Buy new dual vale regulator or convert my single?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockwise

Reaction score
I went to the local gas supply store to try to get fittings, regulator, etc. to convert my single regulator(dual gauge) to a double, but had no luck. The idea was to convert my dual gauge regulator to something like this:

9290.jpg

But I just answered my own question I think. I already have a stainless tee and will pick upsome tubing, clamps, etc. and this:

9287.jpg

Adding a second keg, but also need a second line sooner rather than later for my new Blichmann beer gun.

Am I doing this wrong... or does anyone have anything to add? :confused:

Not sure what exactly you're planning, but that looks like a secondary regulator. They are connected to the outlet of your primary regulator and require a low pressure input. You would need at least two of them set up that way, connected to the primary regulator.

Two primary regulators on the other hand would accomplish the same thing, but you would need to connect both to the high pressure line directly from the CO2 tank. In the first photo are two primary regulators, as each regulator can pass the high pressure gas directly from right to left. They don't necessarily have to be mounted to the CO2 tank itself though, there are remote lines you can use.

Are you looking to have two different serving pressures? If not, just use a tee after your primary regulator, no additional regulators required.

Not sure what exactly you're planning, but that looks like a secondary regulator. They are connected to the outlet of your primary regulator and require a low pressure input. You would need at least two of them set up that way, connected to the primary regulator.

Two primary regulators on the other hand would accomplish the same thing, but you would need to connect both to the high pressure line directly from the CO2 tank. In the first photo are two primary regulators, as each regulator can pass the high pressure gas directly from right to left. They don't necessarily have to be mounted to the CO2 tank itself though, there are remote lines you can use.

Are you looking to have two different serving pressures? If not, just use a tee after your primary regulator, no additional regulators required.

Yeah. 2 different serving pressures.

Secondary regulators are nice when you want to have control of your pressure at a location not near your CO2 tank (think commercial setup, with CO2 tank outside), it allows you to run a lower pressure line from your tank.
With a secondary your pressure needs to be less than the primary. So you need to pay attention to what line is at a higher pressure. If you use 2 primary regulators (first picture) you don't have to pay as much attention. Micromatic has all the parts you need, they also have a regulator that connects between the tank and your current regulator (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-641-AddOn.html)

Secondary regulators are nice when you want to have control of your pressure at a location not near your CO2 tank (think commercial setup, with CO2 tank outside), it allows you to run a lower pressure line from your tank.
With a secondary your pressure needs to be less than the primary. So you need to pay attention to what line is at a higher pressure. If you use 2 primary regulators (first picture) you don't have to pay as much attention. Micromatic has all the parts you need, they also have a regulator that connects between the tank and your current regulator (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-641-AddOn.html)

I think I'll just buy the 3 guage, dual regulator. It will save me some headache and possibly some cash, especially after I sell my used current regulator. Screw turning my setup into some sort of frankenstien mess.

Thanks for the advice.

Found something even better. Same manufacturer as my current regulator. Cheap. $40 for an add on.

http://www.kegoutlet.com/co2-regulator-add-a-body-chudnow-left-handed-thread.html

RG350L.jpg

They also sell the coupler to connect the two regulator bodies. They don't show some of the hardware on their site, but they said they can put together the parts I asked about. That's the cheapest option I saw. Thinking about doing something similar to have a line free for higher pressures.

I have a 4-way manifold, so I could have the primary set high with one line coming off, then the secondary set lower and running to the manifold.

I don't have 5 kegs, but was planning ahead when I got the distributor.

One other savings you can get if you are putting together a new set up is to skip the tank gauge. As I understand it, it doesn't really tell you anything important if you have a small tank. It's not much but can save a few bucks.

Back