of the action.
I have 2 Bud frog keychains in my beer stuff. 1 of them still works and says,"Bud-why-ser" after all these years !

How many can you get?

1. The beer that made Milwaukee famous
  2. Its the water
  3. Tastes great, less filling
  4. It doesn’t get any better than this
  5. The king of beers
  6. The one beer to have when you’re having more than one
  7. Head for the mountains
  8. If you’ve got the time, we’ve got the beer
  9. Make a ring. And then another ring and then another ring. Then you’ve got 3 rings.
  10. Australian for beer
Of course, my 2 all time favorites are : Schiltz "You only go round once in life, so you've got to grab for all the gusto that you can" (my life philosophy!)..and, my favorite for its simplicity...

Any item with "Old Reading" logo can date back to the 1940's era & beyond. 3 match packs i recently found and a re-sealable bottle cap. The bottle cap is unique I guess.

Attachments

• 16488159014551168252096.jpg
    16488159014551168252096.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 6
Oxford is real south and real east. We’re on the Maryland border.

Victory built a new giant facility in Parkesburg, PA in addition to the one still in Downingtown. Worth a visit if you’re from here and went to Victory years ago.

If you remember Stoudt’s, they closed up and aren’t around anymore.

If you get near Lititz, there is the Bull’s Head which is as close to a British pub as you’ll find on this side of the Atlantic. I love that place and don’t get out that way nearly as often as I’d like.

We have Iron Hill which is a chain in the area. They are in West Chester and Lancaster.

Lots of other small brewpubs, search on the area you’ll be in.
Parkersburg! DuPonts finest ales! Lol

Ironically, watched “Dark Waters” last night. That’s some scary ****.

Sure I have replied to this thread once before, and apologize if my comments are repeated, but frankly I do buy the of few cans when pipeline has been neglected. Have no choice but to buy pints when on the town or eating out. My qualm is the price for the stuff. $5 a can in the store, and $8-12 a pint in most bars restos. Often the beer is meh, but sometimes ok, is my experience. It’s a ridiculous price point here, and assume much is taxes. If beer was reasonably priced, I honestly don’t think I’d bother homebrewing.

Sure I have replied to this thread once before, and apologize if my comments are repeated, but frankly I do buy the of few cans when pipeline has been neglected. Have no choice but to buy pints when on the town or eating out. My qualm is the price for the stuff. $5 a can in the store, and $8-12 a pint in most bars restos. Often the beer is meh, but sometimes ok, is my experience. It’s a ridiculous price point here, and assume much is taxes. If beer was reasonably priced, I honestly don’t think I’d bother homebrewing.
As an example, I might brew 500 pints a year. I think my grain cost etc is around $0.50 a pint give or take. So let’s say $350-500 a year in grain. The same 500 pints are $4-5 grand plus tip at a bar. I’m also a decent tipper.

As an example, I might brew 500 pints a year. I think my grain cost etc is around $0.50 a pint give or take. So let’s say $350-500 a year in grain. The same 500 pints are $4-5 grand plus tip at a bar. I’m also a decent tipper.
Conversely, I drink waaaaay more since I restarted homebrewing than I ever did before.

I probably drink about the same as I always have. I enjoy the taste of homebrew more then ever but also have some stand by brewerys. If anything cost wise, I'll remind myself as to why am I buying beer when I have several cases on hand? I think it's because I'd rather save mine for myself or get togethers. OR it's because buying the occasional case extends my brew supply. Whatever the reason I still REALLY enjoy the hobby of drinking...uh...I mean home brewing.

Is it illegal to fish without beer? I know with many sports the spectators are required to consume beer. But for the spectators who do not consume beer, they permit other spectators to consume beer in their place. That's why I always have at least two to help the other spectators who don't drink.
Just doing my part.

i'm just impressed this thread is still going strong! 🤣

gotta admit, i've been getting my ass beat. had to buy 10 gallons of apple juice. somehow 'they' have got my 10 gallons of sugar wash i added wheat germ & rice bran, both boiled into tea too, it's only gaining 1% a day 😠 it's up to 7% but needs to go to 13-14%....

my apple juice probably won't be done for another week, got what should be 4lbs of 65% to add to a keg, malt is drying, almost ready for the kiln. but both my fermenters are tied up because of this slow sugar wash....

THE FIGHT IS REAL! :mug:

That's why I use 5 gallon hardware store buckets for my mashes/ washes. Can't let a slow ferment hold up the beer pipeline! Can't bring myself to spend the coin on a six gallon bucket either because all the ones I've looked at are $20! I simply can't fathom why the one extra gallon costs 300% more.

It is important to keep perspective with your expenditures when brewing wine, beer, or spirits. I look at the cost of purchasing the beverage at a restaurant or bar, then the cost of the grocery store and last of all the cost of homebrewing.
If the cost of a 6 gallon bucket is then constdered over several uses it makes it less painful.

I really don't think homebrewers should ever stop drinking "commercial" beer. Yes you may make beer you think is very good, and yes at a certain point homebrew will be cheaper, but at the same time if you're just drinking your own beer it's hard to develop your palate or find inspiration. Continual development of your palate is key to constant improvement of your beer. One of the reasons I think my homebrew has gotten really good is that I constantly seek out the best examples of the styles I want to brew. I don't think I would be making as good of barrel aged stouts as I do without using beers from Side Project, Toppling Goliath, and the like to set the standard for me. Also, maybe it's the ADHD in me but I feel like just drinking my own beer would be boring. So many other brewers, both commercial and homebrewers, have different perspectives on different styles of beer so it's always refreshing/interesting to see how others attack beers. I think when we rest on our laurels, thinking we make "good" beer and don't need to look outward for inspiration is when our beer stops progressing.

It is important to keep perspective with your expenditures when brewing wine, beer, or spirits. I look at the cost of purchasing the beverage at a restaurant or bar, then the cost of the grocery store and last of all the cost of homebrewing.
If the cost of a 6 gallon bucket is then constdered over several uses it makes it less painful.

I got an 8 gallon bucket once for those huge krausen wheat brews. It is, I fear, just that much too big. Size does matter. Should've stuck with 6 gallon buckets.

i'm just impressed this thread is still going strong! 🤣

gotta admit, i've been getting my ass beat. had to buy 10 gallons of apple juice. somehow 'they' have got my 10 gallons of sugar wash i added wheat germ & rice bran, both boiled into tea too, it's only gaining 1% a day 😠 it's up to 7% but needs to go to 13-14%....

my apple juice probably won't be done for another week, got what should be 4lbs of 65% to add to a keg, malt is drying, almost ready for the kiln. but both my fermenters are tied up because of this slow sugar wash....

THE FIGHT IS REAL! :mug:
I blame the Ukrainian situation.

Oh yes, I noticed your location and the entry-level threshold to the market is definitely ridiculously low in Switzerland. I did not get involved myself in the steps necessary to go commercial because I am purely a homebrewer, but it seems to be really easy. Heck it seems to me that every second homebrewer here is opening some sort of micro- or nano brewery at some point. Some of them are going commercial not even after a year of homebrewing (!). So at the moment it is kinda a wild west situation here with respect to craft breweries opening... how many do we have...1300+ "breweries" for a population of 8 million, if I am not mistaken? That gives an idea of the situation.
Not that this is necessarily a bad thing!
The downside is that you can find everything on the market: from truly great beers to truly terrible ones. And of course you pay the terrible ones the same price as the great ones (meaning hefty Swiss craft beer prices).
Knowing which are the good breweries definitely helps a lot here. And luckily, there are more and more really good ones.

I'm not sure about other European countries, I believe most do have somehow stricter rules than Switzerland?
Sorry, I just saw this. I am not sure of the rules in France or Germany, which are both very close, but I can imagine that they are not much more strict than in Switzerland.
The market is exploding right now in Switzerland and yes a lot of people are making beer.

Might as well. That "situation" has turned into a regular scapegoat for other situations in the US

thank god, i don't watch the news! er, i mean good enough at turning barley into alcoholic liquid, that i rarely have to buy beer....

edit: that i'll be one of the kids in this!

Cost is a *****. Current economic situation made me stop homebrewing and got me to get a job at a craft brewery. The benefits are double for me. I get free beer, they pay me, and I work under the head brewer, who has taken a liking to my extreme work ethic, and I get to learn more everyday.

Homebrewing was a means to an end at the beginning. Free beer I make. The downside was always that I was myopic in my beer purchases and also in my brewing. Now I taste all styles constantly and always learn more everyday.

Once you find your goal make a new one. Life is short shoot for the stars.

Until recently I never bought beer unless I forgot to bring my own to a party. Did plenty of research before home brewing and pals bring over beers that they want me to brew. Now recovering from knee surgery, the last of the Homebrew is dwindling. Hopefully I will b back to brewing soon.

Back