Bulletproof Monk - Belgian Specialty Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natron008

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP500
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 days @ 68º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
60 days in bottle
Tasting Notes
Nice simple, Trappist style. HG without harshness. Fruity, Clovey but well-balanced.
I created this recipe with hopes of an easy, well-balanced Belgian/Trappist style ale that was strong enough to let you know it, but smooth enough to allow you to drink quite a few if desired.... mission accomplished.

I wish I had one in front of me now so I could provide better tasting notes, but I can tell you that it was very well received and I am truly proud of the outcome. It was exactly as I had hoped. A complex taste from a bare-bones recipe (with nice round numbers too!).

Bulletproof Monk
16-E Belgian Specialty Ale
Author: Rumshpringa Brewing

Size: 5.0 gal
Original Gravity: 1.070
Terminal Gravity: 1.018
Color: 19.1
Alcohol: 6.97%
Bitterness: 65.9

Ingredients:
1 lb Belgian Caravienne (steep @ 160º for 20 minutes)
7 lb Pale Liquid
2 lb Candi Sugar Amber
2 oz Hallertau Tradition (6.0%) - 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - 20 min
1 oz Saaz (5.0%) - 20 min
1 tsp Irish Moss - 5 min
1 ea White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale

2 months in Primary, then 2 months in bottle. But the longer you can wait – the better!

(I actually forgot the Irish Moss & Orange Peel on this batch, and can't say it mattered much. Next time I plan to add a bit of Bitter Orange Peel and maybe a tad of corriander, but it's certainly not necessary)

Just happened on this post - original post was a long time ago, but hey. 60 days in the primary?!! Surely you'd be getting some potential off-flavor problems after that long?

Back