Burner Help - Are these for LP or NG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a run down to Chinatown here in Chicago to see what the restaurant supply places have in stock. I'd hoping to pick up a nice powerful burner for the new propane setup I'm building.

My question is: how do I tell if a burner is for propane or natural gas, or is there not really a difference? See here: http://www.wokmaker.com/accessories.htm

Any thoughts or input on what to get/avoid (3 ring vs jet burner for example) are greatly appreciated... assuming I can even use something like one of these with propane? Or, or wok burners for indoor NG setups only?

I am doing 10 gallon batches in a converted keg btw. Outdoors.

Thanks

Since that is a restaurant supply place, the burners are almost always going to be for NG. There is a difference - the orifice size. NG burners have a larger orifice to allow more gas flow.

OT - looking at the page you linked - what the heck is a "New York style gas valve" and a "California style gas valve" ?????

Go with the Banjo/Hurricane burners, they are cheaper, adjustable, and can be jetted for high pressure/low pressure propane and NG. The jet burners look impressive and can create major flames, more than can be utilized, but when you turn it down it does not burn clean at low fire and can soot up things. Look at the number of systems built with the hurricane burners and read the comments the builders have made, vs. the systems with jet burners and the choice should be easier.

California requires special gas valves which have a safety feature thats supposed shut them off in the event of an earthquake. No idea what a "New York style gas valve" is though.

California requires special gas valves which have a safety feature thats supposed shut them off in the event of an earthquake. No idea what a "New York style gas valve" is though.

That's only at the meter and it's not required. I just thought it was odd that the page he linked listed them as CA and NY style. Never heard of that before.

Back