Building a T-shaped hop trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on this. I'm looking at metal conduit to build and am wanting to do a t-shaped design. I was thinking of something like this:

-Take a threaded 10 foot 3/4 inch and cut it so its a 6 foot and 4 foot

-Put the 6 foot section in the ground 2 feet and pour concrete around it.

-This would leave 4 feet above ground.

-Use a coupler and connect another 10 foot section to it for a total of 14 feet in air.

-At the top is what I'm worried about. I found a section that would make a T, but am worried about weight. See the section in attached photo.

-Then attach 4 foot sections on each side. So it would be 8 feet total at the top. The ideal solution would be to somehow connect a FULL 8 foot section at the top so there wouldnt have to be so much weight on the t-coupler. I have yet to see that type of connection though.

-I should have 4-6 rhizomes going

Any ideas on this or has anyone seen something similar? Most of the T-shaped ones ive seen are wood

Conduit Trellis.jpg

How many varieties?

8 Feet is a bit small for more than 3 varieties. One on each end and one in the middle gives you decent room but on the low side.

A typical full grown/ full of cones plant can weigh upwards of 20-30 pounds. The rigid pipe with the base in concrete I would think should support that but as mentioned, I don't think you are allowing enough space for 3 varieties as they will no doubt intermingle and make harvesting difficult to say the least.

they will no doubt intermingle and make harvesting difficult to say the least.
indeed, unless the OP doesn't mind having a "mixed hops" bag. cascade, centennial and nugget all fall into the "american IPA" category, so having them mixed up together isn't the end of the world IMO (unless you're a control freak and can't deal with a blend of uncertain proportions).

Back