Buying a refractometer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
I am moving to all grain and want to get a refractometer for pre boil gravity etc.

My question is what is the difference between the $50 ones on most homebrew sites and my lhbs and the $20-30 ones on ebay/amazon?

Anyone have a preferred brand/model?

I don't know if this is the difference in the ones you are seeing, but... There are different refracts for different measurements. I'm aware of brewing, distilling, and salt water ones.

Make sure you get a brewing one.

I noticed that when looking at them but didn't know there were different types before hand. The price range spans are for brewing specific ones though.

I've also heard to get one that has a metal body… I ordered one for $25 off amazon. Should be here tomorrow for brew day. Just use the brix side and convert with software to SG. It will be more accurate than trying to use the SG scale on a refractometer. Even if it is "corrected."

I've also heard to get one that has a metal body… I ordered one for $25 off amazon. Should be here tomorrow for brew day. Just use the brix side and convert with software to SG. It will be more accurate than trying to use the SG scale on a refractometer. Even if it is "corrected."

I've got one that is very silimiar - and it works great... Agrees with my hydometer.

Back