Built immersion chiller, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy915

Reaction score
Finnally got around to building this thing. Is there anything I need to do to it before its maiden voyage?

ForumRunner_20110323_201235.jpg

Besides connect up the feed and waste lines? Not really... I will say that it looks like a rat's nest (or more like a bird nest) to me... You might want to test it out on some boiling water before you use it in your wort for the first time...

Hose fittings on the ends so that you can hook it to a water source?

Forgot to mention I took the hookups off. I had it nice and pretty at first but too much was sticking out of the water when I measured it, so I had to widen it by hand. That's why it looks like a mess. Thanks for the replies though.

How big is the IC (feet)? How big is the pot? What size batches will you be making?

Might have been a better idea to just make a second set of coil going over the first ones (using the same hardware that you wrapped it around the first time)... Since you have pretty much no room to move the IC around inside that pot...

Can you make it taller?
It will perform better if it is in contact with more volume of the wort and in a more uniform manner. The hot wort will rise, if the chiller is scrunched on the bottom it may take longer for the thermal convection in the fluid to work/mix to cool the entire volume.
But, I've never built one myself so what the hell do I know!
Gotta buy the copper tubing soon!
Let us know how it works.

Golddiggie said:
How big is the IC (feet)? How big is the pot? What size batches will you be making?

Might have been a better idea to just make a second set of coil going over the first ones (using the same hardware that you wrapped it around the first time)... Since you have pretty much no room to move the IC around inside that pot...

IC=50 FT, pot=10.5 gallons, I make 6.5 gallons.

Joesf35 said:
Can you make it taller?
It will perform better if it is in contact with more volume of the wort and in a more uniform manner. The hot wort will rise, if the chiller is scrunched on the bottom it may take longer for the thermal convection in the fluid to work/mix to cool the entire volume.
But, I've never built one myself so what the hell do I know!
Gotta buy the copper tubing soon!
Let us know how it works.

It was taller, but when I poured a little more than 6 gallons of water (to make up for the heat expansion) into the pot, too much of the copper tubing was sticking out above the water. That's why I made it wider so it could sit under the water level.

One more question; Do I empty the water in the chiller when I'm done with it?

billy915 said:
One more question; Do I empty the water in the chiller when I'm done with it?

Yes... Normally, we end up letting as much drain as possible by holding the copper end up high, and laying the tubing out. Once we get most out, either hold it with one hand (if the coils allow you can put it around an arm) and blow into the waste line... That will push air into the IC and force the water out the other line... I also use my shower rod to hold the assembly higher, to make sure it drains well... It's not critical to drain it, since it's not a sealed system. I just wouldn't want a lot of water left in there that could build up crud over time.

Don't worry how it looks. The wort doesn't care. Once you've begun to use it, you'll quickly learn that you'll accelerate the chilling by gently swirling the chiller in the wort. Adjust the flow of water so that the waste water just stays hot while you're slowly stirring it in the wort but quickly cools if you stop. That way you'll optimize the chilling without wasting water. Congratulations on your chiller. Chill it fast for a good cold break and better beer.

When I finish, I do empty mine, but I really don't think it's necessary.

i don't swirl my ic, as i find it tends to leave the crud separated instead of blended back in when i just let it cool on it's own

Another question came to mind.
Does it matter if the inflow of water starts at the top of the coil, or the bottom?

billy915 said:
Another question came to mind.
Does it matter if the inflow of water starts at the top of the coil, or the bottom?

Won't make much of a difference but flowing from the bottom up will more closely match counterflow.

Pilgarlic said:
When I finish, I do empty mine, but I really don't think it's necessary.

I forgot to empty mine once. When I put it in next, as the water heated it started to puke and spit water out of the connections. At first it started me but then it sounded funny!

I turn mine upside down and rotate it back and forth to empty it, and then store it upside down

Back