Buying a secondary ... Good equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBulldogg

Reaction score
I'm gearing up for my second brew and I'm planning to get a secondary. I'm paranoid about dropping a glass carboy, so my thinking right now is to go plastic. Morebeer.com has a plastic 6 gal carboy that seems nice enough (http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6531). It says I should also get a rubber hood to go with it.

Now, this is probably a dumb question but I have to ask since it's not covered in my beginner book: do I need another airlock for the secondary? If so, do I simply plunk it into the carboy hood? And what do they mean by "blowoff hoses"? Here's the URL for the hood itself: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16657

yes, you probably want to get an airlock for the secondary. when you transfer to the secondary, you will knock loose some CO2 that is dissolved in the beer and it will want to bubble out in some way.

also, the carboy 'hood' (more commonly called a 'cap' in this neck of the woods) is a fantastic investment, to tell you the truth. You can use a rubber stopper instead of the carboy cap, but the cap has a LOT of uses.

It can act as a solid rubber bung, it can hold an airlock, it can hold a blow-off, it can be used to start siphons.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910

Also, a blow-off tube is not necessary for a secondary fermenter, and is (in my opinion) only needed when you have a primary fermenter that does not have a lot of head room at the top.

A blow-off hose is basically a big, fat tube that you jam into the neck of the carboy. The other end of it goes into a container of liquid. Gas can come through the tube and bubble up through the liquid. It's a massive airlock, in principle.

WHat makes them special is that they will allow the foam on top of the beer to flow out and into the jug if there is very violent fermentation. I use 6.5 gallon carboys for my primary fermenters and have never needed a blow-off tube, but if I used a 5 gallon carboy for a primary, I would DEFINATELY use a blow-off. With a 6 gallon carboy as a primary, the blow off might be needed, too.

-walker

One word of warning....

Make sure the carboy cap/hood you buy fits the carboy you buy!

I have 5, 6, and 6.5 gallon carboys. The 5 and 6 gallon vessels take one sized cap, and the 6.5 takes a different sized cap.

-walker

Unless your name is 'Edward Scissorhands' your probably not going to drop a carboy...if thats your ONLY reason for not getting glass i would think twice.

Ahh... Excellent step-by-step illustration Walker. I got the same TrueBrew buckets you do so I think this'll work great. I wouldn't be moving to the secondary until most of the gurgling receded (1+ min between each) so I can't imagine there being that much add'l fermentation action going on -- 5 gal batch in a 6 gal secondary?

Bjorn Borg said:
Unless your name is 'Edward Scissorhands' your probably not going to drop a carboy...if thats your ONLY reason for not getting glass i would think twice.

I brew in the kitchen and I can all too easily visualize my 3 year old doing a surprise bullcharge into the back of my knees as I try to carry the carboy into the under-stairs closet. She's made my wife drop some stuff much lighter than a beer-filled carboy that way. What's your reasons to go glass though? I thought the taste difference was minimal? I read about PET plastic letting in miniscule amounts of air, but could that really make a big diff for just 2 weeks?

MrBulldogg said:
I brew in the kitchen and I can all too easily visualize my 3 year old doing a surprise bullcharge into the back of my knees as I try to carry the carboy into the under-stairs closet. She's made my wife drop some stuff much lighter than a beer-filled carboy that way.
This is one of the reasons I brew after the kids are in bed. It makes for late nights, but I don't have to worry about my kids running/crawling under my feet while I'm dorking around with several gallons of boiling hot liquid or a 50 lb glass jug full of cooled liquid.

MrBulldogg said:
What's your reasons to go glass though? I thought the taste difference was minimal? I read about PET plastic letting in miniscule amounts of air, but could that really make a big diff for just 2 weeks?

They are supposed to be fairly impermeable to oxygen. I wouldn't worry about 2 weeks of time in the PET bottles.

My only concern with PET would be scratching it on the inside with the carboy brush while cleaning it out. The scratches could make a nice place for bacteria to hide.

-walker

If you decide to go with the glass carboy, I would recommend a carboy handle.
It makes lifting, and carrying glass carboys a cinch, Heck you could probably be a maladroit like edward scissorhands and still not drop it. :cross:

They sell two different sizes:
Regular for 2.8 gal to 6 gal carboys
Large for 6.5 gal carboys only.

glibbidy said:
If you decide to go with the glass carboy, I would recommend a carboy handle.
It makes lifting, and carrying glass carboys a cinch, Heck you could probably be a maladroit like edward scissorhands and still not drop it. :cross:

those handles are only usable when the carboy is empty, right?

edit: nevermind. i looked them up on austin's site and it says you can carry a full carboy by the handle. For some reason, THAT actually scares me a helluva lot more than just picking the thing up in my arms and carrying it. I would be afraid of all the force exerted on the neck from the handle breaking the glass.

-walker

I'm new at brewing too. I've only brewed two batches. I have used a plastic secondary for both. It's amazing how much trub settles out in the secondary. I never thought about scratching the surface with the brush. Something I'll be sure to look for.

Primary: Sanitizer
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Blonde Ale
Drinking: Nut Brown Ale (Friends keep asking for more)
Planning: Red Rock Ale

I haven't dropped one yet. The only thing you need to watch out for keeping the rubber carboy hood cinched onto the carboy. They have tendency to want to jump off the carboy when being carried.

Texas65 said:
I never thought about scratching the surface with the brush. Something I'll be sure to look for.

I should have been more clear. I'm wouldn't be worried about the actual bristles of the brush scratching it, but the metal wire down the center.

I scrub the inside of my carboys pretty well between uses, and I know for a fact that I drag the metal wire in the brush all over the sides and bottom of the carboy. If mine were plastic, I'm sure I'd have scratched the hell out of them over the last 7 years.

-walkder

Imperial Walker said:
those handles are only usable when the carboy is empty, right?

edit: nevermind. i looked them up on austin's site and it says you can carry a full carboy by the handle. For some reason, THAT actually scares me a helluva lot more than just picking the thing up in my arms and carrying it. I would be afraid of all the force exerted on the neck from the handle breaking the glass.

-walker

Hmmm.. the guy at my LHBS said not to use them to carry a full carboy..

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Hmmm.. the guy at my LHBS said not to use them to carry a full carboy..

I usually carry most of the weight by hugging it with one arm, and steady it by the handle with the other arm.

MrBulldogg said:
I brew in the kitchen and I can all too easily visualize my 3 year old doing a surprise bullcharge into the back of my knees as I try to carry the carboy into the under-stairs closet. She's made my wife drop some stuff much lighter than a beer-filled carboy that way. What's your reasons to go glass though? I thought the taste difference was minimal? I read about PET plastic letting in miniscule amounts of air, but could that really make a big diff for just 2 weeks?

I like glass cuz its cheaper, easy to clean, and will last forever. I know those PET bottles probably work fine, but i cant see how they would be BETTER then glass, except for the weight, and/or so-called safety issues which are things im not concerned with.

MrBulldogg said:
I brew in the kitchen and I can all too easily visualize my 3 year old doing a surprise bullcharge into the back of my knees as I try to carry the carboy into the under-stairs closet.

You too? Good, Im not the only one. And SWMBO must think it's funny to watch her run crazy while im doing my thing with the carboy. She'll change her mind if she ever gets 5 gallons of sticky wort on the kitchen floor.

They have these which should give you a bit more confidence when carrying it. One hand on the handle and one underneath the carboy itself.

Are the carboy caps universaly color coded? I got my carboy in an antique shop and it seems well rather large to me. I purchased an orange cap at the local brew shop and its about a 1/4' too large? any suggestions? I really want to use the cap for all if its uses, but the local shop only has the one size and I don't really want to order two different wrong sizes online.

NEPABREWER said:
Are the carboy caps universaly color coded? I got my carboy in an antique shop and it seems well rather large to me. I purchased an orange cap at the local brew shop and its about a 1/4' too large? any suggestions? I really want to use the cap for all if its uses, but the local shop only has the one size and I don't really want to order two different wrong sizes online.

I am not POSITIVE that the colors are universal, but from my own caps, people's posts here, and pictures I have seen on the web, I am inclined to believe that the 5 and 6 gallon carboys take the orange one. The 6.5 gallon carboys take a maroonish/brownish cap.

The 6.5 gallon carboy actually has a smaller diameter than the 5 or 6 gallon carboys, so the orange cap is bigger than the maroon cap. I'm betting you need one for a 6.5 gallon carboy.

OR.....

your carboy is so old it is unique, which would kind of suck.

-walker

I always lift a full corboy by the handle but I have my other hand on the bottom of the corboy to take some of the weight off the handle. I've never had the handle slip off the neck of the corboy but I guess there is always a first time,

I personally wouldn't use one of those handles, precisely for Walker's reason. I don't trust glass one bit. Just grab the thing and lift with your knees :D

I'm going to try using a pressure barrel as a secondary next time. I can get a few of them for alot cheaper than a carboy. I really don't see the negligible oxygen exposure being a problem, I mean I keep beer in there for weeks with no bad tastes. If it is, i'll report back!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I've been thinking about trying come up with a harness made out of some strong rope, myself. I just don't know if I know enough about knots and rigging.

You can also buy nylon strap harnesses for carboys. Those seem a lot safer to me as that hold the carboy by more than just the neck. They look like this:

eqp3018.jpg

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1111&sectionID=2

-walker

That's what I do. In fact, I pick them up and carry them through the kitchen and den, out the door, across the deck, down the steps, across the patio, into the garage, and then set them in the brew fridge. (*)

I'm just trying to help the sissys. :)

-walker

* = then I sit down and rest because I am completely winded

I just use milk crates. Gives me 2 handles to hold it with, and have never had a problem. Go to the local jiffy mart and pick a few of them up out back. Just don't tell Ackmed behind the counter. *

*Don't do this in Texas, as it is illegal and there is a $300 PER CRATE for stealing them. You can buy new ones at The Container Store for under $10. If you steal and get caught, I am not responsible for it. I acquired mine legally.

Jester4176 said:
I just use milk crates. Gives me 2 handles to hold it with, and have never had a problem. Go to the local jiffy mart and pick a few of them up out back. Just don't tell Ackmed behind the counter. *

*Don't do this in Texas, as it is illegal and there is a $300 PER CRATE for stealing them. You can buy new ones at The Container Store for under $10. If you steal and get caught, I am not responsible for it. I acquired mine legally.

Actually, those milk crates at the container store are $14 now, and there's no way I'd put a full carboy in one of those! One of mine busted while I was carrying it loaded with bottles...the plastic those things are constructed from now is really flimsy...not nearly as strong as the "real" milk crates.

Back