Buttery Taste in Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been working on an American style Lager and can't seem to shake the buttery taste and smell. Any advice?

Grain Bill
11lbs 2 row pale malt
12oz Munich 20
8oz cara-pils
4oz flaked corn
4oz melanoiden

Wyeast #2000 - Budvar Lager (3L starter)

25IBU's using Willamette and Challenger Hops

-Primary 14 days at 50F
-Diacetyl rest 3 days at 60F
-Lager 21 days starting at 50F ramping down to 34F

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's diacetyl. You should be able to make that go away with the d-rest, and with time. I'd bring that lager up to room temperature until it goes away, then back to lagering temps. It would probably go away with time at lagering temps, but everything works quicker at warmer temps.

Some yeasts are much worse with this than others. I've never used Budvar, so I don't know about that. You might consider trying another next time.

I've made a lot of lagers and never had diacetyl. Might be that I'm not sensitive to it, don't know. Good luck.

I've used the Budvar yeast in two batches, one is still in the fermenter.

I pitch at 45, let it rise to 50 to ferment for 5 (or so) days then raise the temp to 60 for about a week. Drop to 34 over a couple of days, 5 degrees every 12 hours.

I'll take a gravity reading at 5 days and if the beer has fermented more than 75% of what I expect, I'll start the diacetyl rest.

I do lots of lager and I haven't had any issues with diacetyl.

Back