Building a collar for an upright freezer. Can I lay it on its back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I'm looking to expand my brewing and fermenting capacity, and all of the fermentation vessels I've been wanting (14 gal brew bucket, Chronical 14, Spike CF10, etc.) are just a tad too big for my upright fermentation chamber. The height is just fine, and so is the width, but the depth is just too short. So I thought I'd just build a collar to expand the depth a bit, not too dissimilar from putting a collar on my chest keezer.

I know that having a fridge/freezer in any position other than upright can be bad news if you don't allow enough time for the oil to drain back out of the coils and such. And when you do need to lay it down, it should be on it's side, away from the compressor.

But what are the risks of laying one down on its back? I know that it's possible bend/damage fins, coils, tubing, etc... But mine is a fairly new model and I know that the coils are on the sides of the unit, not the back. And the back of the unit doesn't really have anything exposed, just a flat metal panel for the most part.

It just seems like it'd be so much easier to affix and secure the collar to the freezer with it laying down, instead of standing up or on it's side where I'll be fighting gravity. It'd also be easier to install some adjustable feet to the collar since I'll be changing the balance of the unit by moving the door further out.

I've also got some jack-stands... So if the fear/problem is literally just that something on the back panel could be damaged, I could always just place the stands at the corners.

The compressor needs to be in its intended orientation in order to run. Upright means upright.

The compressor needs to be in its intended orientation in order to run. Upright means upright.

Yeah, that I'm aware of. I'm not talking about running it while it's on it's back. I'm wondering if there are inherent problems of placing it on its back for the purposes of constructing and affixing the collar.

Yeah, that I'm aware of. I'm not talking about running it while it's on it's back. I'm wondering if there are inherent problems of placing it on its back for the purposes of constructing and affixing the collar.

Oh, got it. I would just expect it will need to stand upright for a time before starting up again for the fluids to drain back where they belong.

AFAIK, no problems.
A pro in refrigeration told me to literally rotate a freezer, that hadn't been used for several years, on all its sides and upside down to re-lubricate the compressor (piston?), as all the lubrication oil sinks to the bottom over time. I did that whole routine 3 times, several hours on each surface, over 3 days. Then let it sit for a day, in its proper position, and plugged it in. 5 years later, still works as it should.

Last edited:
However long it is on its side is how long you need to let it stand again upright before plugging it in. Conventional wisdom says to let any fridge or freezer stand 24 hours before plugging it in, but that is only necessary if it is new to you and you don't know if or how long it was on its side before reaching your hands. In any case waiting longer than 24 hours doesn't accomplish anything, so if you want to take no chances just let it stand 24 hours.

Considering the investment of time, effort and cost, I'd be patient and allow the full CW 24 hours for any fluid to drain back in the compressor sump. It'd totally suck to blow out a seal or break something inside compressor after all the work...

Cheers!

a day...24hrs...is the general rule of thumb...never ever had a problem letting one stand upright a full day before firing it up...

as far as which way to lay it down...I always look at the Freon lines and try to envision which side will contain or keep most of the oil near the compressor...not sure if it really matters though...

Latest posts

Back