Bulk Grain Price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pale 2-row (Can) $0.49lb
Maris Otter $0.73lb
T101
Germen pils $0.63lb
B101
Franco/Belgian Pils $0.63lb
F101
American Pils $0.51lb
Munich (Ger) $0.65lb
B201

It almost seems too good to be true to me. Their flat rate pallet program document on their site states up to 42 bags of grain for 90 bucks.

It might be cheaper for you living in OH.

I called Tuesday morning 8-9 am and it was delivered Wedesday morning at 11am.

We had to have a loading dock to get the shipping for 90.

That was the pricing on their web page. Unless I misunderstood the 90 dollars as the shipping fee only.

Brutus - sorry I'm late in chiming in on this thread... but you live in Upper and you have a LHBS?!?!

Where is this place and do you have any contact information for them? I currently order from Grape & Granary, but a 20 minute drive to Upper may change my line of thinking.

Also, you live in Upper and you're not in our homebrew club? :D PM me if you're interested in attending a meeting.

we just did a full pallet groupbuy from north country malt. The flat pallet rate was $105 to NJ(from NY), then 20% fuel charge is $21 = $126 per pallet.

still a very good price though overall

would rather support my lhbs but not if I feel like they are taking advantage of me...
per pound is $1.80... unreal.

Your LHBS isn't taking advantage, your just paying the retail mark up. It's how they stay in business. It's a fair price if you willing to pay it. Personally, I think the bulk buy is the way to go. Just get your base cheap and buy specialty stuff from your LHBS.

We did two bulk buys this year in Michigan. We got our grain from MidCountry Malts. They have flat, per pallet shipping rates. So the more you get on the pallet, the cheaper the shipping is per pound. In April we had the pallet maximum of 42 bags which is 2,315.25 lb (25kg is 55.125lb). From the Chicago area to Detroit, the shipping rate was $92.00 per pallet, so the shipping price was about $0.04/lb. You just distribute the cost per pound so everyone pays an equal amount based on what they order.

You just have to have someone organize the whole thing and collect the money, then place the order and figure out how to distribute. It's best if everyone involved is fairly near by to where the grain is shipped, unless they are willing to travel.

It really is the way to go. I was involved in both, so if you need some tips on getting one going, PM me. I have a great spread sheet you can use, designed by GearBeer (hope he doesn't mind).

Cheers.

Roman

One of the main warehouses is in the Denver area, but they have said they won't sale to the public. Has anybody purchased in the Denver area & from where?

SO DONT BE PUBLIC!!!
surely you know some one who has a biz and a tax id. have them go buy the malt with there Tax Id, and then add the price of sales tax to the total and have the person turn it in to the tax commistion. boom you got the malt and you are total legal. i will bet you money they dont care what kinda biz it is, thay just dont collect sales tax becase all there stuff is wholsale and thay cant sale it to you with out a tax id number

To be fair, let's not compare Homebrew store prices with a grain wholesaler llike North Country. Many homebrew stores buy their malt from North Country.

You simply cannot compare the price a homebrew store sells grain for against the place they buy it from to sell to customers.

You should get the best deal you can but let homebrew stores stay in business.

I realize that a lot of homebrewers only use homebrew stores for advice. They reuse the yeast, buy grain at wholesale and buy hops at a hop farm for the same price homebrew stores buy it for. They don't need homebrew stores.

Lets just compare apples to apples. Price compare homebrew stores, not homebrew stores and the places they buy from. It makes the homebrew stores look like they are charging too much when they are just trying to stay afloat.

Support your local homebrew store when you can. Lets don't try to come up with more ways to not shop at a homebrew store.

Forrest

To just jump on the "It's really nice to have a LHBS" and good retailers, AHB is a good retailer, their grain prices are pretty decent. When you do that 50 state sale as I did today it's a good deal.

Most of us are too busy to get wholesale price (you can't get that as an average dude right, you have to through hoops with a tax ID etc?)

In any case all about supporting the folks us average mortals can buy from.

Thanks for your support.

P.S. AHB is Annapolis Homebrew. Just use Austin Homebrew so everyone knows who you are talking about. Especially when giving my store props.

Thanks again.

Forrest

To be fair, let's not compare Homebrew store prices with a grain wholesaler llike North Country. Many homebrew stores buy their malt from North Country.

You simply cannot compare the price a homebrew store sells grain for against the place they buy it from to sell to customers.

You should get the best deal you can but let homebrew stores stay in business.

I realize that a lot of homebrewers only use homebrew stores for advice. They reuse the yeast, buy grain at wholesale and buy hops at a hop farm for the same price homebrew stores buy it for. They don't need homebrew stores.

Lets just compare apples to apples. Price compare homebrew stores, not homebrew stores and the places they buy from. It makes the homebrew stores look like they are charging too much when they are just trying to stay afloat.

Support your local homebrew store when you can. Lets don't try to come up with more ways to not shop at a homebrew store.

Forrest

The point of this thread is to find the best price possable on bulk grain
are you now telling us not too? cutting out the middle man is the american way.
I dont need a lesson on how to make a fair comparison form you.

and why do I need to keep a home brew store open? thats the owners job not mine, if the store is good it should do fine, if it sucks then why should it not close. my lhbs is great and I buy lots of stuff there, but this hobby is about makeing beer, not makeing sure my lhbs is living large.

and why do I need to keep a home brew store open? thats the owners job not mine, if the store is good it should do fine, if it sucks then why should it not close. my lhbs is great and I buy lots of stuff there, but this hobby is about makeing beer, not makeing sure my lhbs is living large.

You missed my point.

I am in Toronto and I usually pay $55 Cad for a sack of Maris Otter Malt from the UK and 48 for Weyerman Pilsener malt from Germany. The domestic stuff is even cheaper.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/2008_HomeBrewCatalog.pdf
Does anyone have an updated 2009 pdf catalog?
I'm seeing $35.89 for (2060) Canadian 2 row pale malt.

Is the price dropped to $27 now?

I may be making a trip to mid-county Friday, a short hop to I-80, then east to mid county, then another 15 minutes or so east to three floyds!

YES it is $27 now for 55 pounds. I dont have the 2009, but that seemed like the only big diff. in 2009 over 2008.

WOW!!!!

You missed my point.

X2

Most of us are too busy to get wholesale price (you can't get that as an average dude right, you have to through hoops with a tax ID etc?)

That seems to be the case in the west. Don't know why. Over here in the midwest and east, they sell directly to anyone and charge tax. All you have to do is call at least a day ahead of time with what you want.

I did not miss the point , I just think you rant has no place in this thread.
your banter would be better in the vendor forum, unless you have info on finding the best price on bulk grain.
And by all acounts that place is country malt group.

I did not miss the point , I just think you rant has no place in this thread.
your banter would be better in the vendor forum, unless you have info on finding the best price on bulk grain.
And by all acounts that place is country malt group.

I think you did miss the point . This is a topic of buying in bulk and some people are dragging in their local brew shop prices. That is what Forrest was saying he didn't say anything about not buying in bulk.

I'll side step the buy from LHBS argument... I slant my yeast, buy grain in bulk, and buy hops in bulk, yet I still manage to drop $100 (or more) a month at Austin Homebrew between yeast, specialty grains, equipment, etc. :D

A good and often over-looked source for base grain is your local brew pub or micro. They buy lots of malt so they should be willing to sell you a bag at their cost, esp. if you provide occasional homebrews for the brewer. I don't like the Canadian 2-row from Mid Country (problems with my Barley Crusher) we get in the bulk buy so I may try this next time around.

I think you did miss the point . This is a topic of buying in bulk and some people are dragging in their local brew shop prices. That is what Forrest was saying he didn't say anything about not buying in bulk.
But Austin Homebrew has that $6.99 flat rate shipping so imo you do have to compare because it costs me ~$30 to have one 55# sack shipped to me from Country Malt Group. So I have to compare the shipped price (the price that really matters to me).

But it is true that you can't really compare their bulk grain prices in a vacuum. Austin Homebrew just isn't about 'bulk' at all, even though there is a section on their site labeled...BULK GRAIN. Their 'bulk' base grain comes in 40# bags...you can't even get an original 55# sack (that alone can be a dealkiller). It's not really 'bulk' even though they call it that on the site.

I think if you walked into a local shop and told them you wanted to buy 2000lbs of grain they would make a deal on it:D. But a bulk supplier is more suited to that type of sale small markup and huge volume. I buy in bulk but I still do buy grains/equipment/yeast from Forrest or whomever has the best price at the time. I really don't need 55 lbs of chocolate or black patent just sitting around the brewery. I don't have a local brewshop

When you are only buying one or two sacks it kinda negates buying from Country Malt . Unless you can pick it up at their warehouse but they are a few hundred miles from me.

I really don't need 55 lbs of chocolate or black patent just sitting around the brewery.
Lol, I accidentally bought 5# (just 5) of Carafa Special II about 6 months ago. Only 4.5 pounds to go!

When you are only buying one or two sacks it kinda negates buying from Country Malt.
Yea, it was still a little cheaper but the shipping does negate a lot of it. What is weird is that if I buy two sacks the shipping is more than double what it is for one sack (~$67 vs. ~$26). The Fed Ex Priority Zone 2 option is cheaper than Fed Ex Ground ($26 vs $30 for one sack) but is not available for two sacks (only FedEx Ground), but even comparing Fed Ex Ground rates two sacks is still more than double what one sack is.

But still, $61 for 55# of continental malt delivered to your door is not a bad deal.

I went to Ska brewing yesterday, my lhbs. They wanted $95.00 for #50 of pilsen malt!

I guess everyone here is supposed to have a trust fund!

I can buy it cheaper than that BY THE POUND here at the LHBS. That is HORRIBLE!

Paid $36 for 55lbs of BEST MALZ PILS a cpl months ago.

FWIW, Weyerman or not... that is NOT a good price, even by the pound. When buying in bulk, that is a horrible price.

Best Malz is some FINE imoported malt, and thier Pils is $36 for 55# at MidCountry. Nearly $100 for a 50# sack of grain is pretty wild.

Lol, I accidentally bought 5# (just 5) of Carafa Special II about 6 months ago. Only 4.5 pounds to go!

Yea, it was still a little cheaper but the shipping does negate a lot of it. What is weird is that if I buy two sacks the shipping is more than double what it is for one sack (~$67 vs. ~$26). The Fed Ex Priority Zone 2 option is cheaper than Fed Ex Ground ($26 vs $30 for one sack) but is not available for two sacks (only FedEx Ground), but even comparing Fed Ex Ground rates two sacks is still more than double what one sack is.

But still, $61 for 55# of continental malt delivered to your door is not a bad deal.

I would have made two orders of one sack a few days apart need to be creative

FWIW, Weyerman or not... that is NOT a good price, even by the pound. When buying in bulk, that is a horrible price.

Best Malz is some FINE imoported malt, and thier Pils is $36 for 55# at MidCountry. Nearly $100 for a 50# sack of grain is pretty wild.

Last time I checked hops were 4$ an oz too...

Stuff is expensive here, I remember 10 years ago when I moved here the McDonalds and Wendys $1 menu was $1.39!

I wonder if there is any money to be made selling homebrew supplies, I'm considering opening a store if it is worth a shot.

Back