Building a Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I got 20' of 3/8 od tubing on sale the other day. I also got all of my fittings etc. I have decided to use compression fittings since I have zero soldering skills. I just have 1 question.

I currently do partial boils but am hoping to go to full boils soon. How tall should I make the hose attachments. Looking online it seemed like 18" should cover most 32 qt pots but advice would be good.

Ray

If you don't. Have to bigger pot yet, you can make them slightly longer, and then when you finally get the pot, you can cut them to fit. I have built three chillers so far: two immersion chillers and one counter-flow chiller. Each one is better than the last. Good luck.

Hey all,

I got 20' of 3/8 od tubing on sale the other day. I also got all of my fittings etc. I have decided to use compression fittings since I have zero soldering skills. I just have 1 question.

I currently do partial boils but am hoping to go to full boils soon. How tall should I make the hose attachments. Looking online it seemed like 18" should cover most 32 qt pots but advice would be good.

Ray

When I was making mine, I stuck it in the pot when I made the initial bend for the water in line and again after coiling it and bending upwards to make an out line. hope this helps. I assume you've read or watched a video online about doing this? if you have a friend I would really advise getting an extra set of hands to help

If you can bend the sides to hang on the side, you don't have to worry about if it's tall enough since heat rises as long as it is reaching your partial boil.

Good luck with it and I was really surprised about how easy it ended up being.

Don't worry about the compression fittings. They can be better then soldered joints.

fittings schmittings!

Just fit the ID of your vinyl hose over the OD of the copper tube and clamp. use barb fittings for the other end of the vinyl.

Back