Buffalo NY group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get to Pittsburgh a lot. I have relatives there. I've thought about jumping in on one of their buys. I have a Honda Element. Not as sweet as a minivan, but able to haul a lot of grain bags. I'd be willing to make the trip down and back as well.

Buffalo area brewers interested in a group purchase:

I am putting together a group buy. Will be getting a list of grains and cost very soon and will post. The grains will come through Dunkirk Homebrew Supplies which is on Rt 20 east of Fredonia.

Once the grain arrives at the store, we need to move it on quite soon as there isn't space for long-term storage there. Or if we arrange a common destination/delivery/pickup time, I could run it up to Buffalo area for a buck more per bag to cover gas.

But really, you all should visit the store, and get some hops or yeast while there to make this service more profitable for the owner. (I'm not the owner, just a friend of the owner and the store.

If there are enough of you interested in this to make it worthwhile, we can do it, and can do it on a regular basis. Might actually be a bit easier than a typical buy, since 38 bags or 43 bags, ok; we don't have to hit 40 spot on. Though we want to make it a large as possible buy to make it worth owner's efforts since his profit margin on this will be low.

Let me know what you all think -
Michael Gerholdt

Awesome work Michael!

I think there should be a precedent set so things don't get sloppy if this becomes a regular/bigger thing.

Something similar to what the 'Cuse guys do but adapted for this situation:
1. All orders should be paid in advance of the order being placed.
2. Pickup should be on a Saturday within a 2-4 hour timeslot
3. Minimum of 2-3 bags per person. If you want 1 bag, combine orders.
4. Have some sort of kickback for the store. Either buy something there or give them an extra 5% so they're happy keeping us happy.

Sounds like a great idea - if we keep it within one day, and the store gets some sort of kickback, it'd be great for them as well. They'll sacrifice a slight amount of storage space for less than a week, and get a significant amount of traffic from people they wouldn't have seen had the order not been placed along with building some customer loyalty. I'd ditch the 'Cuse grain buy if this became a quarterly thing or something.

Some good ideas, mjap, and had thought along those lines to some extent already.

As noted, we have a bit more flexibility since we're dealing with a homebrew shop. You'll see that when you see the grain list as it includes 10 lb bags of some grains.

So as always the devil's in the details. Not really interested in making a bunch of rules as what we are after here is making it possible for beer-loving brewers to get grain more economically, right?

That said, also not really too interested in handling single purchase of a 10 lb bag for an individual. I'm not saying it will be refused but please, think about getting your large bags of base and whatever smaller bags you want, go for it.

If this works and has a future, then we'll find out what kinds of rules we need to make to keep it workable. For now, please take a look at the grain list. I'll provide some more information on how to order and pay shortly, as well as a cutoff date for ordering, when the grains will be ordered and when we will expect delivery.

We can think together about how to move them from the homebrew shop up to Buffalo.

Note that these prices are solely for our WNY bulk grain purchases and not for individual purchases. The link I am providing isn't published on the website anywhere - there is no link to it. It's just for us. Share it with others who might want to get into a group purchase with us - but not as an example of in-store prices, because they aren't. Don't put links to it out on any other forums or websites, please. Thanks. Just your local brewing acquaintances, that kind of thing.

Here is the Grain List.

If these prices look good and we have enough interest, let me know and we will press ahead.

Here's our process for now:

1. PM me and tell me roughly what you want to order. The code and the quantity are sufficient as I'm looking for a rough estimate. If your actual order changes a bit, no problem. Just sniffing the air here.
  2. I'll respond with a snail mail address. Please send the following to that address:
    • Check made out to Dunkirk Homebrew Supply for the total cost.
    • Contact information for you - Name, email and phone so we can communicate easily to resolve any issues
    • An itemized list. Please include Code, description, size of bag, quantity and subtotal all on one line, and then a grand total at bottom. If you write by hand, please make it as legible as possible.

(In the not too distant future, I'll put all of this in an online storefront to make it go much easier for us all, if we keep enough happening to make that worthwhile.)

We will not cash checks until enough orders have come in to place the bulk order, so if things fall through, your check will either be destroyed or returned to you, and you will be informed, so rest assured on that.

I'll report back here as I've seen in the past regarding quantity of bags and how close we are to closing orders and processing the first shipment. If there is more interest immediately from others, no need to wait months for a second buy.

pmichael,

If you're interested, I could work on setting up a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of the order & to show real-time total costs.

I am also buying a pickup truck in the next few days, so I could also help out in transportation.

pmichael,

If you're interested, I could work on setting up a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of the order & to show real-time total costs.

I am also buying a pickup truck in the next few days, so I could also help out in transportation.

Thanks but I will probably put this into storefront. For first time buy, I have tracing it covered.

So far, only one confirmed interest. I'd like to have a complete buy set up by three weeks from now so we can get this in with the next regular order for the store. So, if you or those you know are interested, let's put this together.

NOTE:
The prices listed on the webpage link in a previous message are the total cost to the buyer. Shipping (to the homebrew shop) is factored in already. We will work out how to get it to Buffalo to a common location for everyone to get theirs and there may be some contribution toward gas involved there but that will be minimal at most.

Great work! My hand is still out of commish and I have be battling a severe case of pneumonia. If things don't work out or things become problematic at dunkirk homebrew we can resume our routine in buffalo. I hope to return to normal life in March. Let me know if you need any help! Best
John

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is a complete buy? A pallet?

We don't have to be concerned about that. Once we get over 30 bags we'll place an order. Do not need a full pallet when ordering through the homebrew shop - have far more flexibility.

Got confirmed for 5 bags minimum at this point.

John - hope this isn't slowing down your brewery plans!

Or making it hard to hold a tulip.

Anyone have any experience with avangard malz? It's a pretty nice price, I may try out a sack.

Whereas most group buys are driven by arriving at the magic number of 40 bags in order to make a full pallet, this one is a bit different.

Next shop order goes in a few days after March 15. I'd like to cut off for the first order on March 15 so we can do bookwork and get this in with the regular order. If there is enough interest immediately after, we could theoretically have another group purchase the following month or the month thereafter.

Thing is, to make this worthwhile, need to have some real interest, not a bag or two. At this point, despite a fair amount of expressed interest, I've received only one actual order in the mail.

So please take a look and if you or others you know in the area have an interest in getting in on a purchase, PM me and I'll send you the mail-to address for order and payment.

Even if response is not sufficient to sustain this as a group-buy method, we will honor all orders for this first go-round, so any of you who have sent in orders, rest assured that your order will be processed and grain ordered.

I am hoping to do a buffalo based buy towards the end of March if we have interest. Once the brewery is open we can add on to the brewery's order.

[Q UOTE=jdomres;5937529]I am hoping to do a buffalo based buy towards the end of March if we have interest. Once the brewery is open we can add on to the brewery's order.

I'll be ready for some grain by the end of march. So I'm in. Thanks.

I am hoping to do a buffalo based buy towards the end of March if we have interest. Once the brewery is open we can add on to the brewery's order.

This being the case, I won't pursue this through Dunkirk Homebrew supply past this first purchase.

Anyone who wants grain through this purchase, please order before 3/15.

The grain will be on hand before the end of March.

I've never been in on a group but before, so I'm not sure how it works. I work downtown but live in the Southtowns, I'll bring money in advance wherever it needs to be.

I've never been in on a group but before, so I'm not sure how it works. I work downtown but live in the Southtowns, I'll bring money in advance wherever it needs to be.

You are more than welcome, I'm sure, in any of the group purchases.

There is one taking place right now. Look back a few messages on this thread (message 167) to read about it and find the link to the grain list with prices. If you want grain before the end of March, I suggest you get on board with this buy. PM me for info on how to order after you have reviewed the grain list and if you want to get on board with this buy.

Ongoing, it there will be other group buys handled in different ways and it sounds like another will be getting set up around the end of March, so you can always wait for that one.

Anyone looking for grain storage bins I have 3 extra ones. Looking to get what I have in $35 each $80 for 3 ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393713110.185601.jpg call or txt. 716-867-0576 these are food grade

John, what's your brewery called? Is it one of the one's we've been hearing about in the pipeline?

"Whereas most group buys are driven by arriving at the magic number of 40 bags in order to make a full pallet, this one is a bit different.

Next shop order goes in a few days after March 15. I'd like to cut off for the first order on March 15 so we can do bookwork and get this in with the regular order. If there is enough interest immediately after, we could theoretically have another group purchase the following month or the month thereafter.

Thing is, to make this worthwhile, need to have some real interest, not a bag or two. At this point, despite a fair amount of expressed interest, I've received only one actual order in the mail.

So please take a look and if you or others you know in the area have an interest in getting in on a purchase, PM me and I'll send you the mail-to address for order and payment.

Even if response is not sufficient to sustain this as a group-buy method, we will honor all orders for this first go-round, so any of you who have sent in orders, rest assured that your order will be processed and grain ordered."

It is organized PM pmichael with your order

Thanks, racin_ny.

I have received only two actual orders with payment. The order will be put in later next week and the grains should be here two weeks from now, for those who have ordered.

Anyone else who wants to get in, it needs to happen quickly. I had hoped for a cut-off date of 3/15, but I can get in any orders I receive by Wednesday 3/19. Perhaps even Thursday 3/20. Orders I receive after that date will be too late.

Since there is such little interest, I won't continue with this effort. It sounds like John will be a very good source for grain, particularly when the brewery is underway, so that is how I would suggest future group buys for Buffalo area.

Keep Dunkirk Homebrew Supply in mind for future needs and special orders! It's a fun place to hang, brew and sample, too. Again, I am not the proprietor, just a friend of the store. It isn't too far away to visit.

I thought there would be much more interest. Probably has to do with the time of year. A lot less brewing going on this winter - myself included.

Thanks for setting this up!

For those who still might be interested

Here is the grain and price list for the March, 2014 Buffalo area group grain buy.

I'll be taking this list down after this grain buy, so the link is only helpful for the coming few days. If things change in the future and there is a need to support another group grain buy from the Dunkirk Homebrew Supply shop, I can update the page and make the list public once again.

The orders have been processed and grains will be here probably in a week, two weeks at most.

The grains by bag are still listed at http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com though I've removed price and availability information. You can call the shop and see what he'll do for one or a few bags. Tell him you saw the link to the site on homebrewtalk.com in the Buffalo bulk grain buy forum.

Here's to the next successful batch ...

Hey John. Hope all is well. How are things looking for a march/April buy?

Hopefully with in a week or so I will finally have a geared JSP malt mill! I would most definitely be interest in getting a couple of bags of 2-row minimum. I looked over the Dunkirk offerings and now that my brew list has solidified I know what my inventory needs to be. I hope there is another group effort. It is rough in Buffalo, I've been here for just over 10 years and it seems like it is the land of good intentions without a lot of follow through. I'm subscribing and hoping.

I picked up my grain in Dunkirk. Very nice people. I wish they were closer to me. I'd throw them a lot of my business.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Home Brew mobile app

Back