Building water from RO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indianaroller

Reaction score
I want to start building up my brewing water from RO water. My only option right now is to buy it in bulk from the grocery store. Since I do not have a water analysis, should I just assume that the water is stripped of pretty much everything?

Yes, if it's sold as RO water it's at least 99% pure (read: free of minerals and salts). :)

A more cost effective method for building water is to blend RO with dechlorinated tap water (assuming you have access to a tap water analysis) and add a small amount of salt(s) to adjust.

That is what I do, take in my carboys to the store and fill them myself. Got some looks and comments (Hey, nice jugs!) when I walked in with one 7 gallon and three 5 gallon carboys, but it worked all the same.

If you haven't already, search the forums for TH's spreadsheet. It makes the process really easy: add some salts to the mash, some to the boil.

You can pick up your own RO system for pretty cheap through aquarium suppliers. I have an RO/DI system that I use for my saltwater reef tanks and I use it to make my own water for brewing too. I got it here: www.thefilterguys.biz There are TONS of different brands out there though marketed towards the reef keeping hobby. You can get a decent 4-Stage RO only system (minus the DI filter) for about $125. In the long run you'll save a lot of money over going to the store and buying RO water:)

You can get a decent 4-Stage RO only system (minus the DI filter) for about $125. In the long run you'll save a lot of money over going to the store and buying RO water:)

Honestly, the cost savings is negligible at best. The only benefit I see is convenience but you still have to spend time purchasing and changing out filters every 6 to 12 months.

On average, I brew every 2 weeks, so 26 times a year. For a 10 gallon batch, I typically use 8 gallons of RO which costs $0.25/gal.

26 * 8 gal * $0.25 = $52/yr

So, it would take 2.5 years just to pay for the initial system plus I'd have to factor in the RO media and filter cost replacement which isn't cheap.

I'll stick with the RO machine at my local grocery store. :)

Agreed, I think the home RO unit, if the only purpose is beer, is a bad choice. You waste tons of water per water filtered, they require annual maintenance, and it takes hours to run off enough water for a brewday. All this to save, net of maintenance costs, a couple bucks a year. Not worth it for me.

That is what I do, take in my carboys to the store and fill them myself. Got some looks and comments (Hey, nice jugs!) when I walked in with one 7 gallon and three 5 gallon carboys, but it worked all the same.

If you haven't already, search the forums for TH's spreadsheet. It makes the process really easy: add some salts to the mash, some to the boil.

Hahaha. I take a 6.5 gallon fermenter and my bottling bucket. They guy always
asks what I'm doing with 10 gallons of water even though "Fermenter" is clearly painted on the side.

Back