Building a Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
Looking for advice on building a jockey box.

I'm am leaning toward using a coil instead of a cold plate, because everything I've read says a coil works better. The catch is that I want to serve 4 products, fit inside a normal size cooler and not spend a totally outrageous amount of money.

I figure a 25 ft 3/8" OD coil will still work better than a cold plate and I can get four of them for less money--even looking on ebay. If I go with a 50 ft coil, I will need a huge cooler and four coils will run quite a bit more.

Am I heading in the right direction?

Is there any reason I should pick a 1/4" OD coil over 3/8"? I'm thinking the larger diameter tubing will be better given a length of 25-50" of coil (plus beer line).

I run cold plates. I have to make sure the kegs are warm enough or else I freeze the beer in the plates.

I have two 4-product cold plates from micromatic. I run them in series so each beer goes through both plates. They don't take up much space and I put them directly on block ice and then fill the rest of the cooler up with ice.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's one heck of an expensive cold pate setup, but it seems like an effective way to run four (or eight) products in a reasonably sized cooler.

I'm a little surprised I'm not getting more feedback. I figured there would be a ton of members here with jockey box experience.

I have a jockey box. It's a 5-tap model. I use a cold plate. I have absolutley no problem keeping the beer cold. I use a 54 quart SS cooler. It looks pretty bad-ass and works very well.

I've never used coils. I went with the cold plate because I got a used one for $40. I had to buy some hardware to make it work, but I don't think I would have shelled out the money for a new setup. They are pretty pricey.

I get Micromatic at wholesale so that helps...

The cold plates are great. Honestly I think I could do just one plate for a moderate pour rate. With the dual plate we were pushing 5 gal/hr with 75 degree kegs and warmer ambient in moab this past fall. Ice cold pour after pour.

I got a killer deal on some ss coils that look to be the 120' coils from micromatic. Those will go into a 2 tap box for smaller events. Coils are super awesome but they are giant space hogs. That is really the only downside that I see. I think they work great.

Thanks guys. Yeah, wholesale prices at Micromatic would probably be a game changer.

The bottom line for me: Am I on the right track thinking a 25" SS coil will be just as effective as a cold plate?

3/8" OD for $39.50 each with no pricey fittings are required. Eight SS hose clamps and some 1/4" or 3/8" ID beer tubing, and away you go. Leaning toward 1/4" for consistent pressure throughout the journey from keg to faucet.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Coiled-to-customers-request-035-304304L-Coiled-Tubing_p_30.html

I'd probably go 1/4 on the tubing.

Stainlessbrewing is a great place. I buy from Zach regularly.

The double cold plate has 24' total cold tubing. The big difference is that it stay cold longer with all the thermal mass. I'd probably go with 50' if you can afford it.

Latest posts

Back