Burner stand too small for keggle - possible solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keesh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was going to brew today with my new keggle, but the weather is still crappy in SD so I have to hold off on it. Sad, I know.

Anyway, I thought I'd take this time to try and fix a problem I just realized I had last night when I put the keggle on my burner stand. It is SLIGHTLY too big, in other words the bottom of the keggle slightly straddles the stand, making it sort've wobbly.

I have a lid from my old aluminum brew pot which, when I put it on the stand and then put the keggle on top of the lid, makes it fit much better. Until I can get a bigger brew stand, do you think this is a good idea? I am afraid the gap between the concave bottom of the keggle and the lid would cause heat transfer issues.

I take it you have the SP-10 bayou calssic? I put a grill grate on top of mine. Works perfect. I really like that burner.

I take it you have the SP-10 bayou calssic? I put a grill grate on top of mine. Works perfect. I really like that burner.

Exactly the burner I have. Wow that's a great idea! Now I'll have to get my BBQ back from my old roommate. Thanks for the tip!

No problem, before you get to it did it come with an air damper? most these days do not for whatever reason. I just wrapped tin foil around the air inlet and poked small holes until I got my flame right.

To permanently modify one of mine I drilled holes and took 3, 3/8" bolts with a few nuts and washers and "extended" the surface for the keggle to sit on. Works great!

No problem, before you get to it did it come with an air damper? most these days do not for whatever reason. I just wrapped tin foil around the air inlet and poked small holes until I got my flame right.

Yeah it did, I've been using it for a while with an 8 gallon aluminum pot. Now that I am doing AG I needed a 10 gallon pot for my 5 gallon batches because of boil overs but when I realized I could get a keg for 20 bucks and turn it into a keggle for 50 bucks, it was a no-brainer.

As far as the air damper goes, mine came with one. I have it installed pretty well, however the flame still 'roars' pretty loudly when I run it, no matter what orientation I turn it to.

To permanently modify one of mine I drilled holes and took 3, 3/8" bolts with a few nuts and washers and "extended" the surface for the keggle to sit on. Works great!

That seems like a great permanent solution, I will keep that in mine further down the road if I don't end up winning the 2012 Giveaway's brewstand... haha yeah right. Thanks!

You had bad weather in San Diego? What is bad weather to you, a 15mph gust? Sheesh, Keesh.

:D

Nobody can talk to me about bad weather LOL Ya that burner is LOUD but it boils really fast and unlike what most people say on here I get pretty good efficiency with it, I think the last tank I got like 6 5gal brews with it.

I have an idea oh how this would work but I would love to see a photo because I'm in the same boat. I bought 2 sp-10's and 2 bbq grill grates from lowes but the grills have a band down the center that makes the keggle wobble no matter what side is on. I'd love to see the bolts before I go off and call a welder.

Yep, go buy the Weber grate that is for a 18". Buy the bottom one that holds the charcoal - I believe it's 16". Those seem to be the ticket. They are $10 at lowes.

I have an idea oh how this would work but I would love to see a photo because I'm in the same boat. I bought 2 sp-10's and 2 bbq grill grates from lowes but the grills have a band down the center that makes the keggle wobble no matter what side is on. I'd love to see the bolts before I go off and call a welder.

I'll try and get a pic when I get home tonight, it's really quite simple. Looks like the below.

Untitled.jpg

Use 90degree edges turned up or a few pieces. Generally for cheap and dirty welding a muffler shop will slop it together cheap.

Back