Burnt Wort with electric system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonsai4tim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is possible to burn/scorch you wort with an electric element--I've managed to do it twice. Once with an attempt to do a 90 min boil, had the PID set at 85%.-probably too high, but didn't get burnt until it was over 60 min into the boil.

The 2nd time was last night while making a pumpkin ale---added the pumpkin to the boil, and about 1/2 hour later a nasty burnt smell. (I added the pumpkin with 30 min left to go in the boil) PID was set at 75% max (its a 5500 watt low density water heater element)

The system is a keggle with 5500 watt element, PID control and thermocouple.

tim

I have same element in keggle, and I've never detected any sort of burning. I've made some really light pilsners, too.

However, anything solid that goes into my pot goes into a suspended hop bag. The bag itself sits against the element and is unaffected by it. I us a plate chiller which has never clogged because of this great device. [btw, that's chamomile in the bag below]

Chamomile_in_Hop_Bag.JPG

Weird. There's a lot of us with considerable electric brewing experience that have never experienced scorching. I run a high watt density element at 100% too. Was there scorched material on the element after you emptied the kettle?

The element was covered with black carbon deposits the first time, when I was trying to do a 90 min boil. Hops were in a bag that time.

2nd time I didn't notice the scorched taste until afterward---I do no-chill, and had about a quart in the fridge for a starter, and noticed the starter wort had a burnt smell.

Not really sure how this is happening, as I've had 10+ successful all grain brews with this keggle.

I've cleaned off the element, and will be trying again tonight.

This time the pumpkin is going in the brewbucket, with the hot wort piped onto it at the end of the boil. This time of year it takes about 24 hours to cool down to pitching temp.

tim

Latest posts

Back