Busch Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotdog308

Reaction score
I just inherited these kegs. I believe they are stainless. One definitely is (magnet test) and I can weight them to determine if the other is or not.

I am a wine maker since 2001, and wondered if there is an easy way to take the valves off.

I was a machinist, but am not going to make tools because lack of access to equipment and time involved. What are my option to use these as wine kegs?

Are these keg different than the Miller Kegs I have read about.

Any thoughts?

rotdog308

pull the snap ring and use a screw driver to turn it, I think they ar ejust 1/4 turned in

These have a spring loaded ball valve. I think just turning 1/4 turn will be a problem.

Cutting is not a goal, because I want to use as fermenting container, so it will need to have a rubber plug for bubbler.

rotog308

The ball valve is mounted inside a seperate tube which is the piece that you will be removing when you remove the retaining clip.

Even if using for a fermenter, you are probably going to want to open it up a bit. Most if not all sanke fermenters I've seen have a larger hole. Otherwise it will be next to impossible to clean, sanitize and inspect.

all kegs have a spring loaded ball valve caver95 is telling you correct. do a search on youtube for (keg to keggle) there is a guy named bobbyfromnj that will show you how to pop that ring off and get the stem out. should make a great fermenter for you

Or you can link to Bobby_M's videos from his profile here (he is the Bobby from NJ).

Went to YouTube...there it is.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rotdog308

Once you figure out that the retainer that holds the stuff in is like a key chain ring the rest kind of comes a part on its own with a hammer and a screw driver.

Back