Butyric acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldoc1031

Reaction score
I brewed a berliner weiss 2 months ago and attempted a sour mash. I heard it supposed to stink and everything I've read speaks about an unpleasant aroma when it's done in the sour mash. The smell of vomit is subtle but it doesn't taste like it. Will the smell ever go away?

It can stink, but I wouldn't say it's supposed to stink. If it's still in the fermenter, you can try pitching some brett. Some brett strains will convert it to ethyl butyrate which is similar to a pineapple flavor/aroma. Any idea what your pH is? From what I've read, the strains of brett that can convert it are less effective at converting it in the presence of lactic acid, so I would think that the more sour your beer is, the less effective it will be. I haven't seen much on exactly which brett strains are the most effective at converting it...maybe pitch a blend like The Yeast Bay's Amalgamation.

Back