Budweiser project 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see an "Improve the Budwesier Competition" where brewers tweak the recipe to make it better.

There are way too many really good craft beers I don't have the time or $ to try, to waste time on these.

The fact that this is even being disscused is kind of like having a serious debate over the musical accolades of vanilla ice.

I know right, how could anybody doubt the awesomeness of either. A night of Bud Light and Vanilla Ice would make for the best weekend ever. Throw in some Pauly Shore movies and I don't even want to think of how much fun would be had.

I know right, how could anybody doubt the awesomeness of either. A night of Bud Light and Vanilla Ice would make for the best weekend ever. Throw in some Pauly Shore movies and I don't even want to think of how much fun would be had.

I think beer just came out of my nose!

Darth vader, Hitler, and Satan might get together and make a fantastic beer, but at some point wouldn't you say "I would rather not give my money to pure evil"?

As I have said: F()CK INBEV AND THE *****EY BREWERY THEY RODE IN ON.

SO SAY WE ALL.

Darth vader, Hitler, and Satan might get together and make a fantastic beer, but at some point wouldn't you say "I would rather not give my money to pure evil"?

As I have said: F()CK INBEV AND THE *****EY BREWERY THEY RODE IN ON.

SO SAY WE ALL.

I can't get emotional about any of this. I don't know how to respond to that kind of comment.

If the beer tastes good I'll drink it. I'm assuming InBev/Bud operates within the law. I see no problem here.

I can't get emotional about any of this. I don't know how to respond to that kind of comment.

If the beer tastes good I'll drink it. I'm assuming InBev/Bud operates within the law. I see no problem here.

monsanto also opperates within the law -the only problem is that they also make them.

Maybe I just have different priorities than some on here. For me, it's exceedingly simple: If it's good, I'll drink it. If InBev makes it, that's not my problem... that's the craft breweries' problem. Step up your game. Vice versa holds true: If a craft brewery makes it, then that's what I'll drink. I do have morals and I do try to support the local communities and the "little guy", but if InBev makes something that appeals to me, I'm not going to hold out on it just to prove a point. That being said, being a craft beer lover, my first stop is always a craft beer shop. I am always willing to try something new, and that INCLUDES something that InBev may make.

We often hear about how this company over here supports gay marriage and that company over there is pro-life, and inevitably people get in a fit about it. InBev is on a whole different level than those kinds of stances and people don't get pissed about InBev because of some non-beer related stance. These people get pissed off because InBev is out to destroy the 50% of the marketshare that isn't owned by them. They attack small breweries BECAUSE THEY CAN, because they have the money and 99% of craft breweries don't. Their monopoly on the beer market is the most dangerous threat to craft breweries expanding; craft breweries have boomed since the 1980s, but that still doesn't negate InBev's monopoly.

The general public doesn't buy Budweiser products because they are a superior product, but because they've been trained to think that Bud Light is actual "beer" instead of carbonated yellow water. Marketing is a powerful tool. For Budweiser, it's a free pass to promote themselves further and slap around any breweries that they find threatening.

monsanto also opperates within the law -the only problem is that they also make them.

This. Documentaries like Food Inc. and Beer Wars provide the general public a small glance into how conglomerate businesses are so powerful that they influence (read: make) the laws. I'm afraid to dig any deeper into either industry because I'm sure I'd be even more sickened by how they control the law.

I'm not for or against anything that AB makes. I just enjoy other beers. There beer isn't my thing. That's ok, plenty of other people enjoy it.

I've got a little insight to the AB brewery in NH. My friend has been working there for 20 years. He has told me some of the cost cutting that has happened since InBev bought them.

Can't remember all of the specifics, but they use up to something like 10-12 generations of reused yeast. I think he said it used to be something like 4-5.

I think they also used to use new beechwood chips after a batch, but now they are reusing them a certain amount of times.

I'm not saying these techinques are good or bad. Maybe they've done studies where it doesn't make a difference in taste?

As far as quality and consistency, they have state of the art automated equipment to do this. Not saying the brewmasters aren't talented and passionate, but I bet it sure does help to produce this amount of beer consistently.

He also told me that the messed up batches of Bud actually get turned into Bush. I Never knew that? Nothing is wasted there, and they won't let a slightly off batch of Bud out, nor will they waste it.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it's just business. I've been in a few situations at jobs where a company buys out another, and they always cut the fat and look for anyway to save the bottom line.

Why has craft beer been slowly growing and gaining some ground on the BMC crowd? I know there are many factors, but maybe this cost cutting is having a slight impact?

He's going to try and give me a behind the scenes tour sometime next year. I'd love to see all of that high tech equipment in action.

Ill try em. I just dont really want to buy a 12 pack of it though.:) Ill wait till they end up in a mixer-sixer section,maybe if they do. I do that if I can with most craft beer if possible anyway and often pass up 6 packs, mixers lets me try more and spend less and not being bummed out about haveing 5 more of something I dont really care for.

I have to say- I think this is the way most homebrewers view this subject and I have to say I think it's a shame. I think this is a reflection on society and how we blame and rely on everybody and everything else. It's sad.

metanoia said:
...These people get pissed off because InBev is out to destroy the 50% of the marketshare that isn't owned by them. They attack small breweries BECAUSE THEY CAN, because they have the money and 99% of craft breweries don't. Their monopoly on the beer market is the most dangerous threat to craft breweries expanding; craft breweries have boomed since the 1980s, but that still doesn't negate InBev's monopoly.

The general public doesn't buy Budweiser products because they are a superior product, but because they've been trained to think that Bud Light is actual "beer" instead of carbonated yellow water. Marketing is a powerful tool. For Budweiser, it's a free pass to promote themselves further and slap around any breweries that they find threatening.

... they influence (read: make) the laws. I'm afraid to dig any deeper into either industry because I'm sure I'd be even more sickened by how they control the law.

InBev is a business... Of course they are going after its competitors! Just the same way that Sierra Nevada will go after New Belgium. It's rediculous to think otherwise! I think their "monopoly" on the beer business is what helps the craft industry grow. My first beer was a bottle of Budweiser and I enjoy Budweiser still til this day. Yes I prefer a bottle of Sierra Nevada Estate much more but Budweiser is a quality consistent product that I can get anywhere and count on it to always be the same. InBev is there for a reason. People love light, consistent, and easily available products. But I do believe that bud even helps the craft world- it actually helps the market in a way. When a company like bud releases shock top people that have not drank craft beer try it based on the company they love and it opens their eyes... I don't really give them much of that credit though.
Budweiser is a superior product. Yes they make their beer with cheaper ingredients. This does not take away that people like it, it is clean, consistent, and available everywhere. Also if InBev closed shop thousands of people would be out of jobs... Me being one of them because the distributorship I work for will probably lay off over half it's employees.
They DO influence laws because this is America. Guess who else influences laws- YOU (small companies, religions- as in prohibition-, large companies, and organizations). If you'd become sick of how they control law then you'll be pissed at almost every big company, corporation, religion, organization (even private organizations such as Freemasons) in this country. Actually you should probably not like this country as a whole. Sorry for the rant. But sometimes I get mad at all the finger pointing. I think Budweiser is a good company and I think craft beer will continue to grow. I am a craft beer fan a homebrewer (turning pro) and believe that bud and miller- coors are not the "evil empire" for their success in the beer industry.

If the beer tastes good I'll drink it.....

OK!! Lets assume that hitler brings the kettle to a boil by burning jewish babies, really hot.......DO I NEED TO GO ON???????????

At some point you have to account for WHERE THE BEER COMES FROM;)

InBev is a business... Of course they are going after its competitors! Just the same way that Sierra Nevada will go after New Belgium. It's rediculous to think otherwise!

If you want to keep believing that and if it helps you drink Buds, then that's great for you! However, your opinion doesn't change the fact that almost everyone else on here believes otherwise, nor does it change the fact that other breweries do not attack their competitors in the same way that InBev leverages their power to have their way, like a 3-year-old who wants candy. Budweiser isn't going to get all buddy-buddy with another brewery to advance their brand, they're going to offer them boat-loads of money or bring them to court. Craft breweries, on the other hand, are constantly spending time together, sharing hop fields, collaborating on new and interesting brews, passing around yeast.

There is zero comparison between a conglomerate like InBev with even the biggest craft breweries like Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams; apples and oranges my friend.

OK!! Lets assume that hitler brings the kettle to a boil by burning jewish babies, really hot.......DO I NEED TO GO ON???????????

Budweiser: "What has to die in order for our beer to stay on top?"

Craft breweries: "What can we do in order to lift our beer up?"

metanoia said:
Budweiser: "What has to die in order for our beer to stay on top?"

Craft breweries: "What can we do in order to lift our beer up?"

Budweiser: "What can we do in order to lift our beer up?"

Answer: Budweiser: "Not much, we are everywhere so... Take competitors business!"

All other answers are out the window!

metanoia said:
If you want to keep believing that and if it helps you drink Buds, then that's great for you! However, your opinion doesn't change the fact that almost everyone else on here believes otherwise, nor does it change the fact that other breweries do not attack their competitors in the same way that InBev leverages their power to have their way, like a 3-year-old who wants candy. Budweiser isn't going to get all buddy-buddy with another brewery to advance their brand, they're going to offer them boat-loads of money or bring them to court. Craft breweries, on the other hand, are constantly spending time together, sharing hop fields, collaborating on new and interesting brews, passing around yeast.

There is zero comparison between a conglomerate like InBev with even the biggest craft breweries like Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams; apples and oranges my friend.

It's not that it helps me drink Buds it's how I believe the business side of the industry works. Whether i'm drinking Stone's Double Bastard, Pliney, Firestones cask conditioned Velvet Merkin, or Budweiser it doesnt change the fact that I love beer! Or Firestone Walkers XIV which I'm currently sipping! And yes maybe to you and me there are many much better beers out there then Bud- not to all. My father for example does not like craft beer or my beer for that matter. He is a bud light and corona fan... Oh well we can't win them all.
But I would like to know- how many breweries have bud sued besides Dogfish and the obvious Budvar? And for what reasons? An what about- how many breweries has Bud paid "boat loads of money" to besides Goose Island?
There is plenty of space for craft breweries to grow this is why there is 3000+ breweries in the US now. So why would Budweiser "help" breweries that want to take their space? This is why when your on top you fight to keep competitors down and why when you not on top you are the under dog and "just trying to survive". And these craft breweries may spend time "helping" each other on an operations level but when it comes to sells I have never heard Sam Adams say well you should put yuengling brothers lager next to ours...

Dude, I don't have time to be your babysitter and look things up on Google for you. If you want to live in ignorance thinking Goose Island was the first "big" brewery that AB and/or InBev picked up (hint: start with Rolling Rock, Stella Artois) or that Dogfish Head was the only brewery that AB and/or InBev has brought to court (hint: start with the multiple interactions between AB nBev and Budvar), that's awesome for you. I'm going to go wash some yeast now. ;)

metanoia said:
Dude, I don't have time to be your babysitter and look things up on Google for you. If you want to live in ignorance thinking Goose Island was the first "big" brewery that AB and/or InBev picked up (hint: start with Rolling Rock, Stella Artois) or that Dogfish Head was the only brewery that AB and/or InBev has brought to court (hint: start with the multiple interactions between AB nBev and Budvar), that's awesome for you. I'm going to go wash some yeast now. ;)

Haha I already mentioned these... And I give it to you I wasn't thinking about rolling rock but Stella huh? That is not true Stella bought Budweiser. InBev bought AB. So obviously those interactions between the two were not really bud pushing around a big brewery! But apparently I'm ignorant my bad ill do research next time I post something I know an incredible amount about

lol You're comparing InBev using it's buying power to take over smaller craft beweries and their market share, to Hitler burning Jewish babies.

lol You're comparing InBev using it's buying power to take over smaller craft beweries and their market share, to Hitler burning Jewish babies.

LOL HAHAHAHA

No, more their willingness to wrongfully sue to try and run a brewery under.

My burning babies was in response to "I don't care where my beer comes from if it tastes good"

Your defense of Inbev when they do Intentionally decieve and actively try to hurt other breweries is a little disconcerting.

Shall I burn some babies for you?

Callacave said:
Why has craft beer been slowly growing and gaining some ground on the BMC crowd? I know there are many factors, but maybe this cost cutting is having a slight impact?

You might be on to something here. What I have read about the history of AB indicates that they did work to make a quality product but that they also used (possibly use) legal, illegal, and questionable methods to sell their product.

If InBev cheapens the product to the point that their customers notice (like Beck's), they could very well start losing market share. Cheaper product and lower market share could mean higher profits for InBev.

You're right. Good point. I'm not drinking anything made by Monsanto.

Ab inbev uses the same tactics of manipulating the law as monsanto.As far as not drinking anything made with monsanto products I say good for you, not all of us can avoid products like milk and soda.

"Fascism should be more properly called corporitism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."-Benito Mussolini.

Ab inbev uses the same tactics of manipulating the law as monsanto.As far as not drinking anything made with monsanto products I say good for you, not all of us can avoid products like milk and soda.

"Fascism should be more properly called corporitism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."-Benito Mussolini.

Angry much? I'm not going to tell you I am aware of Bud's business practices, because I'd be lying (though, I'd appreciate it if you post a link to facts before your resort to quotes from Mussolini). But this country has a free press that work like vultures to bring to light any wrongdoing. If politicians are in the pockets of business, and of course many are, it is brought to light quickly.

Bud makes mostly crappy beer. At least I don't like it. Maybe they are trying to make a better beer. That's what this topic is about. If you want to get all pissy about something you saw in Beer Wars, start your own topic.

Are we actually worried that inbev making a craftier beer is going to take market share away from other craft beer? My homebrew has a bigger impact on craft brewers than when i buy inbev products. If anything, bud 12 will cannibalize bud drinkers, and probably turn them into other craft drinkers.

And btw, sam adams is doing the same thing with it's bombers and 750s. They're not really that good but at least 25% cheaper. I don't see us bashing them for under pricing a segment where the real small guys need the margins associated with the larger bottles.

Just like 3 floyds probably isn't scared of boston lager, i doubt the rest of the craft industry is scared of project 12.

alane1 said:

This is a slippery slope my friend... What I get from this is that capitalism leads to Fascism. All businesses influence government- take "Joe the plumber" for example!

And thank you passedpawn you get best post on thread of day!

Bud makes mostly crappy beer. At least I don't like it. Maybe they are trying to make a better beer. That's what this topic is about. If you want to get all pissy about something you saw in Beer Wars, start your own topic.

You have a point. Honestly I forgot that this wasn't the "Inbev killing Beer" thread.

However, knowing that Inbev intentionally waters down recipes and is OK with losing market share as long as their die-hard customers pay too much for cheaply made beer, why would anyone trust their new offerings?

You might love it, and they turn around and trim it down to make it cheaper to brew.

I prefer mine smoked.

Order up!

You have a point. Honestly I forgot that this wasn't the "Inbev killing Beer" thread.

This is what has kept me from posting in this thread. There is no real nice way to put I do not care if it were liquid nectar of the gods, I will never buy any, drink any or even bother to ask, "Does it taste good?" because that would encourage someone else to spend money on it.

Zamial said:
This is what has kept me from posting in this thread. There is no real nice way to put I do not care if it were liquid nectar of the gods, I will never buy any, drink any or even bother to ask, "Does it taste good?" because that would encourage someone else to spend money on it.

You telling me you won't buy bourbon barrel stout from Goose Island?

Monsanto is a whole can of worms by itself. They pateneted plant genetics, alowing them to call any plant with even a minute amount of a certain genetic sequence. This would make any plant that was polinated by wither open air or insect activity, there property. Forcing small farmers to pay stipends to the royal court of monsanto. It could be argued that eventually all plant products will share a gentic line with monsanto products making them monsanto property, alowing them to fix food costs and supply.
That is evil on a hitler/stalin/lenin/Khmer rouge level.

Inbev is only evil on a monopolizing BOA or wal-mart level.

Comparing the two is kind of pointless. I think budwiser understands that and AB product will be frowned upon by the hardcore "craft beer" community.
I too would assert that home brewing would have more of an effect on craft beers bottom line than budwiser. Most of the ill educated public will continue drinking there product because its what they have always drank and craft beers are too "strong".

For me its a moot point I grow most of my own food in buckets, what i dont grow i buy from a local co op that uses heirloom genetics. I hunt my own meat, buying maybe 20% a year. I even brew my own beer, wine cider and mead. I dont want to be a slave to inc. America and would rather make it buy the sweat of my brow.
now for the naysayers who are gonna jump on the i cant do that boat, I too live in a apartment albiet a rural one [and I only pay 450 a month for rent! so take that too!!]

Wow... This thread went in a crazy direction!

Bottom line is project 12 produced terrible beer! But good for InBev to provide their brewers an outlet for creativity.

The fact that this is even being disscused is kind of like having a serious debate over the musical accolades of vanilla ice.

The fact that you posted in the thread shows your interest. It's OK that you're curious, no need to raise your nose at others who are as well. That's why I tried it. Won't be buying any more but my curiosity has been satiated.

You telling me you won't buy bourbon barrel stout from Goose Island?

I would pour it out in the grass.

Did you not know that INbev altered the recipe???? THEY CHANGED BUDWEISER TO MAKE IT EVEN CRAPPIER!!!!!! Ask somebody who loved Becks how it is now. Or fransiskaner. They don't give a flip about beer, just profits.

and even if it was still good, F()CK Inbev.

Monsanto is a whole can of worms by itself. They pateneted plant genetics, alowing them to call any plant with even a minute amount of a certain genetic sequence. This would make any plant that was polinated by wither open air or insect activity, there property. Forcing small farmers to pay stipends to the royal court of monsanto. It could be argued that eventually all plant products will share a gentic line with monsanto products making them monsanto property, alowing them to fix food costs and supply.
That is evil on a hitler/stalin/lenin/Khmer rouge level.

Inbev is only evil on a monopolizing BOA or wal-mart level.

Comparing the two is kind of pointless. I think budwiser understands that and AB product will be frowned upon by the hardcore "craft beer" community.
I too would assert that home brewing would have more of an effect on craft beers bottom line than budwiser. Most of the ill educated public will continue drinking there product because its what they have always drank and craft beers are too "strong".

For me its a moot point I grow most of my own food in buckets, what i dont grow i buy from a local co op that uses heirloom genetics. I hunt my own meat, buying maybe 20% a year. I even brew my own beer, wine cider and mead. I dont want to be a slave to inc. America and would rather make it buy the sweat of my brow.
now for the naysayers who are gonna jump on the i cant do that boat, I too live in a apartment albiet a rural one [and I only pay 450 a month for rent! so take that too!!]

START A THREAD!!!!

You have an awesome point, but while your analaogy is good, you are taking it too far.

(Yes I am too, but these people are WRONG!!;))

Back