Bumping up my NEIPA Timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My usual routine was:
Brew & pitch on day 1 (say...Saturday)
First dry hop on Monday
Second dry hop & gravity sample on Friday
Raise temp on next monday
Gravity sample/Cold crash on Thursday
Keg on day Keg on Saturday (two weeks after brew day)
Ready to drink by Weds or Thurs (with 2 day 30 psi carb step)

This brew:
Brew on Saturday
Single larger dry hop on Monday
Raise temp on Tuesday
Grav Sample/cold crash on Thursday
Keg on Saturday (one week after brew day instead of two)
Ready to drink on Weds or thurs.

I'm shaving an entire week off the schedule, but the 1318 yeast I use is done so quickly and I realized that there was a drop off in flavor from the initial gravity sample to the second one and the gravity never changed.

I'm pretty sure I could drop this quite a bit more if I wanted, but some steps (like kegging) I prefer to do on a weekend.

Seems reasonable. I have gone brew-keg in 6 days with these before. My usual method is about 2 weeks start to finish but they can be done quicker when using something like 1318.

I have a NEIPA going as well, that I brewed on Saturday. Wondering if I can ask you guys some questions since we're talking about timelines.

1. My fermentation was slow to start. I brewed on Saturday and pitched yeast around 830pm. When I went to bed last night at 9pm, there was no activity at all. However, when my dogs woke me up at 130am, I checked on it and it was going full steam ahead. Had a 2" thick krausen on it! I was going to do first dry hop 2-3 days in, which would be tonight (Monday) or tomorrow night (Tuesday). Since my fermentation started so late, should I push the first dry hop back until Tuesday night? Or is 20 hours of active fermentation enough to do the first dry hop?

2. I have it fermenting in my kegerator at a steady 66*F. I know I've read a lot about gradually increasing temperature throughout fermentation. At what point do you start doing that?

3. The yeast I used for this was Omega DIPA (OYL-052). Anyone else ever use this strain in a NEIPA?

Thanks.

The yeast is Conan, so yes, lots of people will have used it. IIRC, the NEIPA I did with Conan was done fermenting in about 36 hours after the krausen formed. So get the dry hops in at about 20-24 hours.

Or do it tomorrow morning. Get everything prepped tonight, and it won't take 5 minutes.

I usually am kegging my NEIPAs in 12 days from brew day and drinking by 14.

Brew & pitch set temp to 65 ambient (Day 0) - I don't count this as day one because it hasn't begun fermentation until the next day usually.
1st Dry Hop & temp raise to 68 (Day 2)
2nd Dry Hop (Day 7)
Begin cold crash (Day 10)
Keg late day (day 11)

Yeah I'm not worried about it taking time. I prepped my dry hop additions on brew day and vacuum sealed them and stuck them in the freezer. They're good to go, just cut the bag and dump in.

@Biscuits - you cold crash your neipas? They're intentionally hazy so why do you cold crash them? (FYI, I'm not being a smart ass, I'm curious as to the reasoning). I wasn't planning on cold crashing, should I?

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm not worried about it taking time. I prepped my dry hop additions on brew day and vacuum sealed them and stuck them in the freezer. They're good to go, just cut the bag and dump in.

@Biscuits - you cold crash your neipas? They're intentionally hazy so why do you cold crash them? (FYI, I'm not being a smart ass, I'm curious as to the reasoning). I wasn't planning on cold crashing, should I?

Thanks guys.

There are different kinds of haze. You want hop oil haze, not yeast in suspension haze (which causes a general green-beer flavor). Cold crashing will drop the yeast, and any hop particles, but it won't drop the hop oils nearly as fast.

There are different kinds of haze. You want hop oil haze, not yeast in suspension haze (which causes a general green-beer flavor). Cold crashing will drop the yeast, and any hop particles, but it won't drop the hop oils nearly as fast.

This. I cold crash my NEIPAs and they're still hazy as heck (see attachment). Also, as an aside...I don't really care if they're hazy as long as they have the flavor profile. I've never had one come out clear or clear over time, but if it did, I wouldn't care as long as the flavor was there.

DingoJuice.jpeg

I usually am kegging my NEIPAs in 12 days from brew day and drinking by 14.

Brew & pitch set temp to 65 ambient (Day 0) - I don't count this as day one because it hasn't begun fermentation until the next day usually.
1st Dry Hop & temp raise to 68 (Day 2)
2nd Dry Hop (Day 7)
Begin cold crash (Day 10)
Keg late day (day 11)

this is my EXACT schedule and I love it. 1318 is SO FREAKY FAST!

Thanks guys.

These beers are hazy as a result of the process (and malt bill), not yeast in suspension. I cold crash all mine and they stay hazy. Had one that wasnt my fave, so it sat in the keezer and is still cloudy 4 months after being kegged! Not yeasty. :) I have seen people put flour in their beers to create haze too... smh. lol :rockin:

I feel like I need to make a NEIPA, haven't done so yet. These threads always intrigue me, and I've sampled quite a few NEIPA's in the recent months and I'm starting to become a pretty big fan of them.

My 1.050 OG NE Pale Ale with WYeast 1318 brewed on Saturday (see the megathread for details) and pitched at about 5pm kicked off krausen forming fermentation in the early afternoon yesterday, 20 hours after pitching a fresh smack-pack, and hit 1.010 and fading fermentation heat production* at 6pm today. I put the dry hops in at 7am this morning.

Looking at my logs, my 1.055 OG NEIPA with Conan was slowing 24 hours after fermentation took off, as did my Heady Topper clone (from the clone thread) with Conan. So I'd dry hop tonight!

* Using my brewpi fermentation chamber, I can monitor the rate of fermentation by how far the system sets the fridge set point below the beer set point to maintain temperature. It ran for 18 hours with the fridge set to 61F to maintain a beer temp of 66F before the fridge set point started to rise as fermentation started to slow down at noon today. I've now set the profile to raise the beer set point to 72F over three days to get the yeast to finish up and clean up.

* Using my brewpi fermentation chamber, I can monitor the rate of fermentation by how far the system sets the fridge set point below the beer set point to maintain temperature. It ran for 18 hours with the fridge set to 61F to maintain a beer temp of 66F before the fridge set point started to rise as fermentation started to slow down at noon today. I've now set the profile to raise the beer set point to 72F over three days to get the yeast to finish up and clean up.

I do the same thing!

I just got seriously into brewing NEIPA's myself, and am obsessed with trying to improve them..so I have a few questions for you guys...

Do you guys generally always do a yeast starter for 1318 in a 5 gallon batch?

Are wheat, lactose, or flaked oats always used for these Hazy ipas, or can it be straight base malts/specilalty?
I have been doing my last few recipes with 10lbs 2-row, 5lbs flaked oats, and experimenting with certain amounts of lactose..
Suggestions on malt bills? I don't want a 'sweet' NEIPA whatso ever..rather something that showcases the hops a lot, and has nice body/mouth feel

So i just did my first one and i did NOT do a starter. My OG was 1.066 and i used Omega OYL-052, their version of the Conan strain. I pitched after chilling to 65*F and because i didnt aerate enough, it took 30 hours to show any sign off fermentation. But once it started it went strong.

I haven't seen a NEIPA recipe with lactose in it yet. If you aren't going for a sweet NEIPA i would leave that out. The wheat and oats from what Ive seen are typical ingredients of this style. More experienced ppl will have to comment on the recipes for these

From what I've read, lactose adds body without much sweetness in the taste department, and tirehands uses it in their milk shake series. I'm not sure if it's a common thing to use in NEIPAs or not

It's almost never used. IME, NEIPAs are often quite dry, with FGs of 1.010 or so, and lactose would increase the FG substantially.

They have body due to hop oils, and chloride vs sulfate content. Flaked oats add a smooth mouth feel. But they aren't sweet in the way lactose would make them.

Bring this older thread to life to mention I've recently been drinking a NEIPA by Free Will Brewing and they use lactose. It does give a sweetness but it's not overwhelming and the mouthfeel of the beer is amazing. That may or may not have more/less to do with the grain bill/hop oils, though. Either way, the lactose didn't harm it.

Bring this older thread to life to mention I've recently been drinking a NEIPA by Free Will Brewing and they use lactose. It does give a sweetness but it's not overwhelming and the mouthfeel of the beer is amazing. That may or may not have more/less to do with the grain bill/hop oils, though. Either way, the lactose didn't harm it.
I have never had one, but is this a "milkshake" IPA?

I have never had one, but is this a "milkshake" IPA?
Haha, I guess, technically if we want to break it down into yet another category. They don’t advertise it that way and whos to say how many NEIPAs have lactose that we don’t know about so I’m fine with just NEIPA.

Heck, I'm willing to try one. Problem is in SC (lets call my area "Camp Swampy"), we don't typically see styles of beers other more beer centered areas have. I went out on a limb and brewed a NE IPA just on the advice from HBT members like Braufessor. I never had one commercially and went into a 5G batch blindly, but lo and behold it was amazing. Been brewing them ever since.

So the "milkshake" NE IPA is another unknown and would also be a brewing leap of faith. Since the lactose is not highly fermentable, my guess the beer should finish sweeter (1.020?) and leave a creamy mouthfeel based on the residual sugars. Maybe another thread asking advice on brewing one?

Pretty much. Many of those are fruited too. I've had a couple. The first sip is kinda tasty. Halfway through I was done. Cloyingly sweet.

Maybe I need to leave well enough alone. I was just out in my brew cave lowering the temps on a tank of NE IPA almost ready to carb and keg, so I took a sample. I was pondering how I'd like this beer if it was sweet. I had second thoughts about using lactose since I am not about cloying sweet. I get good mouthfeel with adjuncts and Cl:SO4 ratio....maybe I don't need to tinker with this one.

Maybe I need to leave well enough alone. I was just out in my brew cave lowering the temps on a tank of NE IPA almost ready to carb and keg, so I took a sample. I was pondering how I'd like this beer if it was sweet. I had second thoughts about using lactose since I am not about cloying sweet. I get good mouthfeel with adjuncts and Cl:SO4 ratio....maybe I don't need to tinker with this one.
Agreed. If you were missing something in your beer and wanted to try to see if lactose would help, I'd say go for it. But, if you have a recipe working for you, I wouldn't bother adding any just for the sake of it.

My usual routine was:
Brew & pitch on day 1 (say...Saturday)
First dry hop on Monday
Second dry hop & gravity sample on Friday
Raise temp on next monday
Gravity sample/Cold crash on Thursday
Keg on day Keg on Saturday (two weeks after brew day)
Ready to drink by Weds or Thurs (with 2 day 30 psi carb step)

This brew:
Brew on Saturday
Single larger dry hop on Monday
Raise temp on Tuesday
Grav Sample/cold crash on Thursday
Keg on Saturday (one week after brew day instead of two)
Ready to drink on Weds or thurs.

I'm shaving an entire week off the schedule, but the 1318 yeast I use is done so quickly and I realized that there was a drop off in flavor from the initial gravity sample to the second one and the gravity never changed.

I'm pretty sure I could drop this quite a bit more if I wanted, but some steps (like kegging) I prefer to do on a weekend.

In my previous post above this one, I mentioned I just took a sample of my NE IPA in tank and I am day 11. I am still getting a high dose of hop burn now, so I think it will need some time in keg to mellow. My normal plan is to keg carbed beer on day 14, then let it lager at 35F for at least another week....but more likely 2 weeks, making it 4 weeks G2G.

I'd be afraid you'll push the beer so much it will still have a harsh hop edge. Of course you know your beers better than I do, so maybe it will work for you this way.

In my previous post above this one, I mentioned I just took a sample of my NE IPA in tank and I am day 11. I am still getting a high dose of hop burn now, so I think it will need some time in keg to mellow. My normal plan is to keg carbed beer on day 14, then let it lager at 35F for at least another week....but more likely 2 weeks, making it 4 weeks G2G.

I'd be afraid you'll push the beer so much it will still have a harsh hop edge. Of course you know your beers better than I do, so maybe it will work for you this way.

With the new process, which I've stuck with due to great success, here's a flavor timeline:

As noted above, I'm kegging at about a week. I do a 30 psi burst carb for two days (no shaking...just higher pressure), then drop to normal pressure (about 10 psi). It's about 60% carbed at this point, but the hop burn is unbearable. By day 11-14 or so, the hop burn fades and it's fantastic. That holds for about 3 weeks, then it starts to very slowly fade. At 5 weeks it's still very tasty.

With the new process, which I've stuck with due to great success, here's a flavor timeline:

As noted above, I'm kegging at about a week. I do a 30 psi burst carb for two days (no shaking...just higher pressure), then drop to normal pressure (about 10 psi). It's about 60% carbed at this point, but the hop burn is unbearable. By day 11-14 or so, the hop burn fades and it's fantastic. That holds for about 3 weeks, then it starts to very slowly fade. At 5 weeks it's still very tasty.

Your plan sounds like it is working nicely, plus its easily repeatable.

I typically like to do 14G NEIPA batches so I'll have keg #2 sitting in the lager chamber for up to 6 weeks waiting to come online. Trying to contain/control hop vibrancy fade, I discovered Brewtan-B (Gallotannin) is helpful in keeping the hop vibrancy stable for a longer period. Like anything else brewing relating, fads and gimmicks come and go, but I feel BtB is at least worth a try. Its inexpensive and easy to use, and I have done blind 3 way taste tests that show there is at least some value to the hop vibrancy claims.

NE IPA.jpg

I note the similar "look" of your beer and mine. I too have limited the dry hop addition in fermenter to one, and do that with around 25% SG to go until finished. This one finished at 1.013 with 1318.

Last edited:

I sure hope this works for me. I decided last minute to brew a batch this past Saturday to hopefully be ready for a fantasy baseball draft on the 24th. That’s two weeks exactly. I used Imperial Juice and it seems to be taking its time but I think it’ll finish up today or tomorrow.

I've never cold crashed one of my NEIPAs before but this batch I've dry hopped with more than ever before and it's definitely noticeable in the wort. Do your NEIPAs look like a hop slurry before you cold crash?

This is what my last batch looks like (1st two pints). I kegged on day four after 2 days of DH. I had about 6 pts left when I kegged. I let it naturally carb and started drinking it day 13. So far my best NEIPA. Only time will tell.

Attachments

• BBEAFB6F-98E8-40A1-9782-C08C9784C930.jpeg
    BBEAFB6F-98E8-40A1-9782-C08C9784C930.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 234

Well, I am now a believer....and I cannot believe I brought a 14 day old beer into my main pipeline. Beer is in a Uni tank so I have flexibility of carbing, crashing and pressure fermenting right in the tank. On day 11 (still at 65F) I got a huge hop burn with a greenish cast to the beer. I had already closed off the BO valve so I was naturally carbed to about 10 psi already. When I crashed the beer to 35F, the green cast flocculated overnight (now on day 12) and the hop burn immediately smoothed out. I was totally amazed at the impact of cold crashing and what 1 day could mean in the drinkability of this NE IPA.

So I put on CO2 to balance out the carbonation and let settle out a bit more. I kegged on day 14 and immediately brought one keg inside to put online in my 5 tap kegerator. I am totally blown away that I am drinking a darn awesome beer at 14 days G2G...wow!

I have the second keg (11G batch) lagering in the fermentation chamber, and I hope I don't lose the vibrancy before this first keg kicks.

NEIPA2.JPG

Day 12 partially carbed

I sure hope this works for me. I decided last minute to brew a batch this past Saturday to hopefully be ready for a fantasy baseball draft on the 24th. That’s two weeks exactly. I used Imperial Juice and it seems to be taking its time but I think it’ll finish up today or tomorrow.

Based on my results just posted, I think you'll sneak right in at the 2 week mark! Hope the yeast cooperates.

Based on my results just posted, I think you'll sneak right in at the 2 week mark! Hope the yeast cooperates.
Started cold crash early yesterday (day 8) and kegged late last night and started to carb. I wasn't feeling great about it based on the aromas I got from the fermenter and some samples I had while testing gravity. I'm so impatient that I pulled a sample about an hour ago and was blown away. The nose was amazing and it tasted spectacular. No hop burn at all, even this early. Maybe the best beer I've made so far. The only thing I noticed was the nose and even some flavor was fading as it sat. I'm hoping that will remain a little longer when it's fully carbed. It was so good that I actually had to hook it back up and take a few more samples. When I try again in a couple of days, I think this will be amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
JUst brewed an neipa myself. Day 7 was bottle day for me. Day 5 and 6 were cold crash. Used a 1318 strand and the fermentation seemed to Ben pretty stable so I’m assuming no more gain from waiting. It’s good. Smells good tastes good. A little hop burn but I’m hoping that mellows after time carbing up and then once they’d go cold

Back