Bulk Buying - Free Shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone knows any vendors offering free shipping on bulk orders. AHS used to do it but now dont sell bulk grain sacks online and the only place I've found is Williams Brewing. Any leads or has anyone used Williams Brewing before?

You can also order from MoreBeer. The trick is to order multiple 10 lb bags. Not quite as good of price but free shipping.

Try 50poundsack.com

I just looked at this website. Their prices are outrageous! $68 for 50# of Rahr 2-Row?

You can also order from MoreBeer. The trick is to order multiple 10 lb bags. Not quite as good of price but free shipping.

$44.55 for the same grains and a larger bag. 55# as opposed to 50#. 5# more for nearly $25 less... Free shipping from both, but cost wise, MB is a better option.

Yep, 10lb increments on morebeer.com. Hope they dont catch on!!

:) Busted...We're aware BradleyBrew!

Depending on where you're located, it may be cheaper to ship (5) 10lb bags (grain is more expensive), or (1) 50lb bag (grain is cheaper, but you're paying for shipping). I would run a shipping quote on our site for each to see if you happen to save money on the sack of grain rather than the 10lb bag.

The reason the 10lb bags are free shipping is because we want to offer free shipping to someone that is putting together a single recipe. For example, someone needs 20lbs 2-row and wants free shipping, we'd like to offer that. We won't be changing this anytime soon though, so no need to keep it on the DL...

Cheers!

Depending on where you're located, it may be cheaper to ship (5) 10lb bags (grain is more expensive), or (1) 50lb bag (grain is cheaper, but you're paying for shipping). I would run a shipping quote on our site for each to see if you happen to save money on the sack of grain rather than the 10lb bag.

The reason the 10lb bags are free shipping is because we want to offer free shipping to someone that is putting together a single recipe. For example, someone needs 20lbs 2-row and wants free shipping, we'd like to offer that. We won't be changing this anytime soon though, so no need to keep it on the DL...

Cheers!

Nice! Well you always get me for yeast, hops, and other various equipment. Love the new PA location. Next day ground shipping to Cincinnati!!

Thanks - we're still trying to work out a few kinks, but will hopefully have things locked down shortly. Attempting to predict quantities and inventory over there has been a slight challenge, but we're getting there. Anyways, glad our free shipping program is helping you guys stock up on your grains!

Now...out of curiosity - would people on here be interested in larger sizes of specialty malts to "bulk up" on? Crystal 15 for example - we only offer 1lb sizes because most recipes don't call for much more than 2lbs. Would a 5lb or 10lb size of unmilled C15 (or other specialty malts) be worthwhile to produce and stock for you guys? Otherwise it's either a lot of 1lb bags, or a sack of 50 / 55lbs!

For me personnally, no. I dont brew the same style or use the same type of specialty grain to justify or warrant a bigger specialty grain buy. Sometimes I will buy specialty grains from the "locals" so I can hand pick what I want and get it it priced by the ounce.

I would like to buy larger quantities of roast/toast/caramel malts as I brew 10-15 gallon batches. Having some more common speciality malts on hand eould be nice outside of 1# bags.

Try it out with some common malts to see what happens.

Looks like MB it is then.,.. Thanks guys.

Jipper... Yes I would buy bulk crystal, I've actually done it before. All my IPAs/APAs are usually a mix of C75 and C40 so buying them 10#s at a time is an option I would probably go for. I think crystal is popular enough that bulk bags would work, other specialty malts.... probably not.

MB - 10 lbs of crystal malt goes pretty quick in a few batches, especially the often-suggested C30 and C60. If you find several recipes call for more than 10% of a crystal malt, I think that would be a candidate for 10 lb quantities.

Very dark malts, not so much.

I'd love to get crystal malts 10lbs at a time. I'm sure my homebrew club would definitely get on board with it too. A large percentage of the recipes we make use C30/40.

for me a 50# bag of two row from williams shipped is 73.37 or more beer bulk 50 # of two row is 71.18 or 5 10# bags of two row with free shipping 50.75

with that being said that is why group buys are great just bought 55 # bags of pale ale malt for 40 dollars to the door

also a LHBS here does group buys on base malts/specialty grains spring and fall

50 pound bags where 40 dollar for base malt and 1.50 a pound for all specialty

all the best

S_M

See in my case I'm looking for Maris Otter and MoreBeer doesn't have anything but single lb bags. Williams Brew runs about $3 more, shipping included, than MB does but they have the sacks in stock. The other bulk base malts seem much cheaper at MB though so if your looking for say 2Row then MB is the best price.

I see what you mean about the MO I use mostly 2 row or pale ale malt for base malts

when I buy bulk I do always get some Vienna and Munich for SMaSH recipes and to put in APA/IPAs

good luck with your buying

S_M

Jipper said:
Now...out of curiosity - would people on here be interested in larger sizes of specialty malts to "bulk up" on? Crystal 15 for example - we only offer 1lb sizes because most recipes don't call for much more than 2lbs. Would a 5lb or 10lb size of unmilled C15 (or other specialty malts) be worthwhile to produce and stock for you guys? Otherwise it's either a lot of 1lb bags, or a sack of 50 / 55lbs!
I would definitely be interested in that i have ordered 5lb of c20 and 5lb of c40 from you guys and i love the way it comes packaged but if it would save me money i would be happy to buy in bulk and weigh my specialty grains out myself.

Cheers!

Matt what about us that don't ever hit you guys up for shipping? :ban:

I feel extremely lucky that MB - Riverside is on my way home from work and only 8 miles from me in any case! I can't say enough good things about you guys and the staff down here in the Southland!

Mouse, it sounds like you have the best of both world situation going on! Nothing beats same day free shipping ;) 8mi. is about as good as it gets! But, of course, if you're feeling lazy and would like us to ship it would only take a couple days to get to you for free from our Concord location...

Thank you for your kind words about our staff down in Riverside also. I'll definitely pass those along!

I also appreciate all of the feedback regarding the bulk crystal / caramel malts. I will bring this to our marketing and production teams, and we will hopefully be able to supply some larger sizes in those malts...at least to start. If / when those go through, I will make sure to post back to this thread, so stay subscribed!

Cheers,
Matt

Mouse, it sounds like you have the best of both world situation going on! Nothing beats same day free shipping ;) 8mi. is about as good as it gets! But, of course, if you're feeling lazy and would like us to ship it would only take a couple days to get to you for free from our Concord location...

Thank you for your kind words about our staff down in Riverside also. I'll definitely pass those along!

Cheers,
Matt

Since I drive past them twice a day five days a week *AND* they are really a great crew, so I agree... I have the best of both worlds!

Back