Bung substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdann87

Reaction score
Hey guys... Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for substitutes to the traditional carboy bung.

I found several 4 gal plastic #1 pet carboys but the openings are freaking hugggge. I was Hopin to use them to split a 4 gal wheat batch and play around with adding some different aspects to the fermentation.

Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions/ideas/past solutions.

Thanks

Carboy cap.
carboy_cap_orange_2003_general.jpg

haha.. yea i was thinking of just doing a blowoff tube, but its a big opening and would need a pretty wide tube... dont think it would really work too effective.

Birth control saran wrap is a no fail i suppose lol.

I'll give a shot

Thanks

The newest thing, that is replacing airlocks on carboys.

vented_stopper.jpg

These food grade silicone stoppers feature several vent holes lightly sealed with a silicone top flap. Gases can escape, but cannot get in. Just put the stopper on your carboy, and forget it. No worries about evaporation or water getting into your fermenter. This #10 size is pictured at right above, and fits all Better Bottles, and other containers with a 1.75" opening.

http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?c=2&sit....com/10-VENTED-SILICONE-STOPPER-P2667C94.aspx

The grown up in me says to check a laboratory website for larger size plugs. You can get most predrilled to take an airlock.

The kid in me says,"heh heh. He said he has a huge bung."

Latest posts

Back