BURNERS?? bayou classic SP10 and SQ14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tava

Reaction score
Hi all,

I kinda feel like I am beatign a dead horse, but maybe not bacause I cant find anything on the comparison of these two units since BC changed out the SP10 to a 10psi regulator.. everything I read online is from back when it used the 30psi regulator. so, here goes...

which one?
1. will be doing 5 gallon AG batches with 60quart aluminum pot.
2. mainly in my garage with door open (minimal wind)
3. bot units have 10psi regulators so I guess it comes down to if they both have same burner.. cant seem to find any supporting documentation on that though..
4. this is my price range... $50-60 bucks.. lets not discuss $100 burners please :)

so, as they are both the same price on Amazon, which one is better? or are they the same except for frame design?

sp10
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

sq14
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks for helping a noob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the SP10 and it works great. I like it better because of (what they call) the windscreen and the braided steel propane hose. Mine has the 10psi regulator and I don't have any issues at all quickly bringing 7.5gal of wort to a full rolling boil, and I have to turn it almost off to keep it from boiling over.

You can't go wrong with either, if you ask me.

Absolutely. My 9gal pot fits on it almost perfectly and I'm not sure I could knock it over if I tried. You might go see if a local sporting goods store has one so you can take a look at it.

I have one of each of these burners. I like the wind screen on the SP10 (you can fashion one from sheet metal for the SQ14). The SQ14 has a very sturdy base and I have used it to boil 14 gallons of wort at one time.

Hi all,

3. bot units have 10psi regulators so I guess it comes down to if they both have same burner.. cant seem to find any supporting documentation on that though..

Thanks for helping a noob.

the SP-10 still has a cup burner. This burner CAN use a 20-30psi regulator and pump out 100k plus btu with one. a 10psi regulator will boil a 5gallon batch fine.
the sq-14 has 6" bango burner and doesn't do well with more than 10psi.

the wind screen on the new sp-10's isn't as effective as the old ones. the old ones have a cutout so the burner is deeper into it. the new ones don't have this. it works better than no wind screen.

I like the SP-50. its exactly like the SP-10 with taller legs

BC isn't the only game in town
Camp chef SHP-RL is 60K btu, has an awesome windwcreen, 4 legs
its about $5-$60. extension legs are available and it is all set up to add a grill igniter without drilling.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001D32QK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my SQ14. It's plenty hot enough for 10+ gallon batches, quiet and very fuel efficient. I've never had a problem with lack of windscreen, but it would be easy enough to add one if you wanted to.

I have the sp10 and love it.
I actually have 2 of them running off of a 30psi regulator and they work great putting off enough heat to boil 10 gallons from ~70 in about 20 minutes in a keggle. the only way I would vote for the sq14's is if you ever plan on changing from propane to natural gas. the sp10's will not work with natural gas (they will burn but it will be a yellow oxygen deficient flame and not work well no matter what orifices you use). if you plan on using propane for the life of your brewing get the sp10's if ever want to change over to natural gas get the sq14's or for an even better option the KAB4 or KAB5 burner would be the best (for the price) for natural gas.

I have the SP10 with the 10 psi regulator, and it works great. It gets plenty hot, have done 10 gallon batches with 12 gallons of water and it works great. I've never used a different one so I don't have anything to compare it with.

I went back and forth about this decision not long ago. I ended up with the sq14 because I had never seen either in person and i was more confident with the square base. A friend has the sp10 now, and I agree that it is also very stable. I do small batches, so I can't say anything about that, but it will do 1 to 3 gallons lightning fast.

All good points. Thanks to all for posting. I have settled on the sq14. I like the quiet factor. I found the thread about building the wind shield fir the sq14 so will do that before first brew.

Thanks all

Does anybody have any insight on one of these? The outtermost ring is 13", so that should easily support my pot. It says 22K BTUs, but I've seen similar that said 30K+. Is 22K going to boil 7 gallons inside of 20/30 minutes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Pr...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=190890098880

22,000 BTUs is a little light on heating ability. My first burner, an SQ14, delivers around 54K and it took at least 20 minutes to bring 7 gallons to a boil. You'll get a boil with 22K, but it'll take some time.

Does anybody have any insight on one of these? The outtermost ring is 13", so that should easily support my pot. It says 22K BTUs, but I've seen similar that said 30K+. Is 22K going to boil 7 gallons inside of 20/30 minutes?

I agree with MaxStout. Both the SP-10 and the SQ-14 claim 55k btu. I have one of each and they take quite a while to get 7 gal. of wort up to a boil. IMO 55k is right at the bottom of the range for satisfactory burners for 5 gal. batches. I suspect you'd find yourself thoroughly dissatisfied with a 22k btu unit.

Cheers!
:mug:

Another vote for the SQ-14 here.

I made my own wind screen from some 16 gauge sheet metal which I had laying around the shop, and a heat shield from some thinner metal as well as welding up a taller set of legs for it. The legs are way overkill on this thing but that is the only angle iron I had in the scrap pile long enough to make all four of them. No problem at all with my 5 gallon extract batches.

sq14wmodsR1.jpg

I have the sp10 LOVE IT, boils anything in NO TIME at all. PLUS it has a built in wind screen A+.

I have an SP10 as well and like it. I had to weld on some tabs to support my keggle but that's my only beef with it. Feels sturdy.

Im going to vote for the SQ14. It puts out about the same amount of heat, but it is more evenly distributed around the bottom of the kettle so you get a more efficient heating. It is also nearly silent, the SQ10 style "turkey fryer" burner elements can get quite noisy.

I like the noisy sp10 since it is audibly obvious when it blows out lol

Which happens often due to how much fuel it burns through producing that noise.

I get about 6-7 batches per tank with my set up doing 90m boils. It would be nice to use less, but I'll prob just go natural gas since I have a plug on my patio.

I've got an SQ-14 under my HLT and an SP-10 under my boil kettle. I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference in the noise or productivity of either one. I do like the extra little valve that comes in the fuel line for the SP-10 as it allows for easier modulation of the flame. That's why its the one under the boil kettle.

Cheers!
:mug:

My SP-10 sounds like an F-22 on takeoff, but it get 7.5 gallons to strike temp in less than 15 minutes, and wort up to boiling in less than another 15.

I've only done four batches with it, but the tank is still going strong. I've got a couple extra tanks in case it does burn out, but knock on wood that it doesn't happen too fast!

I got the SP-14 and I like it (it's way better than my electric stove which could barely heat boil 3 gallons). Since it's windy here, I just wrapped a single long piece of aluminum foil around the three outer legs and that seemed to take care of the wind issue. I'll eventually make a better wind screen but this works well for now using what I had around the house. I'm able to get 7 gallons of 160 degree water to boiling in 20 minutes or less.

Well I have super old burner that has lived outside and is producing a yellow flame and tons of soot on the bottom of my kettles. It's time to let it go.

I've seen a lot of people talking about different burners and I've narrowed it down to these three:

Bayou SP10 ($50)
Bayou SQ14 ($50)
Brinkmann 815-4005-S ($70)

I read through this whole thread and don't feel like I've gotten a solid answer so thought I'd even add another to the mix.

Thanks so much!

-Mike

The reason you do not feel you have gotten a solid answer is because you really cannot go wrong with any of these.

I have both burners, but use the SQ14 to just heat my water for the mash tun, to boil my wort I use the SP10 with the windscreen. It is a little noisy, but it boils the wort which is what you want. The SQ14 I did make a wind screen for. It is definitely much quieter than the SP10.

It takes close to 30-40 minutes on the SQ14 to get my water temp from 72 degrees to 170 degrees. Not sure how long it would take to get it to a boil. The SP10 takes about 30 minutes to bring my wort to a boil.

Back