Building a collar for my freezer... should I wrap the wood in plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco

Reaction score
I'm working on a collar for my chest freezer. I was planning on staining the wood and adding a layer of insulating foam I have - was wondering if I should wrap the inside of the wood with plastic sheeting. Any thoughts?

plastic on the inside of the wood, was my question - to prevent moisture warping the wood. Was also wondering how to attach the plastic - staples?

I used plastic 2x6 fencing material; no rot issues, and it's hollow inside, so I was able to fill it with extruded polystyrene insulation as well as use it as a conduit for running my wiring to the Love controller.

The way to go is a good urethane varnish, inside and out. Make certain it is compatible with the stain and let the stain dry 3-4 times as long as the directions say.

It may be too late now, as it sounds like you've purchased your materials already, but I would recommend you use pressure treated wood. It won't warp and it won't require the use of insulation. The stuff's great for this sort of application.

I just used cedar on mine. Just a few coats of stain and that is it. No issues with mine losing temp or warping or anything so far.

Latest posts

Back