Bud Select "55"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone brought some (and left some ) of this to my party Sat.

They should not be allowed to call this beer.

55 calories of colored water. There is no body, no flavor,,,no anything

I'm sure it will be a big hit:confused::mad:

So they had to one up MGD 64 or should I say step down?

You should do an experiment by placing one of those bud 55s and a nice micro out on the curb and see which one disappears first.

So, comparitively speaking, that 64 calorie stuff should be like drinking a good micro.

Jeebus. 55 calories, that stuff must taste like Aquafina.

According to BeerSmith that is well out of the 1A style guidelines. I'll call it style 0A. OG 1.013, FG 1.000. 3 IBUs.

Here's my clone recipe: :D

4# 2-row
1# Flaked Rice
1/8 oz Galena hops (probably about 6 pellets)

Mash/sparge/boil 3 gallons. Ferment with WLP840 at 50*F for 4 weeks. Dilute with 7 gallons of RO water. Yields 10 gallons. Don't expect to get lucky if your girl drinks six pints, at 1.6% all she will be doing is going to the bathroom all night.

According to BeerSmith that is well out of the 1A style guidelines. I'll call it style 0A. OG 1.013, FG 1.000. 3 IBUs.

4# 2-row
1# Flaked Rice

Mash/sparge/boil 3 gallons. Ferment with WLP840 at 50*F for 4 weeks. Dilute with 7 gallons of RO water. Yields 10 gallons. Don't expect to get lucky if your girl drinks six pints, at 1.6% all she will be doing is going to the bathroom all night.

That would be great for 10 gallons

And to think a beer distributor told me that MGD 64 was the lowest calorie beer that you could still even technically call 'beer'.

Sadly, these big breweries could make a great low calorie brew if they cared at all.

Whats the point of drinking a low taste, low calorie , low alcohol beer, if you have to drink twice as many to ingest the same amount of alcohol at a "real" beer.

I wouldnt make beer brats with any of those low cal crud brews.

I would like to propose an effort to brew a huge calorie beer, maybe to compete with a whopper with cheese, call it the coronary bypass and sell it to people who are against this fizzy water in a bottle

and if you add 2 pellets each at intervals, you can say it's triple hopped!!!

Can't wait to see who comes out with 46 calorie beer...:confused:

46???? In this country, in my lifetime, I am sure we will see a ZERO calorie "beer".

And believe me, I will SEE that beer, I sure aint gonne ingest it...

Here's a nice Write-up about it

Anheuser-Busch Thought About Three 55-Calorie Beer Brands - Adages - Advertising Age

Here's one of the replies
"I like beer, but I don't like the idea of drinking over 100+ calories when going out with a few friends to grab a drink after work."

As I said in the OP...It should be a big hit:(

Made me think of this
"All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow." -- Dave Barry

4# 2-row
1# Flaked Rice

I thought I heard somewhere that MGD 64 was 2.8% ABV so I am guessing they have some Beano like product to make this beer super super dry and get close to 2.5 - 2.8 out of it, like 1.018 to .998

It is funny how in the homebrew world you hear to not let your last running dip below 1.010 but they are getting close to that in their OG

Here's a nice Write-up about it

Anheuser-Busch Thought About Three 55-Calorie Beer Brands - Adages - Advertising Age

Here's one of the replies
"I like beer, but I don't like the idea of drinking over 100+ calories when going out with a few friends to grab a drink after work."

As I said in the OP...It should be a big hit:(

Made me think of this
"All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow." -- Dave Barry

heh. I like educating myself, but I didn't click your link because I don't like the idea of reading. /sarc

If I did my calculations right, out of 55 calories at 2.4% ABV, 47 of those calories are ethanol. That leaves 8 calories.

That calculation was done using calories per gram of ethanol. If I use a different method, using the information from their website that each 12 oz. bottle has 1.9 grams carbohydrates and 0.5 grams protein... that's 7.6 calories from carbs and 2 calories from protein. So, that leaves 45.4 calories dedicated to ethanol.

Either way, it's about 8-10 calories of pure flavor goodness!

Either way, it's about 8-10 calories of pure flavor goodness!

Wow, that is almost as much flavor as a whole Lifesaver dissolved in a bottle of water.

So I think I could save myself the trouble of brewing a clone and just dump a bottle of Sierra Nevada along with some vodka into 5 gallons of water in a keg. Chill carb and party like it's 1999.

Bud 55, making children from a hundred years ago look like professional drinkers.

Seriously, who drinks a beer that is 2.x% abv and has 8 calories of actual tastable material in it? That's ludicrous.

Another comment from that article:
By shellymorgan18 | Los Angeles, IL August 19, 2009 04:05:40 pm:

My guess is that most of the people speaking against 55-calorie beer are overweight and/or unhealthy (and have no idea that they are) or alcoholics. Do any of you people realize that America is the fattest country in the world? And for you Chicagoans and other Midwesterners, you are at the top of the 2009 list of America's fattest cities. Is drinking full calorie beer really worth the devastating health conditions that come with being overweight or obese or consuming too much alcohol? Wake up Chicago and the Midwest, and wake up America. Please stop proving the rest of the world right in thinking we are fat and stupid. You are embarrassing yourselves and the rest of the country. Being fat is no laughing matter – any intelligent person knows and understands this. And the only thing worse than being fat is being ignorant. It shouldn't take a heart attack or other health condition for you to make the decision to eat healthier and cut calories. I do hope that more beer companies jump on the low-calorie bandwagon. It shows that these companies are not just trying to make a profit, but they also care about America's health.

Clever troll or hopelessly deluded?

Well, if it's a choice between drinking OJ and Bud Select 55, I choose OJ with a dash of Vodka! :D

• Bud Select 55 – 55 calories, 1.9 g carbs, 2.4% abv
  • MGD Light 64 – 64 calories, 2.4 g carbs, 2.8% abv
  • Bud Select – 99 calories, 3.1 g carbs, 4.3% abv
  • skim milk – 129 calories, 17.9 g carbs
  • orange juice – 168 calories, 28.2 g carbs

I think the best part is that AB is charging the same for the 55 as the regular select! Go buy a case of Bud Select and cut it with water...

Latest posts

Back