Bug Farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
I have a big farm going and I was wondering if I just ran a yeast starter with a stir plate with each of these From a yeast slant for secondary fermentation would be good or if I needed to do something else specific for these to grow these bugs
brett C
Pediococcus
Lacto

Sorry, I posted that right before bed last night and is shows.

I have lacto, pediococcus, and brett C on beer slants that I made. I am looking at doing a starter with these guys to get the cultures up before pitching them.

Would a simple starter work to get the counts up?
How long do I need to run it?
Do I need to use my stirplate?

I have a big farm going and I was wondering if I just ran a yeast starter with a stir plate with each of these From a yeast slant for secondary fermentation would be good or if I needed to do something else specific for these to grow these bugs
brett C
Pediococcus
Lacto

I kept reading your first post over and over thinking "I want whatever he's smoke'n" and finally went on to the second thread. Been there, but still LOL.

Sorry, I posted that right before bed last night and is shows.

I have lacto, pediococcus, and brett C on beer slants that I made. I am looking at doing a starter with these guys to get the cultures up before pitching them.

Would a simple starter work to get the counts up?
How long do I need to run it?
Do I need to use my stirplate?

Yes, a simple starter works well. Depending on the volume (which should be low since you are starting with a low cell count), it should only take 1-3 days to boost the cell numbers.

Use a stirplate with headspace for Brett. Since Lactobacillus and Pediococcus are anaerobic, grow them in a still flask (no shaking, stirring, etc) with very little headspace.

Yes, a simple starter works well. Depending on the volume (which should be low since you are starting with a low cell count), it should only take 1-3 days to boost the cell numbers.

Use a stirplate with headspace for Brett. Since Lactobacillus and Pediococcus are anaerobic, grow them in a still flask (no shaking, stirring, etc) with very little headspace.

I planned to start with a 500ml flask then go to a 2L for the pitch. Do I need to give to 1-2 days at 500ml then 1-2 days at 2L? Would that give it enough time to boost the cell counts?

You should start smaller. To upscale starters, use factors of 10. eg. 5ml to 50ml to 500ml.

You could still start with 500ml, but your chances of contaminating the fresh wort (with something else) are higher. Also, sometimes the bugs don't grow as well when they are so diluted. You will also have to wait longer than 2 days for a small sample from a slant to finish a 500ml starter, hard to guess how long. Can you keep them warm? Lacto and Pedio do best at >90F.

The jump from 500ml to 2L should take about 2-4 days, if the conditions are right.

Latest posts

Back