Burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopDiggity

Reaction score
Can anyone help me better understand burners? I see there are high pressure and then low pressure and that I would need a regulator for i guess its high pressure. Basically I need someone to explain to me the difference and I what it is that I am looking for and just a overall explination, because I am just lost and havent a clue lol. :confused:

Can anyone help me better understand burners? I see there are high pressure and then low pressure and that I would need a regulator for i guess its high pressure. Basically I need someone to explain to me the difference and I what it is that I am looking for and just a overall explination, because I am just lost and havent a clue lol. :confused:

in a nutshell, High pressure is for Propane.Low pressure is for natural Gas. If you have any access to a NG line i reccomend NG since it's cheaper than propane, and you dont have to lug propane bottles back and forth. i use NG because I had access to a line in my back yard by my NG BBQ. i'm sure others will chime in with their preferences.

High pressure propane runs anywhere from 10-30 psi, and is the most common style of burner for turkey fryers. Low pressure propane and NG both run at about 0.5 psi. You need a regulator for either one. The only case where you could get away without a regulator is using the NG source from your home which is already regulated down to 0.5-1 psi. There are two common styles of low pressure/NG burners, multiple jet wok type, and banjo/hurricane style. The banjo/hurricane typically offer much better flame control than the jet burners. High pressure burners are often cheaper and easier to find. Low pressure/NG is usually cheaper and easier to automate if you ever choose to go that route. Most low pressure propane burners can be easily converted to NG or even high pressure propane, whereas most high pressure burners can't be converted to anything else. I've read people here claiming that their fuel efficiency improved after switching to low pressure burners. The burner size/shape is the largest determining factor for max heat output of low pressure burners, but it's the regulator that determines the max heat output of high pressure burners.

Latest posts

Back