Bulk Aging Mead w/o Campden Tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe.ron86

Reaction score
Hello All - long time reader, first time poster.

So, sitting here writing this in Central Virginia drinking a Heady Topper and figured I'll ask this question.

I made mead (Honey and blackberry) just before my son was born (he'll be 3 in January 2020) and planned on giving it to him when he's 21. I'm reading up on these campden tablets before bottling for bulk aging and I didn't do that. I'm wondering on the percentage or chance it'll turn bad since I didn't use the campden tablets, and if I remember, I didn't use any at all. I opened up 1 750ml bottle of each about 1 year later and it tasted fine, a little watery, but nothing close of vinegar or drastic off flavors.

Thanks fellow Meaders.

I don't use Campden. It will be fine. The alcohol should keep wild critters at bay, IF there even are any in there. Oxidation hasn't been a problem for me either. In my view, chemical additions of any kind are over-emphasized but really aren't needed in most cases.

Typically anything with an ABV of 10% or higher are 'Stable for life', which is to say that, barring outside influences (Oxidation etc) it will be good a hundred years from now. This is how they can find hundreds of years old wine in ship wrecks and it's still drinkable. The alcohol content is 'self sterilizing'. There are those that will argue that point....

I tend to agree with dmtaylor. While chemical additions have their uses, they are not required to make a fantastic long lived product.

Agree with DMtaylor. But if aging that long consider oxygen barriers around the cork and a relatively stable temperature. Wax or shrink wrap in addition to the cork.

Agree with DMtaylor. But if aging that long consider oxygen barriers around the cork and a relatively stable temperature. Wax or shrink wrap in addition to the cork.

Unfortunately Shrink wrap sleeves have holes in them and wine wax has been proven to be no better than wrapping your bottle neck in saran wrap.

The better quality screw top caps actually let in close to zero oxygen, and are proving to be great for long term storage.

That's funny, I did the same thing, made blackberry mead just before my son was born and stashed it away to age. I did add potassium metabisulfite when I bottled, but am worried that I didn't oak it or make it super strong (I think it's 11.5% ABV) so it may not be amazing in another 20 years, but hopefully at least drinkable. My plan is to have a few other meads stashed away for long term aging, just in case. I also only have 6 bottles of the blackberry which will limit my ability to keep checking it over the years.

The better quality screw top caps actually let in close to zero oxygen, and are proving to be great for long term storage.

Be careful with newfangled screw caps. While they do a really great job, they only really work if you use them exactly correctly. Most now have an oxygen absorbing membrane that activates when wet. So if you do a typical sanitation round by either steaming or boiling, even just dipping into StarSan solution, you effectively ruin the higher priced screw cap. Sounds weird to think you have to read the instructions for a screw cap or crown cap BUT READ the manufactures instructions.

Back