Buying a keg, legally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excaptn

Reaction score
I am trying to buy a keg legally and am getting the run around. Has anyone had any success? Even better, anyone know of somewhere on long island who sells them?

Say what, now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but buying a used keg is legal anywhere. There's no laws against buying or owning one.

I could see a problem if you're underage, and the keg has beer in it, but not if it's empty/used/unwanted.

Have you tried searching Craigslist?

What type of keg are you looking for?

to clarify, I presume you mean getting a sanke and not simply paying the deposit since then it would still be owned by the brewery, correct? If that's the case, there are threads out there about where to legitimately purchase commercial sanke kegs. some probably at the bottom of this page.

to clarify, I presume you mean getting a sanke and not simply paying the deposit since then it would still be owned by the brewery, correct? If that's the case, there are threads out there about where to legitimately purchase commercial sanke kegs. some probably at the bottom of this page.

That is correct, I want to make a keggle, but don't want to 'steal' the keg from the brewery. I also don't want to pay to have something shipped if at all possible.

You might call a distributor and inquire about getting damaged kegs. I had no luck when I tried it, but others have claimed to be successful in hunting down used kegs in this fashion.

I know returning the keg is considered the right thing to do, but why would it be stealing if you don't? They take a deposit, and if it's not enough to cover replacement cost, they should charge a higher deposit. Isnt' that what a deposit is taken for, to cover the replacement cost if it's not returned, and as an incentive to get you to return it?

I ended up with my 5 & 15 gallon kegs because they changed the law on kegs after I already had these two. They now require that a red plastic tag is clipped on the keg handle when you pick it up so they can track down the purchaser if underage drinkers are caught drinking from it. If the red tag is missing or not attached, they will not accept the keg back at the store it was purchased. Then what? Are you supposed to just give it back to the mfr and forfeit the deposit?

I had a 5 & 15 gallon in my kegerator, which I didn't always keep filled. Sometimes it would go 3-6 months or longer unused. During this period they changed the law, and I couldn't return the kegs to get my deposit back or use as an exchange. Sorry, but I paid a deposit, and I'll be damned if I'm just going to give the kegs back now.

Now, before I get beat up by the moral police, I'm not suggesting that the OP go pick up a keg and keep it, just that the deposit should cover the cost to replace it if it doesn't get returned. Like when you get a co2 tank.

Last week I bought 2 legal kegs from my local metal scrapyard/recycle center for $30 each.

I know returning the keg is considered the right thing to do, but why would it be stealing if you don't? They take a deposit, and if it's not enough to cover replacement cost, they should charge a higher deposit. Isnt' that what a deposit is taken for, to cover the replacement cost if it's not returned, and as an incentive to get you to return it?

I ended up with my 5 & 15 gallon kegs because they changed the law on kegs after I already had these two. They now require that a red plastic tag is clipped on the keg handle when you pick it up so they can track down the purchaser if underage drinkers are caught drinking from it. If the red tag is missing or not attached, they will not accept the keg back at the store it was purchased. Then what? Are you supposed to just give it back to the mfr and forfeit the deposit?

I had a 5 & 15 gallon in my kegerator, which I didn't always keep filled. Sometimes it would go 3-6 months or longer unused. During this period they changed the law, and I couldn't return the kegs to get my deposit back or use as an exchange. Sorry, but I paid a deposit, and I'll be damned if I'm just going to give the kegs back now.

Now, before I get beat up by the moral police, I'm not suggesting that the OP go pick up a keg and keep it, just that the deposit should cover the cost to replace it if it doesn't get returned. Like when you get a co2 tank.

When you rent an apartment, you pay a deposit. If you forfeit the deposit does that make the apartment your's?

How about tools from a tool rental?

When you rent an apartment, you pay a deposit. If you forfeit the deposit does that make the apartment your's?

How about tools from a tool rental?

You're talking about a whole different animal. I've never signed anything on a keg deposit that requires me to pay anything other than the cost of the beer & deposit (unlike an apartment lease or tool rental which does) should it not be returned.

Here's a quick google of a keg deposit agreement: keg agreement. This is pretty similar to any keg agreement I've signed, and nowhere in it does it state that it is stealing or that any other amount is due should it not be returned. From the way this specific agreement reads, you simply forfeit the deposit. So how is that stealing? If it were, I would think the agreement would state that, as well as the consequences of not returning it (such as an apartment lease or rental agreement does).

Again, not trying to say you should do it (or start a pissing match here :mug:) just that I don't see how it's stealing if this is the agreement the retailer puts out there.

Our local beer store manager is a homebrewer. He has told me that if I need a keg to convert, just pay his store the $40 deposit, and he'll give me an empty keg. I haven't done this yet for a couple of reasons, and even though he offered, I don't feel that it is the right thing to do. Craig's list here has them for $100. I like the salvage/recycle yard idea best, so I may go check ours out.

Also, Sierra Nevada Brewery and Anchor Steam are within driving distance...

ps. are the 15 gal. varieties aluminum or stainless?

I work in Manhattan and found 2 kegs that were being thrown out with the recycles, both in great shape. I also did a craigslist search and have found a couple of kegs available on Long Island. If you want a Coors light keg, I have a spare you can have for free. It's the older style with the bulge in the middle. PM me

If the landlord doesn't return your deposit without reason, then yeah, kind of. The usual response is a lien on the property.

oh, christ. call a brewery. call a brewery directly. do not deal with distributors. effem. got the runaround from the big one here, AND from A.B. in N.H.

I called a local boston brewery named after a whale killling utensil, and had 3 kegs destined for recycling given to me for (something like) 21$ EACH. 'Course, the stem necks WERE dented off-center by *well* more than 1.286 degrees!

hell, if you are out on the G-Island call up a VINYARD!

If you plan to chop the sanke to make a keggle does it matter if the stem is bent?

These days tool rental agreements usually just require you to leave a credit card number that they can charge a replacement cost to if you never come back. And if you read your apartment lease it probably says that they will bill you if the repair/cleaning costs when you move out come to more than the security deposit.

If you don't sign a lease or rental agreement when you pick up a full keg then no liquor store in the world is going to be dumb enough to make the deposit less than the replacement cost.

I would be interested to see if there is a realitionship between the cost of the deposit and the number available on CL.

If you don't sign a lease or rental agreement when you pick up a full keg then no liquor store in the world is going to be dumb enough to make the deposit less than the replacement cost.

I think there are some logical problems with this statement.

1. The deposit can be less than replacement cost because there are some decent people in this world who will return their kegs.
2. The liquor store doesn't own the keg or determine the deposit.
3. Deposits on kegs are limited by statute in a number of jurisdictions.

There is one factual problem.

1. It is easily observable that keg deposits are far lower than the price of kegs. You can even observe this indirectly by the desire of home brewers to steal kegs from breweries for the cost of the deposit.

These days tool rental agreements usually just require you to leave a credit card number that they can charge a replacement cost to if you never come back. And if you read your apartment lease it probably says that they will bill you if the repair/cleaning costs when you move out come to more than the security deposit.

I am not the moral police, so you do what you think is right. I just like folks to understand that the breweries would like to have their kegs back.

And... my reference to apartments and tool rentals was meant to be an exaggeration to dispute the idea that forfeiting a deposit should entitle you to keep a keg.

Stainless has gone up, I bought a guiness and a miller keg at the reclaim yard a couple of days ago but they cost me $88. At least now I don't need any more.

if you live in a city where theres a college or a university either watch right after major party weekend or wait till may or june when they all move out you could posswibly find some

You're talking about a whole different animal. I've never signed anything on a keg deposit that requires me to pay anything other than the cost of the beer & deposit (unlike an apartment lease or tool rental which does) should it not be returned.

Here's a quick google of a keg deposit agreement: keg agreement. This is pretty similar to any keg agreement I've signed, and nowhere in it does it state that it is stealing or that any other amount is due should it not be returned. From the way this specific agreement reads, you simply forfeit the deposit. So how is that stealing? If it were, I would think the agreement would state that, as well as the consequences of not returning it (such as an apartment lease or rental agreement does).

Again, not trying to say you should do it (or start a pissing match here :mug:) just that I don't see how it's stealing if this is the agreement the retailer puts out there.

:off: Would you buy a keg of beer if the deposit was $200? Probably not. That's why the deposit is only $30. It is technically stealing to not return it, whether you want to adnit it or not. Like you said, no pissing matches, just clarification. :mug: :off:

Well, I guess we got off the intended topic of where I can get a keg without having to pay a deposit with no return.
Answer-Beer distributors or a local Micro Brewery will be my best bet, the big three will not be any help. Or I could find a helpful home brewer who is willing and able to help me out (THANK YOU!).

Thank you all for the help, and your opinions on the issue.

The moral debate has been done to death. The thread will be closed if suggestions to "keep the keg for the deposit" continue to surface. The OP asked for a legitimate way to buy a keg, not a way to justify obviously underhanded actions.

If you want a new keg, Geemacher in eastern PA will sell them for $128 (I believe the Sabco ones for $129 are used and you have to pay $100 more for an upgrade to new).

You can call Geemacher or do an online e-mail request (better chance of getting a response with a phone call based on my experience). They will sell individual kegs.

http://www.geemacher.com/

My apologies to Yuri and the OP, I simply read the topic as how to get a keg legally, so that was the topic I replied to. I've only been on here a couple months, and didn't realize it had been previously beaten to death. :mug:

Yup, got mine from CL as well. As for the red tags mentioned, I got a keg filled Friday (swapped my keg for theirs) and there were no tags on the one I received. I've never seen them on any keg in this area for that matter. Perhaps it is a state law?

If you plan to chop the sanke to make a keggle does it matter if the stem is bent?

nope, not at all. I was saying that, to ME, the kegs looked like they were in GREAT shape (with a bit of a sarcastic smirk).

If you purchase beer in kegged form, you do not get title to the keg- only the beer that comes within it. The keg remains the property of the brewery or distributor during this process.

Beer kegs become hot commodity for thieves

Some states mandate the deposit cost. Kegs also cost between $140-$160 new for breweries and distributors, so it is unlikely that they are able to replace "stolen" kegs with the forfeited deposits. I've never seen deposits in the $170-$200 range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back