Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a sixer on Monday and I didn't hate it, but I wasn't impressed either. Tasted kind of like a Bud Light/Honey Brown mix. It also had subtle metallic notes that I didn't care for.

Summary: 5 remain in my fridge.

Yep, that pretty much sums up the highlights of the product.

That is of course as long as you got it cold from the store... otherwise you wasted the money chilling the beer in the first place.

I'm still trying to find it... supposed be in today. Also looking for that Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop brew, no luck there either.

That is of course as long as you got it cold from the store... otherwise you wasted the money chilling the beer in the first place.

I'm still trying to find it... supposed be in today. Also looking for that Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop brew, no luck there either.

If you can buy a single, I suggest you do. Don't waste your money on that when you could be buying good beer, like that SN fresh hop.

If you can buy a single, I suggest you do. Don't waste your money on that when you could be buying good beer, like that SN fresh hop.

I'm not sure where you go to buy a single unless you assemble a mixer-sixer somewhere.

By the way...suggesting to someone else that they won't like a beer "Don't waste your money on that when you could be buying good beer.." is a bit presumptuous. That is of course unless you and JMD87 are identical twins with identical DNA and share identical taste buds.

I'm just sayin...

I'm not sure where you go to buy a single unless you assemble a mixer-sixer somewhere.

By the way...suggesting to someone else that they won't like a beer "Don't waste your money on that when you could be buying good beer.." is a bit presumptuous. That is of course unless you and JMD87 are identical twins with identical DNA and share identical taste buds.

I'm just sayin...

I hope I don't have an identical twin I don't know about....

I actually asked my local beer guy if I could buy a single and he responded "yep, and that's mostly what everyone has been doing with this beer" and he also said the american ale "actually tastes like beer!"

I'm sure I will think its good for BMC. I'm going to try it keeping an open mind, which I think people should do.

I'm just sayin...

What kind of EAC would I be if I didn't make blanket statements about taste?

I almost bought a 6 pack today.. But could'nt bring myself to pay $8.00 for budwiser... :rolleyes:

Not cheap, just when its sitting next to other good brews (flat tire, stone etc) for the same price.. Sorry Budwiser..

I'll echo the "tastes metallic" sentiment. I drank a second one a few days later to see if it was any better with lowered expectations and it wasn't. There's 4 left in my fridge that I can't seem to pawn them off on any of my guests. :)

had it tonight...i had hope that when going out to bars, that if they didnt have SNPA i could fall back on this. sadly, looks like we'll just have to keep going to bars that have a decent selection, haha. the best part of trying it tonight, my girlfriend tried it and said she was happy she had a SNPA there, and felt sorry because i had "that".

20 bucks for SNPA? What is it, 1995??!! Damn Connecticut and their high prices! This would be almost 50% more here!

I think maybe products like this could follow for AB and are a product of their takeover by InBev. InBev actually makes some damn fine products in Belgium, maybe they intend to make some decent brews here.

Oh.... my...... goodness, I've never in my life seen a 24 pack of SNPA! And under 20 dollars?! I have to drive around town to find just a 12 pack for less than 15 bucks. I think only me and 2 other people in this county drink it.

Plus my local Sam's sells Coor's, MGD, Bud, and Heineken.... blah.

I'm drinking my first right now, but sadly, I have a heavy cold so I'm just guessing based on what my HB tastes like with a cold too! :D At $7 for six I would NOT buy this for home consumption. However, I would buy it in a restaurant if there was nothing better available. It's light and tasty enough to go well with a meal, but it's not for sitting and enjoying as a beer in it's own right.......But like I said, I have a cold. :(

Ok, we opened up a bottle at my store for Beer Thirty.

It's not bad. The bottle i tried didnt have a dry hop aroma at all...in fact, it smelled like a sweeter Budweiser.

That being said, really, it's not bad. Good malt flavor, little on the the thin side, mildy bitter finish, but i can certainly see people drinking this. Hopefully this becomes more of a gateway ale than Fat Tire.

Bought a six pack at Walmart for $6, so it is not a bad price.

First bottle was right out of the fridge. No strong flavor or aroma as I was hoping. It got better as I sipped on it for ~20mins to see how it did with warming up.

Turns out this beer gets better with warmth, as should be expected. Next 3 bottles I had were left to warm a bit in the glass. After I was done, the hop aroma from the empty glass could be picked up from ~5 feet away! This was the best clue to enjoying the beer. I now know what Cascades smell like :p

The glass tonight was allowed to warm up to approx cellar temps. The carton actually says the best serving temp is 45F !!! Bud if you are reading this check your thermometers! I think you are still stuck in the lager mindset. It needs to be changed to ~65F. For those of you that complained about lack of flavor and hop aroma, leave the bottle out to warm up a bit. It gets better.

For me this gets 4caps out of 5 in my book. I would buy this one again given its price here and I now know how to properly enjoy this beer.

Edit: The bottles are great as well. The labels slide off with a little soaking and the glue rubs off with soap and water.

:mug:

i liked it

i drank all 6 back to back

i think it was well balanced, if they were going to add more malt taste to it they would have to add more hops to compensate.

i could drink these all day long

I'm amazed when you guys talk about prices of a six pack.

the stuff I drink goes for around $18 for six.
A cheap El Crapo beer goes for $12.

It all depends on my mood. Green Flash West Coast IPA is about 10 a 6 pack and I have no problem paying it.

I am very used to paying 10 dollars for a 750 of Alesmith or a specialty bottle of Deschutes type stuff, and if I want a 2005 Cantillon Iris, well, I'll get it. The cost is worth it, in my opinion.

I don't drink to get drunk. I drink because I love good beer, and a lot off good beer ain't cheap.

It all depends on my mood. Green Flash West Coast IPA is about 10 a 6 pack and I have no problem paying it.

I am very used to paying 10 dollars for a 750 of Alesmith or a specialty bottle of Deschutes type stuff, and if I want a 2005 Cantillon Iris, well, I'll get it. The cost is worth it, in my opinion.

I don't drink to get drunk. I drink because I love good beer, and a lot off good beer ain't cheap.

i think you missed his point. he was saying that the cheapest beer over there is more expensive than your green flash ipa. he's saying beer is cheap in the US.

My brother-n-law is a die hard Budweiser drinker. It is all that he ever drinks and I don't expect him to either try or enjoy anything else. While working on my house my wife bought a 6 pack. Since it was a Budweiser product he decided to give a go. I could barely believe what he said next. He said the stuff is actually pretty good. So with that I believe there is hope to for those hardcore Budweiser drinkers to actually enjoy a different style of beer even if it is the Budweiser American Ale. Now he knows there is something else out there other than what he drinks. Next time I will have to slip him a micro and see how he likes that one.

My brother-n-law is a die hard Budweiser drinker. It is all that he ever drinks and I don't expect him to either try or enjoy anything else. While working on my house my wife bought a 6 pack. Since it was a Budweiser product he decided to give a go. I could barely believe what he said next. He said the stuff is actually pretty good. So with that I believe there is hope to for those hardcore Budweiser drinkers to actually enjoy a different style of beer even if it is the Budweiser American Ale. Now he knows there is something else out there other than what he drinks. Next time I will have to slip him a micro and see how he likes that one.

Better yet, just bottle some better micro in an bud american ale bottle and trick him!

Had some over the weekend at MD Brewday.

Personal notes:
Commercial calls it "dry hopped" - there is no aroma at all to indicate this. No taste of dry hopping (that slightly grassy/pine hint).

Like the rest of Bud products - it has no flavor. I would have accepted "Bad" as a flavor - however I couldn't even say that this was bad - it had NO discernable flavor at all.

Cascade hops - doesn't taste or smell like cascades. I call B.S.

Overall: Like other Bud products - it just has no flavor. It's not bad, but it's not good. It's nothing.

When I first opened it, I got cascade, and BUDWEISER.... It has that back of the throat nasal beechwood aged yuk.

It is not bad, just like bud with a bit of carmel color, and a tiny pinch of artificial hop flavoring.

--Serve very cold..:D

I actually have my second sixer in the fridge. I bought the first one, along with a sixer of ShockTop and a 12 of Guinness for a party over the weekend. The party was kind of spur of the moment and a decent selection of beer is a drive away so I was at the mercy of the grocery store. :mug:

As said earlier, the BAA isn't that bad once it warms up a bit. Money is a bit tight lately so this may find its way into some sort of quasi-semi rotation in my garage fridge. *snicker*

During the party I was making half-and-halves with BAA/Guinness and ST/Guinness, both of which actually went well together. The ST/Guinness got dubbed as a "Candycorn" and was quite popular. This was primarily a BMC crowd but the colors of this drink were purty so people wanted to drink them. :cross: I'll start ordering them with this name at the pub to see if the name catches on just for giggles.

My boss gave me and two others in my office a bottle of this to try. :rockin:
I don't have to buy it. lol

The first thing I see is that the bottle I got has about an oz. less then the other two. :mad:
It's a good inch below the top label. I'll be taking points away for not having the bottle filled right.

Will be tasting it tonight after my run, will report back later.

I like it; its in the same class as Sam Adams Boston Lager, which I also enjoy. I do agree that it doesn't have much in the way of late hop character, but neither does SNPA in my opinion.

Funny story. I poured one for a friend and he drank it without knowing it was Bud American Ale. He really enjoyed it. Then he went to the fridge and saw the bottles and started trash talking it up and down. Well, he poured himself one anyway and couldn't finish the glass, as this one apparently "sucked balls". I told him he was an idiot, that it was the exact same beer he had just drank. He was flabbergasted; couldn't believe it. Same thing with my wife. She hated the first one she drank, until I told her I liked it. Then she had another one and though it was pretty good.

Most people who know beer won't give this one a fighting chance simply because "Budweiser" is on the label.

I can't say that I liked it but I can't say that I did not like it.
The color was great and clear as I would expect from Bud. The aroma was good, just weak. I had to really get my face into the beer to get it. But once I did, it was nice.
The first few sips were nice, dry and sweet at the same time. Sweet up front with a dry finish. As I drank this the dry finish started to get to me. It started to dry out my mouth and I started tasting something odd. Not sure what it was or if it really was there. May have been the dryness messing with the taste buds.

All in all it's ok.
"Most people who know beer won't give this one a fighting chance simply because "Budweiser" is on the label."
It's funny you say that because if one of the local micro breweries came out with this beer I would think it was crap. Where as I say that it's good for a bud.

I'm drinking my first (and probably my last) Budweiser American ale right now. Although it exceeds my expectations, they were very low to begin with so that's probably not saying much. It's definitely 100 times better than regular Budweiser, but 100 times worse than the stuff I'm accustomed to. I don't expect this beer to succeed because it will be too flavorful for fizzy yellow piss drinkers, but far to weak for microbrew and homebrew drinkers. I'll give credit to Budweiser for a valiant effort, but my money will continue to go toward homebrew ingredients and quality mircobrews.

Edit: I poured a DFH 60 right after drinking the Bud Am. ale and was quickly reminded why I will never spend a dime on that stuff.

Most people who know beer won't give this one a fighting chance simply because "Budweiser" is on the label.

I personally saw it differently. Budweiser has state of the art breweries, access to the finest ingredients in the world, and a staff that's experienced and highly trained. If anyone can make a quality brew its them. The problem is that their beer has to appeal to the masses, and the masses for the most part aren't ready for bold and flavorful beer. I gave this beer a chance and, as I said before, it exceeded my expectations but can't come close to competing with the stuff I'm used to.

I've been too lazy to write up a formal review yet, but I have now had it both on tap and in bottles, so I should get off my ass and write it up...

But I wanna share a little factoid with y'all...I'm in the process of doing an oxyclean bottle soak to remove the labels on all the empties I haven't got around to doing yet...and I had barely submereged the bottles when the labels on the BAA had begun to float off...Probably the fastest label removal I have ever seen.

If it were $5-$6/6pk around here, or... even better, if they sold it in a 20-pk around here, then I might consider buying it.

But we go through too much beer (2x30 High Life per week, plus homebrew kegs) to spend the $7.99 asking price in these parts.

Backing up - BM mentioned how much Bud costs in MO ... even more shocking, to me, when I visited MO was how hard it is to find Miller products!! You folks love your Bud! Not I, I am a Michelob/Miller guy, that will occasionally drink some Bud Heavy to remind him of his ancestry (hicks).

Anyways, back to drinking apfelwein. :)

For 5 bucks a 6 pack I don't think it's really half bad. Very drinkable if you ask me. If Im in the mood for an american light lager, this is works as pretty damn good substitute.

I had my first taste of this stuff tonight. I had a couple bottles at a local tavern. I ordered one and the bartender looked at me funny when I asked for a glass. She didn't understand that I wanted to see it and smell it before I drank it. She says "you won't like it- it's really dark." I just laughed.

All in all, it's not a bad amber ale. I liked it. I liked the nose, and I liked the malt that came through. And since I'm not a hophead, I liked that it wasn't overly hopped. I would buy a sixer of this beer.

Back