burnt steeping bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
So my steeping bag touched the bottom of my kettle and Burnt a good size whole in the bag is my batch still ok or have I poisoned my batch can anyone help me? Thanx

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

Just roll with it.

I did that once and the end result was beer that tasted like burnt grain. If the wort tasted OK, you should be fine, but if it tastes burnt you probably have a dumper.

What material was your grain bag? We're you using a muslin bag or a paint strainer? I'd be a bit more concerned that your temps during steeping were enough to burn your bag

If he is using an electric burner, all it takes is the grain bag touching the bottom of the pot while the element is still hot to scorch a bag. That's what happened to me and it was my practical lesson in removing the brewpot from the burner before adding anything to the pot.

It was a muslin bag I'm sure... Got it from hbs...I put the bag in as I was filling the kettle so it wasn't floating and I didn't expect to get so hot so fast using a new propane burner..

Also I didn't taste the but I will take a sample as soon as I get home

Back