Burner Height? And How fast do you boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
So I just tacked up one of my Banjo burners and did a little test run with my keggle. The burner at the moment is 3" under the stand. It seems like I have good flame but I have only my old crappy turkey fryer and this. They are both propane but the similarities end there. I believe I have the HP jet in the banjo that I purchased from northernbrewer. At the moment it is just running off a 6 ft hose and a 0-30 adjustable regulator. The flames seem good nice and blue with some yellow with the keg on top. My first test run was about 7 gallons from 100 to boil in 20 minutes, it was also about 35 degrees outside. Is this good could it be better? I tried putting some thin flashing around the burner and it made the banjo worse and it melted it. I searched but didn't find many windscreens in sculptures. If you have pics let me seen them. I want to get the burner set so I can make the mounts for the other one.:mug:

You should boil fast enough to get the volume reduction you need in 60 minutes to coincide with maximum hop utilisation.

20 minutes to boil seems fine (Quite average)

i have been wondering the same question and i currently have mine at a little under 4" but i also dont have to deal with the curved bottom of the keggle as i have a flat bottom kettle

The whole sculpture sounded very easy at first then at every step there is a million options. I just want to make this setup as efficient as possible maybe even electric/propane hybrid as I have an extra keg with some fittings on it. I think some sort of windscreen will help me get a little better heat transfer as before it was blowing around for a second or two at a time. I was also amazed at how hot the stand gets but it all make sense after seeing it. Thanks to all so far and here are a couple of pics as to where I'm at right now
IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

Back