Burner stand vs. keg diameter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy a new turkey fryer once my keg kettle arrives, considering the diameter of the base of the turkey fryer stand is 15 inches and the keg diameter is 17 inches.
Those that boil in kegs, is my assumption correct? Is a new, larger turkey fryer in my future?
Bummer....

If I remember correctly, you ordered a keg from Sabco right? They also sell a burner. Its 170K BTUs, which should be plenty and its "custom" made with a cast iron wire "cage" that is wide enough for any keg. Mine just came in the mail last week and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, except for simply placing the keg on the burner to make sure it fits. Its pretty sweet!

I say "custom" because it came with a manual for the Cajun Cooker or the King Kooker...something like that. I assume they took the burner and modified the original stand...something to that effect. Total with shipping to our area was $86...which I felt was pretty good considering that it is made specifically with a keg in mind. Check it out here.

vtfan99 said:
Home Depot's worthless site doesn't take me directly to the cooker.....got a model number or name?

settle down - i fixed it :D

Bayou Classic
High/Low Outdoor Gas Cooker
Model SP10

Sorry...just that I've always hated Home Depot's site.....drives me crazy. :cool:

Thats looks like a pretty nice burner. Couldn't find a BTU rating anywhere though so I guess you'd have to call him. The one from Sabco looks similar except that the ends of the cooking surface are bent upwards at 90 degree angles to prevent anything from slipping off, which seems to be a nice safety feature.

yea i was trying not to unleash the half mile url on ya...anyways

for $30 seems like the same cooker minus the cage that the fryers come with. there is also a double burner similar to this one.

Now that I look at it more closely...I think its the exact same burner. Looks like Sabco has just added their own cooking surface. Perhaps the BTU rating is different as well.

brewhead said:
The High Pressure Gas Burner:
High Pressure Cast Iron Burner
High / Low Cooker
14” Diameter Cooking Surface
13” Tall Welded Steel Frame
20 PSI Regulator
UL-Listed 48” Hose / Regulator / Valve Assembly Kit
185,000 BTUs
360° Windscreen
Wide led tripod design for extra stability.

14" cooking surface....looks to be too small for a keg. The one from HD may have a different regulator as well.....which could affect the overall BTU rating.

All great ideas...but I found a better one. I'm just going to set my charcoal grill grate on top of my turkey fryer burner, and set the keggle over that.

God I'm a genius!!! (I got the idea from another forum...LOL)

I have the fortune in this area of working at a steel mill. I found some 1" angle iron laying around. I cut four 2" pieces and put a thin slot at one end in one plane of the iron so that it fits over the outer ring of the turkey fryer. The keg rests on these and the weight of the keg lodges the pieces in place (that and the tight fit by using a thinly cut slot). Probly not much use to you since not many would have this material available.

As far as your solution, I would be concerned that since the grate goes right over the flame, this could get red hot and lose its strength allowing the grate to deform and possibly in an uneven pattern and your keg could tilt.

Edit... now that I think about it, get some 1" diameter by 2" long pipe nipples or couplers from any hardware store and cut a thin slot in them about a half inch away from one end. I would only cut the slot about a third of the way through so it will maintain its strength. Use a dremel with one of those cutting wheels and this makes a pretty good slot width. Four of these around the perimeter will increase the effective diameter of the burner by 3". The outer ring on my burner has proven plenty strong enough to hold a full 15gal keg. I wish I had a digital camera sometimes...

BurnerMod.JPG

Latest posts

Back